Welcome Demarius Jacobs!

gobillsgo

44 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He has a really nice handle, actually. Very good passer, too. Shows off both in transition. He's not a PG by trade, but he's got a pretty complete guard skill set.

I really wish the videos would show on ball defense.  Does he move his feet quickly?  Where are his hands?  Does he keep in front of the ball? Does he fight through screens? Or does he play matador defense like many do in HS.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I really wish the videos would show on ball defense.  Does he move his feet quickly?  Where are his hands?  Does he keep in front of the ball? Does he fight through screens? Or does he play matador defense like many do in HS.

Those highlight videos wouldn't get many clicks.

Soderberg was the first coach I heard say this, but I've heard it a few more times since: Basically, you recruit the most talented players you can get with the expectation of teaching them to defend, and if they're already sound defenders, that's just gravy.

I haven't seen much written about his defense but will try to dig up a scouting report that mentions that part of his game.

From first blush, this looks to be a good signing.  I am with the others who call for a JUCO SG commitment, maybe Gatling or Mahan (not sure about both) and then a grad transfer point.  The back court is wide open with Hines and Roby gone and Goodwin in limbo.  And for whatever reason I don't see Thatch or Pearson as filling that void right now.

For those bemoaning the inability of signatures still out there, hang on.  If you look at the Verbal Commits SLU page, almost all of our targets remain unsigned ... for 2018 as well.  Tyson Walker as a point guard.   Shooting guards Junub Char Chuol, Allen Griffin, Dallas Watson; SFs Karrington Davis and Madut Akec and then JUCOs Gatling, Mahan and even Tommy Burton, Jr.  Not saying we'll get all or any but to say the signing cupboard is bare is not quite true.

247Sports write-up. From the piece:

Hillcrest's coach is the only one quoted. He says SLU had been recruiting him for a year and a half and that the relationship with the coaches was the main selling point.

He was supposed to visit Illinois this week but cancelled the trip. #thoughtsandprayers go out to all the Illinois recruiting writers and Illini fans on Twitter.

He had also been strongly considering Western Kentucky.

The coach's scouting report is as expected: "He's a dynamic, elite athlete that can handle it and get to the basket and play above the rim," Weaver told 247Sports. "He's going to be really good in league."

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

From first blush, this looks to be a good signing.  I am with the others who call for a JUCO SG commitment, maybe Gatling or Mahan (not sure about both) and then a grad transfer point.  The back court is wide open with Hines and Roby gone and Goodwin in limbo.  And for whatever reason I don't see Thatch or Pearson as filling that void right now.

For those bemoaning the inability of signatures still out there, hang on.  If you look at the Verbal Commits SLU page, almost all of our targets remain unsigned ... for 2018 as well.  Tyson Walker as a point guard.   Shooting guards Junub Char Chuol, Allen Griffin, Dallas Watson; SFs Karrington Davis and Madut Akec and then JUCOs Gatling, Mahan and even Tommy Burton, Jr.  Not saying we'll get all or any but to say the signing cupboard is bare is not quite true.

Isn't that kind of definitional? Meaning if someone was a target and signs somewhere else he's not really a target anymore, right?

49 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I saw Thatch, who was sitting on the rail to the tunnel used by the officials and there were two kids on Fred's left, so Jacobs was one,  who was the other?

I sit on that end and pretty sure it was Jacobs...had to go to the highlight videos to confirm.  Also saw our own Larry Legend come over and give him a little face time.

His highlights don't show much shooting, in part because his elevation and dunks are so spectacular.  His stats this year show 40% from 3 point range, but the sample size with only 10 made shots is too small to get too excited about.  His free throw shooting which has a good sample size is 87%.  That number exceeds our best shooters with 75% by quite a bit. Not hard to imagine him as the goto inbound guy in the closing minutes of a close game. So while he may not have the shoot first mentality, his FT percentage is a good indicator that he can shoot. Good 3 point shooters are generally good FT shooters.

24 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

I sit on that end and pretty sure it was Jacobs...had to go to the highlight videos to confirm.  Also saw our own Larry Legend come over and give him a little face time.

Thatch and Jacobs both sat in the front row behind the bench. Bonner sat behind them and Hughes stopped by at halftime.

28 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

His highlights don't show much shooting, in part because his elevation and dunks are so spectacular.  His stats this year show 40% from 3 point range, but the sample size with only 10 made shots is too small to get too excited about.  His free throw shooting which has a good sample size is 87%.  That number exceeds our best shooters with 75% by quite a bit. Not hard to imagine him as the goto inbound guy in the closing minutes of a close game. So while he may not have the shoot first mentality, his FT percentage is a good indicator that he can shoot. Good 3 point shooters are generally good FT shooters.

Good post. Based on those FT numbers, if he isn’t already a good three point shooter, he has the tools to be. It’ll be nice to have a guy out there who can close the game out. He has the handles for it too, so hopefully the decision making is also there

13 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Thatch and Jacobs both sat in the front row behind the bench. Bonner sat behind them and Hughes stopped by at halftime.

that is what i call a full court press!   great job by ford if indeed all engineered as it appears.   ford can definitely recruit. 

39 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Is this your source for that first stat?

There's also this or this, both of which show him at 31.4% (11/35) in the 2017 EYBL season. I saw somewhere else that had him at 35% in an AAU season, but that might have either been a prior year or single tournament.

So he's basically taking about 1 3-pointer a game; he's just not looking for 3-pointers with much frequency, but has that skill in his back pocket if necessary.

Also, his AAU stats show him above 80% from the FT line, so he will automatically be one of our best in that department, if not the best.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that is what i call a full court press!   great job by ford if indeed all engineered as it appears.   ford can definitely recruit. 

It was sealed when Billiken royalty Larry Hughes speaks with you with some help from Anthony Bonner no way he could leave the Fetz without saying he was committing.

43 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

After Larry sat with the commentators first half and jumped on the broadcast I saw him chatting with Doc and Ross for about 90 seconds, during which time he pointed straight across the floor to where Bonner/Jacobs were sitting and then Doc and Larry fist-bumped. 

NextYearBill likes this

54 minutes ago, TheOne said:

After Larry sat with the commentators first half and jumped on the broadcast I saw him chatting with Doc and Ross for about 90 seconds, during which time he pointed straight across the floor to where Bonner/Jacobs were sitting and then Doc and Larry fist-bumped. 

You are Larry Hughes!  Fess up!

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Is this your source for that first stat?

There's also this or this, both of which show him at 31.4% (11/35) in the 2017 EYBL season. I saw somewhere else that had him at 35% in an AAU season, but that might have either been a prior year or single tournament.

So he's basically taking about 1 3-pointer a game; he's just not looking for 3-pointers with much frequency, but has that skill in his back pocket if necessary.

Also, his AAU stats show him above 80% from the FT line, so he will automatically be one of our best in that department, if not the best.

Wiz posted a Maxprep link in page 3 of this thread.

19 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Not that much different a situation vs when Ford took over a roster full of Crews recruits. 

Difference is we have 5 studs already here in Foreman, Bess, French, Goodwin all that we've seen for most of complete season, and Santos who is off similar pedigree. Ideally he reaches level where he needs to get 3-4 top 100 guys each year and we become another mid level success story ala The Zags :) 

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Those highlight videos wouldn't get many clicks.

yep speaking of there must be whole games out in the ether if one wants to do the homework. I'm going with what you've heard from coaches and what we've seen from Ford's coaching. Plus French has that Bob Gibson glare I don't think he'll be happy if you slack on the D when you come aboard his ship.

5 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Was Willie in town?

mIMG33016.jpg

willie-lebron.jpg

I was referring to 2 of the 4 successful NBAers, which I listed.  I could have been clearer, but I think you knew what I meant.;)

I don't consider Willie's NBA career the equal of the four I named.