Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Coach Ford is the coach for the next several years, how many MBMs plan to cancel their tickets next year?

Been a season ticket holder 23 of the last 24 years. I will be cancelling if he’s retained. Absolutely painful thing to do.

Can’t believe I’m typing this, but for the first time in my life I am actively rooting against my beloved Billikens. Need Ford gone that bad. I felt like a traitor in the UMass game; will be repeating tonight and forward until change is made.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

The buyout amount may require this anyway, but if you get rid of May first, which may be the best option, you probably have to keep Ford for an extra year. It might take a few months to hire a new AD, which means that a current staff member will be the interim AD. You absolutely don’t want an interim AD negotiating a new basketball coach’s contract, especially an interim from SLU’s athletic department staff.

Then the new AD can hire their own coach in a year

if the powers that be identify an up and coming mid/low major Coach that they think can turn the program around, how about this:  Hire the AD of that school and then bring in the new coach.  Basically a package deal without having to wait a year before hiring a new coach.

I'm livid. While I may not be among the largest donor class, I give a decent amount. And I'm not giving a damn penny to the university unless and until May and Ford are gone. The fact that this administration felt that Ford's production warranted that kind of extension is incompetent at worst and irresponsible at best. Why donate to the athletic department if they are THIS poor at managing money?

1 hour ago, philliken said:

Been a season ticket holder 23 of the last 24 years. I will be cancelling if he’s retained. Absolutely painful thing to do.

Can’t believe I’m typing this, but for the first time in my life I am actively rooting against my beloved Billikens. Need Ford gone that bad. I felt like a traitor in the UMass game; will be repeating tonight and forward until change is made.

Traitor. 🤬

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Coach Ford is the coach for the next several years, how many MBMs plan to cancel their tickets next year?

My parents along with 2 other couples sit 4th row.  All have already called the ticket office and said they will not renew under this coaching staff.  The problem with thousands of dollars not going to SLU, I'm out of a seat. So instead, I'll just buy the absolute cheapest ST next year. 

1 hour ago, philliken said:

I know this isn't the best way to go about a change, but I cant seem to root against SLU solely on the fact it hasn't been this bad for 2+ years.  Like, if we were in hell like we were for a few years, then I'd be more inclined to root against. Probably doesn't make sense but whatever. 

I’m thinking the only way SLU escapes without losing a lot of season ticket holders and donors is to fire May, now. Give the details about Ford’s contract/buyout as the reason and then hope Ford figures it’s not worth it and takes the offer on the table at season’s end. 

JMM28 likes this

This season has been bad, and I have no reason to feel optimistic about the program in the coming years if Travis Ford is still in charge. Unless we have someone, or some people, out there to save us by paying the massive buyout after this season, how many years of bad basketball will we have to sit through? 

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This season has been bad, and I have no reason to feel optimistic about the program in the coming years if Travis Ford is still in charge. Unless we have someone, or some people, out there to save us by paying the massive buyout after this season, how many years of bad basketball will we have to sit through? 

-look at the brightside, probably less than 10  

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Regardless of the buyout, there is a need for change in leadership.  Time for Fred to retire, and to get a new AD.  

DeSmetBilliken likes this

Heard Chris May might have tried selling Dr. C too much bs after last home game, team is just now getting healthy, don’t overreact, just wait until A10 tourney, trust the process, that type of stuff….and it set Chaifetz off. Anyone else hear something similar?

IF mbb is main driver and flagship program at slu you’d think gross negligence of your main sport is grounds for removal, if not, I don’t know what it is. If that May/Chaifetz interaction is half true god help us all, it’s a bigger cluster than we think down there. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

19 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Heard Chris May might have tried selling Dr. C too much bs after last home game, team is just now getting healthy, don’t overreact, just wait until A10 tourney, trust the process, that type of stuff….and it set Chaifetz off. Anyone else hear something similar?

IF mbb is main driver and flagship program at slu you’d think gross negligence of your main sport is grounds for removal, if not, I don’t know what it is. If that May/Chaifetz interaction is half true god help us all, it’s a bigger cluster than we think down there. 

This board is the best, because everything sounds true. I am going to pop some popcorn, keep it coming!!!

28 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I remember this comment from the UMass GDT

On 1/27/2024 at 9:07 PM, ARon said:

He's been interim-head coach Travis Ford for 2 years now in my mind. But I can't see them making a mid-season change unless Chaifetz just can't stand it anymore.

FWIW immediately after the game ended May and Chaifetz were huddled in the corner of the court and it didn't appear to be a pleasant conversation.

39 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Lol if that is true, I would have reacted the same way. I'm so tired of the "Trust the process" talk from the business side of St. Louis sports. Faith can only get you so far before you need to see results.

At least when we bottomed out in 1992, we were in a top conference and had a top freshmen class.  There is no upside here unless Ford and May resign, and we refresh everything. 

4 minutes ago, davidnark said:

At least when we bottomed out in 1992, we were in a top conference and had a top freshmen class.  There is no upside here unless Ford and May resign, and we refresh everything. 

Whenever David Nark says it ^

kuiil-have-spoken.gif

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

Had a good AD too.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:50 PM, thetorch said:

Porter is leaving Oklahoma.  He hates it there.

A prominent SLU booster has reached out to Porter.  He is in the top3 for DePaul too, but still who takes the DePaul job over the SLU job.

For all the deserved derision that DePaul gets, a lot of people take the DePaul job over the SLU job.

The O’Loughlin Center is cute but a footnote compared to a Big East program located in Chicago.

If the big-checkbook guys can get him then bless them.  Because hiring him is one of the few things I can think of that would actually excite me about the future of the program.

Can anyone remind me of another time a coach with a ranked team has left to put out some smaller program’s dumpster fire?

Just now, ARon said:

For all the deserved derision that DePaul gets, a lot of people take the DePaul job over the SLU job.

The O’Loughlin Center is cute but a footnote compared to a Big East program located in Chicago.

If the big-checkbook guys can get him then bless them.  Because hiring him is one of the few things I can think of that would actually excite me about the future of the program.

Can anyone remind me of another time a coach with a ranked team has left to put out some smaller program’s dumpster fire?

Is DePaul really a Big East team?

Their highest finish was 8th in 06-07. Also the only year they were above .500 in the league.

They have been in the Big East 19 years. They have finished last 11 times, going on 12. 

I know SLU is at the bottom but DePaul has had 15 straight seasons like the one we are having. They are institutionally broken. That Head Coaching job is the last job everyone will have (unless DePaul hires you back later).

They cannot win under any circumstances.