Other games

brianstl

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, dlarry said:

The SEC is on the upswing in basketball. They have had an influx of new coaches who have really turned things around. 

They are #3 in conference RPI this year and that is with Kentucky haveing a down year for them.

Lunardi has 8 SEC teams in right now. 

My wife is a Vols Alum and I have enjoyed watching them this year. Rick Barnes has done a nice coaching job with really no top recruits. They had a visit from a 5* guard, and they only have one senior leaving. Grant Williams is their best player and is tough to stop inside.

GW up 45-27 oon VCU at the half, If GW wins and we beat Richmond we would be in soloe possesion of 4th place

GW won and so did SLU, 4th place!!

Edited by drkelsey55
final score
NextYearBill likes this

Nothing happens in a vacuum.  Geedubya may appear hot, but who have they played and where over those last five games?  Three of their four wins came at home.  And two of those were against low-level teams La Salle and Richmond.  They did beat VCU but that again was at home and VCU today is not the VCU of the past few years.  I will admit that beating them by 24 did surprise me.  The only road win in that time was over a low level Umass team.  But winning breeds confidence and GeeDubya is certainly doing some of that.  Their loss, however, was on the road and to a mid-level Mason team in a rivalry game.  Prior to this stretch, they were hammered four times in a row by the league's upper echelon.  But they are indeed peaking right now.  Yuta and the Wannabees.

Conversely, remember when Richmond and Duquesne were the feel good stories of the year?  Richmond has lost five of their last six and Duquesne has nose dived by losing seven of their last eight.  Which to my way of thinking back in October is about right.  I expected both to be at the bottom of the mid-level teams and fully expected Duquesne to be a participant in the PIG come March.  We need to win against Geedubya and then steal one at Duquesne.  If that happened, and the Bonnies had their spot locked (which they will at either #2 or #3) come next Saturday, they may approach that last game somewhat differently than if a title or something was on the line.

Lots of things can still happen as the stretch week begins.  First things first -- I am a huge Rhodey fan come Friday against Dayton.  Let's start there.

43 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Nothing happens in a vacuum.  Geedubya may appear hot, but who have they played and where over those last five games?  Three of their four wins came at home.  And two of those were against low-level teams La Salle and Richmond.  They did beat VCU but that again was at home and VCU today is not the VCU of the past few years.  I will admit that beating them by 24 did surprise me.  The only road win in that time was over a low level Umass team.  But winning breeds confidence and GeeDubya is certainly doing some of that.  Their loss, however, was on the road and to a mid-level Mason team in a rivalry game.  Prior to this stretch, they were hammered four times in a row by the league's upper echelon.  But they are indeed peaking right now.  Yuta and the Wannabees.

Conversely, remember when Richmond and Duquesne were the feel good stories of the year?  Richmond has lost five of their last six and Duquesne has nose dived by losing seven of their last eight.  Which to my way of thinking back in October is about right.  I expected both to be at the bottom of the mid-level teams and fully expected Duquesne to be a participant in the PIG come March.  We need to win against Geedubya and then steal one at Duquesne.  If that happened, and the Bonnies had their spot locked (which they will at either #2 or #3) come next Saturday, they may approach that last game somewhat differently than if a title or something was on the line.

Lots of things can still happen as the stretch week begins.  First things first -- I am a huge Rhodey fan come Friday against Dayton.  Let's start there.

-I think something much bigger than a conference title or conf tourney seeding  is on the line for Bonnie in every game, a dance invite, I expect them to play balls to the wall in every game as they don't have much room for a slip

HoosierPal likes this

59 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Bad news last night was Mason and VCU winning.  We don't want to be tied with them, we want ties with Richmond and the Joeys SHOULD a tie happen.

Did anyone catch the end of this one? Looks like an insane buzzer beater did them in...again. I can't stop watching that gif.

I didn't see it live, but was St. Joe's trying to foul? The GMU player ended up in the middle of a 4-man pileup with 3 St. Joe's players, ball trickles back a few feet, and bang. Game over. Should it have been a foul first, though?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Bad news last night was Mason and VCU winning.  We don't want to be tied with them, we want ties with Richmond and the Joeys SHOULD a tie happen.

I know im in the minority, but I kinda want a #5 seed.  I want wins/experience, and im confident we win the first game with a good chance in the second game.  I really think we can get to 19 wins this year.  

Im also aware a first round bye in crucial to winning the A10, I just dont think theres any real shot for us there. 

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Did anyone catch the end of this one? Looks like an insane buzzer beater did them in...again. I can't stop watching that gif.

I didn't see it live, but was St. Joe's trying to foul? The GMU player ended up in the middle of a 4-man pileup with 3 St. Joe's players, ball trickles back a few feet, and bang. Game over. Should it have been a foul first, though?

"St. Joe's Must Be Sick Of Getting Owned By Cool Buzzer-Beaters"

haha

In the first meeting between Mason and Joes, Otis Livingstone made the shot that beat them,.  It was from just before this spot on the court where the three Joeys have Otis locked in.  The game was tied, they were not going to foul.  They seemed intent  on not letting Otis beat them.  Livingstone inbounded the ball to Boyd who gave it back to him and Otis went up the court.  All three Joeys locked in on him.  Despite the scrum for the loose ball caused by the three-on-one, the ball just pooped out away from all four to the trailer Boyd who put up a prayer.  I do not believe it was designed for Boyd to take that shot given Otis' past heroics.  Boyd let the shot go at 0.2 seconds.  It was a worse shot than the one Bess had to tie Dayton for us th enight before.