Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is a real possibility that our “old friends” X and Cincy could both be number one seeds.  Good time to be college hoops fan in Cincinnati.

The @Pistol household should be happy about X not sure about Cincy.  

20 minutes ago, almaman said:

So both Chicago and Cincinnati each have 2 teams that we were in same league. Plus Philly/where we had 3 and maybe 2 at same time I think? Thoughts ?s corrections others? 

I am confused by your Philly statement -  We had St. Joes, LaSalle, and Temple at the same time - is that what you are asking?

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I don’t know how but mizzou is doing quite well in SEC despite losing Porter Jr and a few other transfers this season. 

They are doing well because they have guys who can shoot the basketball. If we had one of those shooters or AD we would be an excellent team. 

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I don’t know how but mizzou is doing quite well in SEC despite losing Porter Jr and a few other transfers this season. 

I honestly dont either. 2/3 of their team is the same from last year, they have a high school senior, a player who fouls out every game, and a grad transfer. Crazy. Martin should win SEC coach of the year with that roster

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Doesn’t matter about Mizzou honestly; they won’t sniff the SEC tournament quarterfinals. Went to the Auburn-UGA game in Athens last night and dribblin’ War Eagles are by far the class of the SEC; Tennessee is surprising people this year, but Auburn has multiple outside threats and Davion Mitchell will be a household name by April. Pearl ran a box and one on the Dawgs yesterday and Mitchell blanketed UGA PG Jared Harper. Ran a half-court press and Georgia couldn’t cut into the lead at the half. They are a high energy high flying bunch down there on the Plains. Look for AU to possibly replicate the run Frank Martin and the Cock$ had last year, minus the surprise of a non-Kentucky SEC team making a Deep run. 

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I am no mizzou fan, but I do follow them because I believe they can be a threat to us recruiting wise. I will say I am very surprised with their season but I don't follow SEC basketball other than Kentucky. Is the SEC in a down year, by SEC standards of course.

SEC basketball on the whole is not good. 

5 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I honestly dont either. 2/3 of their team is the same from last year, they have a high school senior, a player who fouls out every game, and a grad transfer. Crazy. Martin should win SEC coach of the year with that roster

- KA. Imagine them if they got more than 2 n 1/2 minutes out of MP Jr

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

SEC basketball on the whole is not good. 

The SEC is on the upswing in basketball. They have had an influx of new coaches who have really turned things around. 

They are #3 in conference RPI this year and that is with Kentucky haveing a down year for them.

Lunardi has 8 SEC teams in right now. 

Bobby Metzinger likes this

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, CBFan said:

The @Pistol household should be happy about X not sure about Cincy.  

Yeah, my wife is a diehard Xavier fan. Her parents went there, and they've had season tickets her whole life. Of course, she went to SLU for undergrad and only cares about the program through me, and went to UC for law school but they're the crosstown rival of Xavier, so she hates them.

We live pretty close to UC, so I always tend to root for them to do well. They're actually playing over at NKU this season while Fifth Third Arena is renovated, so unfortunately the neighborhood is missing the buzz while this ascension is happening.

UC has obviously been #1 before, but Xavier has never been ranked higher than fifth, so today likely represents the first time both will be in the top 5 together, and will be Xavier's highest ranking ever. That assumes UC does crack the top 5 - I think they should, but some polls I've seen are predicting they stay put.

By the way, if any of you are missing those Majerus teams and the way they play defense, I'd encourage you to check out UC this season. Imagine those Majerus teams with a little more size, length, and athleticism. The defensive effort never budges. It's really something.

14 hours ago, dlarry said:

The SEC is on the upswing in basketball. They have had an influx of new coaches who have really turned things around. 

They are #3 in conference RPI this year and that is with Kentucky haveing a down year for them.

Lunardi has 8 SEC teams in right now. 

Wow. 8 teams?! Our good friend Rick Barnes is running a team of paper tigers in Knoxville right now. Look for them to the bed early in St. Louis and in the first round of the tournament. In the span of a week they knock off Kentucky in Lexington for the first time since the Clinton administration, but get absolutely housed by 28 in Tuscaloosa by a very mediocre Bama squad. 

Want to know the last time Kentucky finished conference play with a sub .500 record? 1989 - Sutton's last season in Lexington. 

24 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Wow. 8 teams?! Our good friend Rick Barnes is running a team of paper tigers in Knoxville right now. Look for them to the bed early in St. Louis and in the first round of the tournament. In the span of a week they knock off Kentucky in Lexington for the first time since the Clinton administration, but get absolutely housed by 28 in Tuscaloosa by a very mediocre Bama squad. 

Want to know the last time Kentucky finished conference play with a sub .500 record? 1989 - Sutton's last season in Lexington. 

currently Florida is a 47 at realtime rpi but the other 7 SEC programs are all top 40 and i contend any top 40 rpi team typically gets in.   there have only been a handful of top 40 rpi teams snubbed ever. 

sec will get at least 7. 

big east has 5 forsures and prvidence is at 42.  

big ten currently only has 4 under 40.   somehow they will get more.  you watch.

big 12 has 5 under 40 and texas in at 48, 

pac 12 only has 2 the arizona's

acc has 6 under 40 with Louisville and florida state in the 40's

a10 still only has rhode island but st bonnie is at 43

american athletic has 4 40 and under

mountain west has 2

west coast has the typical gonzaga and st mary's under 40

those are the only conferences that imo will/can get multiple bids.  

that would leave 26-27 for the conference tourney champions not currently at a top 40 rpi.  there are 22 conferences that do not have a top 40 rpi team.    they all will get a bid.   so that would only leave 4-5 other at large teams to get an invite assuming no tourney winners from the top 10 conferences let bumped.   so roughly you can go to the mid 40's of the rpi to feel good about the chances of getting in assuming no upsets.   not a lot of breathing room.  

Zink likes this

20 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

You are making Mizzou's situation / Martin's coaching job sound as amazing as possible with this assessment.  I do think they have over-performed expectations after losing MPJ, but it is not like their team is full of nobodies.

• Mizzou was mediocre last year (and all the years under Kim Anderson), but not absolutely horrid.  Mizzou was ranked 156 in 2017 and 159 in 2016 by KenPom.  SLU is 135 right now by contrast.
  • It is actually about 1/2 of their team from last year that returned (not 2/3).  They had at least 6 new guys on scholarship this season (2 Porters, Roberts, Robertson, Tilmon, Harris) if even 1/2 of them are injured, gone, or unable to play.  Further, they returned 4 of their top 5 players from last year (Barnett, Puryear, Phillips, Geist) and one of those is now suspended.  The players that left were mostly the dregs of the roster that Cuonzo ran off.
  • Barnett who is arguably their best returning player only played 1/2 of the season last year.
  • Their "HS senior" was a top 25 or so recruit.  Marvin Bagley at Duke is probably the best player in the country, probably #1 pick and also a "HS senior".  Age is just a number.
  • Tilmon does foul a lot, but he's actually only fouled out of 7 games (out of 25).  Further, Mizzou is pretty loaded with big men, so Tilmon's foul trouble doesn't hurt them nearly as much as say French's foul trouble hurts SLU.
  • Their "grad transfer" is leading the team in scoring and shooting over 42% from 3pt land.

So this season's SLU team is in the range of where Mizzou's team was last year.  Subtracting Roby / Hines is probably similar to what Mizzou lost from last year.  If you added 2 top 50 recruits and a grad transfer who would lead the team in scoring and shoot 42% from 3, I'm guessing most people would expect us to be a tournament team next year.  I think some people are expecting us to be a tournament team next year by just adding Gordon, Thatch & Pearson.

It pretty much boils down to Kassius Robertson has far exceeded expectations and that has led Mizzou to exceed expectations.  Ignoring the noise of losing MPJ, Roberts, Harris, etc. and it really isn't that wildly out of line.

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

currently Florida is a 47 at realtime rpi but the other 7 SEC programs are all top 40 and i contend any top 40 rpi team typically gets in.   there have only been a handful of top 40 rpi teams snubbed ever. 

sec will get at least 7. 

big east has 5 forsures and prvidence is at 42.  

big ten currently only has 4 under 40.   somehow they will get more.  you watch.

big 12 has 5 under 40 and texas in at 48, 

pac 12 only has 2 the arizona's

acc has 6 under 40 with Louisville and florida state in the 40's

a10 still only has rhode island but st bonnie is at 43

american athletic has 4 40 and under

mountain west has 2

west coast has the typical gonzaga and st mary's under 40

those are the only conferences that imo will/can get multiple bids.  

that would leave 26-27 for the conference tourney champions not currently at a top 40 rpi.  there are 22 conferences that do not have a top 40 rpi team.    they all will get a bid.   so that would only leave 4-5 other at large teams to get an invite assuming no tourney winners from the top 10 conferences let bumped.   so roughly you can go to the mid 40's of the rpi to feel good about the chances of getting in assuming no upsets.   not a lot of breathing room.  

Here is a fun question, what do you do with St. Johns if they when out?  Given the way they have played over the last week and a half it is not a crazy idea.  They would have only 18 wins (17 D1), probably finish seventh or eighth in the BE,  and have an RPI around 49.  On the other hand......... They would have 2 top 25 wins, six top 50 wins, 10/11 top 100 wins and have played the sixth toughest schedule according to the RPI.

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

• Mizzou was mediocre last year (and all the years under Kim Anderson), but not absolutely horrid.  Mizzou was ranked 156 in 2017 and 159 in 2016 by KenPom.  SLU is 135 right now by contrast.
  •  

eh, mizzou had almost a  full roster, we have 6 d-1 players. 

57 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Here is a fun question, what do you do with St. Johns if they when out?  Given the way they have played over the last week and a half it is not a crazy idea.  They would have only 18 wins (17 D1), probably finish seventh or eighth in the BE,  and have an RPI around 49.  On the other hand......... They would have 2 top 25 wins, six top 50 wins, 10/11 top 100 wins and have played the sixth toughest schedule according to the RPI.

-I admit a bias to the little guys and squarely against the big guys and a problem I have is it seems the committee changes the criteria each year to get the most P5 teams in the tourney, whether it is who you beat, who you played, who lost to, rpi, sos, noncon sos, road wins, top 50 wins, etc so they'll figure out a way

24 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I admit a bias to the little guys and squarely against the big guys and a problem I have is it seems the committee changes the criteria each year to get the most P5 teams in the tourney, whether it is who you beat, who you played, who lost to, rpi, sos, noncon sos, road wins, top 50 wins, etc so they'll figure out a way

The Infamous "eye test."   St Johns passes it......