Other games

brianstl

51 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Worst part is that they were following Tatum for a long time and went to a ton of his games.  Therefore, they would have seen both Lewis (on Chaminade) and Barnes (on the Eagles) multiple times.  No excuses for missing on those two guys.

I watched a lot of Chaminade games in the Tatum-Lewis-Cook era, and I'm genuinely, pleasantly surprised at how successful Lewis has been. He's always been a good shooter, but to me, he was undersized and had a limited skill set. He went to college, bulked up significantly, improved his range, and has gradually become a more complete guard. He was never a lead guard and limited as a ball handler and distributor, and he still isn't a lead guard, but he's gotten so much better within the offensive flow, not to mention defensively. He used to look kinda lost on offense while Tatum did his thing, waiting out on the perimeter for whatever came his way. I obviously would love to see a Chaminade-SLU pipeline, but I can kinda see why we passed on him. The thing I don't understand is why we passed on him and still offered some of the jamokes that wound up coming to SLU. If we're going to pass on Lewis, why are we stretching for some of those guys, you know?

I give Lewis a ton of credit. He found a place where he could contribute from the beginning and he's put in a ton of work. He's thriving and he's making Crews & Co. look bad in perpetuity.

I didn't see Barnes play much in HS, but the Tatum relationship was enough for me. To me, he was worth taking a flyer on at the time, even if we wound up with him and not JT. And now he's looking like an all-conference player and making us look foolish regardless of what Tatum did.

Having Lewis and Barnes in the backcourt right now, we'd be a different team this season.

billiken_roy and brianstl like this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I watched a lot of Chaminade games in the Tatum-Lewis-Cook era, and I'm genuinely, pleasantly surprised at how successful Lewis has been. He's always been a good shooter, but to me, he was undersized and had a limited skill set. He went to college, bulked up significantly, improved his range, and has gradually become a more complete guard. He was never a lead guard and limited as a ball handler and distributor, and he still isn't a lead guard, but he's gotten so much better within the offensive flow, not to mention defensively. He used to look kinda lost on offense while Tatum did his thing, waiting out on the perimeter for whatever came his way. I obviously would love to see a Chaminade-SLU pipeline, but I can kinda see why we passed on him. The thing I don't understand is why we passed on him and still offered some of the jamokes that wound up coming to SLU. If we're going to pass on Lewis, why are we stretching for some of those guys, you know?

I give Lewis a ton of credit. He found a place where he could contribute from the beginning and he's put in a ton of work. He's thriving and he's making Crews & Co. look bad in perpetuity.

I didn't see Barnes play much in HS, but the Tatum relationship was enough for me. To me, he was worth taking a flyer on at the time, even if we wound up with him and not JT. And now he's looking like an all-conference player and making us look foolish regardless of what Tatum did.

Having Lewis and Barnes in the backcourt right now, we'd be a different team this season.

💯

I really don't recall anybody on here advocating for Lewis. He's turned out to be a very good player. A lot of area program missed on him, including Mizzou. The bottomline is if S2 doesn't happen and we have our full complement of players, nobody is pining for the likes of Barnes and Lewis.

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Every time I watch a Butler or Xavier game and see Kelan Martin and JP Macura as some of the best players in the Big East, I remember that we had both on campus and were in both player's final 3-4 schools. It's crazy that our backup plan to guys like Martin, Macura, and Tatum were guys like Jolly, Bartley, and Moore. 

If I recall we got in on Martin a bit late. Yarbrough seemed to be our back up plan if I recall correctly. Martin is a heck of a player - but he is also the original tool!

30 minutes ago, ACE said:

I really don't recall anybody on here advocating for Lewis. He's turned out to be a very good player. A lot of area program missed on him, including Mizzou. The bottomline is if S2 doesn't happen and we have our full complement of players, nobody is pining for the likes of Barnes and Lewis.

it was my understanding though that at the time, lewis did not want to stay local, whereas barnes most definitely would have welcomed a slu destination.

Crews liked big guards and Jordan isn’t one. I’m happy for him that he ended up at a school where he is a star and I talked with him about it briefly and he holds no ill will towards SLU and is very comfortable at Indiana State.

Im also terrified of the possibly butterfly effect of Barnes coming to SLU, Tatum coming and leaving after last and Crews still being head coach.

slufan13 likes this

9 hours ago, JMM28 said:

This made me more depressed because I was thinking he was a junior. The Tatum recruitment seems that far away. 

I'm sure this team couldn't have used a 48% 3 point shooter that is averaging 17 points per game....

nope it would clutter up team huddles. Jeez lots of points in MVC from kids could of were Bills.

11 hours ago, Pistol said:

Agree on this.

Lewis looked worse playing with those big stars.  I was shocked Duquesne took him.  They did their homework though.  To me he was lead guard size that couldn't handle the ball, no outsize athleticism, but a very good shooter.  He's a helluva player now.  I can't blame Crews though cause I wouldn't have offered him.

I thought Barnes was better but he was always borderline to me.  When he went off in a couple AAU games late in the summer I think I would have pulled the trigger on an offer.  By then though Crews was on his way out. 

These are the type of guys we can't afford to miss on ever.  I think Collins is like this.  His passing is so remarkable, even though he can't shoot (we already have a pg who does that) we shouldn't pass on him. 

8 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Was looking at the Bracketology's and decided to make my own. Thoughts on the Seeds? 

IMG_1193.PNG

Way too early, but here are some thoughts:

I think Villanova and maybe Virginia will be the only actual 1 seeds come March. WVU and Purdue are good teams on a streak. I think Michigan State and Duke will normalize, get back on track, and be lock #1 seeds. 

I think Purdue, WVU, UVA, and Wichita will battle it out for the final #1 seed, with advantage to UVA.

18 hours ago, ACE said:

Here is where you all need to go with this.  Assume Barnes and Lewis in fact signed with SLU for the '16-17 season.  So who didn't we sign, as we would be over on schollies.  Graves wouldn't be here and Hines stays as a Walk On, right?  So you loose Graves, who is a total unknown - hard to compare his 11 games with BC with season and a half for these two.  All you do know is that you haven't lost a player due to the current events.

Moving forward, who sits this year?  If you have Lewis and Barnes, then you are playing them right?  So that means Goodwin, Roby and Hines have their minutes significantly lower. If/when AD and Bishop come back, they sit too?  Does that mean we have a starting backcourt is 5'11" 155 lb Barnes and 6'1" 180 lbs Lewis?  Barnes is playing 34 minutes per game and Lewis is playing 31 mpg.  If you don't play them heavy minutes, then they don't make much sense.

It's all guess work.  But saying wow, we missed out on these two, has several layers.  Fun stuff to talk about.  I like them both. 

Okay and now, who is the local 2018 or 2019 grad that we won't sign and will turn out to be a pretty solid D1 player?  Let's get these names out now so that criticism of the staff not signing them will be valid down the road.

Lewis and Barnes are sophomores. Hypothetically speaking, we could've had them come in instead of Zeke Moore (who was also HS class of 2016) and not given a scholarship to Hines. We wouldn't need any other roster adjustments in that scenario.

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is where you all need to go with this.  Assume Barnes and Lewis in fact signed with SLU for the '16-17 season.  So who didn't we sign, as we would be over on schollies.  Graves wouldn't be here and Hines stays as a Walk On, right?  So you loose Graves, who is a total unknown - hard to compare his 11 games with BC with season and a half for these two.  All you do know is that you haven't lost a player due to the current events.

Moving forward, who sits this year?  If you have Lewis and Barnes, then you are playing them right?  So that means Goodwin, Roby and Hines have their minutes significantly lower. If/when AD and Bishop come back, they sit too?  Does that mean we have a starting backcourt is 5'11" 155 lb Barnes and 6'1" 180 lbs Lewis?  Barnes is playing 34 minutes per game and Lewis is playing 31 mpg.  If you don't play them heavy minutes, then they don't make much sense.

It's all guess work.  But saying wow, we missed out on these two, has several layers.  Fun stuff to talk about.  I like them both. 

Okay and now, who is the local 2018 or 2019 grad that we won't sign and will turn out to be a pretty solid D1 player?  Let's get these names out now so that criticism of the staff not signing them will be valid down the road.

i dont think lewis was ever in the picture.   barnes being here would just mean hines would be sitting except mop up minutes with the greek.  so easy solution imo.

liddell is the 2019 guy we are going to die for.   

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think lewis was ever in the picture.   barnes being here would just mean hines would be sitting except mop up minutes with the greek.  so easy solution imo.

liddell is the 2019 guy we are going to die for.   

Roy, curious as to your thoughts on Liddell?

TheDude likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Lewis and Barnes are sophomores. Hypothetically speaking, we could've had them come in instead of Zeke Moore (who was also HS class of 2016) and not given a scholarship to Hines. We wouldn't need any other roster adjustments in that scenario.

Okay, that's a scenario that wasn't on my spreadsheet.  Playing what if, so let's give it a ride.  

But fast forward to this year, we are over again.  Either Santos or Anthony get bumped or someone gets cut. (Stipulating Hines goes back to Walk On. And also stipulating French and Goodwin were priorities over Santos and Anthony.)   It's never easy.

On 12/26/2017 at 8:18 AM, 2010andBeyond said:

Love the sweet 16 at Tennessee talk. They were in the play in game that year and lucked into a couple wins. I’ll give the guy credit for making the tournament but not like they were some slam dunk great team. 

If you are in the play-in game and make it to the Sweet 16, that counts as three straight NCAA tourney wins. And the year that both Butler and VCU both made the Final Four, I remember one or both of them were in a play-in game that year. Was that luck too?

18 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

If you are in the play-in game and make it to the Sweet 16, that counts as three straight NCAA tourney wins. And the year that both Butler and VCU both made the Final Four, I remember one or both of them were in a play-in game that year. Was that luck too?

To get in, yes