Jump to content

GDT: vs Auburn


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we lost to no 13 in a hostile loud environment, but this team played tough and hard. There is no one that should be knocked. Except for missed FTs. That’s not on Ford. As the announcers said this felt like a 2nd Rd Tournament game. Hopefully, these guys learned something today…. FTs are important. Make them you win this thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m not hanging this one on Ford. I’m pointing out that we have routinely failed to take the next step as a program under Ford.  Hopefully we can turn this season around, if not, questions should be asked. 

I agree about taking the next step. 0 for whatever it is now against ranked teams sucks.

But I don’t think we need to turn this season around. I think most People were thinking 6-2 at this point. 

Still in good shape. The hardest game of the year is out of the way. Finish off the non con without anymore losses and we are still looking at an At Large bid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

go bills go got the exact meaning of my lone post in this thread —- that is that choking in big, meaningful games seems to be the norm for this program under current coaching.  I didn’t blame Ford for the loss, just noted we once again have achieved the norm.

As a team, we shoot 80% from the line.  We do that and we gain 8 more points alone.  We win.  Why we collectively took a hike from the FT line today is beyond me.

Did we play better defense or did Auburn suck?  If that is #13 in the nation, the nation is weak.  Only Wendell Green scored much for them.  And that was with an all-A10 defender on him, right?

Other thoughts —- Okoro is a TO waiting to happen at the foul line.  He needs the ball deeper.  Where was Perkins down the stretch?  Pickett will be a monster in the A10.  Are 6’9” guys really rim protectors?

That game was won.  Up five, shooting 2 FTs and they and the game go ‘clank.’  This appears to be the norm and that’s my final answer.

gobillsgo likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This game pi$$es me off because the better team lost today.  I have a hard time being super excited about the Providence win because we were clearly more talented than the Friars.

I get tired of players getting thrown under the bus when it is the same problem of blowing late leads in games  like this every season despite who the players are. The team can’t ever close out a game like this.  There is always an excuse blaming injuries or a situation or players not getting it done.

All that said, I don’t think Ford should be even on the hot seat.  This team is still going to have a good season and I believe make the dance.  I just need to learn to adjust my expectations and accept that the program is what it is.  I need to keep my hopes in check.

kcbill and JMM28 like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

go bills go got the exact meaning of my lone post in this thread —- that is that choking in big, meaningful games seems to be the norm for this program under current coaching.  I didn’t blame Ford for the loss, just noted we once again have achieved the norm.

As a team, we shoot 80% from the line.  We do that and we gain 8 more points alone.  We win.  Why we collectively took a hike from the FT line today is beyond me.

Did we play better defense or did Auburn suck?  If that is #13 in the nation, the nation is weak.  Only Wendell Green scored much for them.  And that was with an all-A10 defender on him, right?

Other thoughts —- Okoro is a TO waiting to happen at the foul line.  He needs the ball deeper.  Where was Perkins down the stretch?  Pickett will be a monster in the A10.  Are 6’9” guys really rim protectors?

That game was won.  Up five, shooting 2 FTs and they and the game go ‘clank.’  This appears to be the norm and that’s my final answer.

I agree. Don’t run the offense through Okoro at the high post. Too many turn over opportunities with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-on a different note, in the pregame Rammer and Earl said Pearl told them the series will not be continued

-missed opportunity that I hope we don't regret in a big way come March

-I wonder if our bigs would play better if their leash was a bit longer? tough to play where if you make a mistake you get to sit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have made it clear that I do not think highly about Ford. A coach is in charge and that makes him ultimately responsible for all that happens in the team. That makes him responsible for our pattern of coming to the end of important games ahead of the opponent and losing them. I also think that throwing players under the bus in public statements after losing a game that should have been won is not acceptable. Okoro played 29 minutes, had 5 TOs, but got 7 rebounds, 1 steal and received a thorough physical beating during this game. Forrester had 2 TOs, but got 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block in the 9 minutes he was in providing some rest to Okoro. I did not hear Ford's speech but it was said that he threw these two under the bus. However, Ford did not mention Yuri's 4 TOs. This is not something a leader should do after a tough game that was lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

would have been better had you just not responded and refrain from this worthless argument

Hard to not respond when a poster is claiming that you and others are saying something totally different than what the posts actually say. 
 

But yes, it’s definitely a worthless argument.  No one is blaming Ford for missed free throws, and no one is calling for him to be fired.  This board becomes so polarized after losses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I have made it clear that I do not think highly about Ford. A coach is in charge and that makes him ultimately responsible for all that happens in the team. That makes him responsible for our pattern of coming to the end of important games ahead of the opponent and losing them. I also think that throwing players under the bus in public statements after losing a game that should have been won is not acceptable. Okoro played 29 minutes, had 5 TOs, but got 7 rebounds, 1 steal and received a thorough physical beating during this game. Forrester had 2 TOs, but got 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block in the 9 minutes he was in providing some rest to Okoro. I did not hear Ford's speech but it was said that he threw these two under the bus. However, Ford did not mention Yuri's 4 TOs. This is not something a leader should do after a tough game that was lost.

I disagree. We missed free throws and Okoro played poorly. Those were the things that lost the game. Okoro missed at least 3 simple buckets. Maybe he was being fouled low and hard and had to adjust, but it looked like he was just rushing himself. He needs to play better.

Also, is Ford our winningest coach yet? When will he get that, this year? I am amazed at what people expect. You would think that there would be more appreciation for year-in, year-out winning. No horrible rebuilding year. Local recruits also, which is a fun plus. It is too bad that some people cannot mentally process that a dance ticket is literally 1-4 spots away from where Ford has placed this team since 2017. No other Billiken coach has even come close to this consistency. Majerus could have, but he didn’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

This game pi$$es me off because the better team lost today.  I have a hard time being super excited about the Providence win because we were clearly more talented than the Friars.

I get tired of players getting thrown under the bus when it is the same problem of blowing late leads in games  like this every season despite who the players are. The team can’t ever close out a game like this.  There is always an excuse blaming injuries or a situation or players not getting it done.

All that said, I don’t think Ford should be even on the hot seat.  This team is still going to have a good season and I believe make the dance.  I just need to learn to adjust my expectations and accept that the program is what it is.  I need to keep my hopes in check.

I think this is the main point some of us “Ford Haters” (not my words) are making.  Players change, Ford has been the constant, and we either cannot hold leads in big games/ or just come out totally unprepared to play. It’s a reasonable thing to point out.  No one is saying Ford was the reason we lost the game tonight, that would be ridiculous. But it’s his program and at some point the captain takes some blame if the ship isn’t on the course it should be. 
 

You can appreciate the raised talent level and return to (somewhat) relevance that has occurred under Ford, while still expecting to eventually win some big games to get us to the next level.  It shouldn’t be one or the other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

I think this is the main point some of us “Ford Haters” (not my words) are making.  Players change, Ford has been the constant, and we either cannot hold leads in big games/ or just come out totally unprepared to play. It’s a reasonable thing to point out.  No one is saying Ford was the reason we lost the game tonight, that would be ridiculous. But it’s his program and at some point the captain takes some blame if the ship isn’t on the course it should be. 
 

You can appreciate the raised talent level and return to (somewhat) relevance that has occurred under Ford, while still expecting to eventually win some big games to get us to the next level.  It shouldn’t be one or the other. 

Now that Coach Ford has raised the talent level, the next step is to recruit players who have the same killer instinct that he had.  That is not the natural inclination of our guys.  When it's time to administer the finishing blow, we always hesitate.  We're still good enough to win most of the time, but that's not going to get it done in a hostile road game.

joe_davola likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Why an 81% FT Team suddenly goes blind is mystifying not to mention frustrating. But when up by 5 w/ 4 minutes left and suddenly take the air out of the ball is really maddening. 

They didn’t take the air out of the ball. I can’t think of one possession late where the shot clock went under 5 seconds. Auburn was extremely aggressive and fouled them and we missed the ft’s, it’s that simple. It wasn’t leadership, it’s just something that sometimes happens in a basketball game. This wasn’t Hassan French or Jordan Goodwin at the line. It was Collins, Perkins, Thatch, Pickett and Forester who missed the shots. I don’t think any, as some have implied are “chokers”. Yes it was extremely frustrating but hardly the end of our season. If the team stays healthy and continues to improve, they will be a real threat. We need Perkins at his best to be an elite team and I think he will get there with more games. We out rebounded the most  physical team on our schedule. There is a lot to be encouraged by if you look at the big  picture. I don’t think any A10 team is looking forward to playing us.

Matty Light and slufanskip like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

They didn’t take the air out of the ball. I can’t think of one possession late where the shot clock went under 5 seconds. Auburn was extremely aggressive and fouled them and we missed the ft’s, it’s that simple. It wasn’t leadership, it’s just something that sometimes happens in a basketball game. This wasn’t Hassan French or Jordan Goodwin at the line. It was Collins, Perkins, Thatch, Pickett and Forester who missed the shots. I don’t think any, as some have implied are “chokers”. Yes it was extremely frustrating but hardly the end of our season. If the team stays healthy and continues to improve, they will be a real threat. We need Perkins at his best to be an elite team and I think he will get there with more games. We out rebounded the most  physical team on our schedule. There is a lot to be encouraged by if you look at the big  picture. I don’t think any A10 team is looking forward to playing us.

those missed free throws amounted to five straight turnovers, cant win with that heckuva games, who genuinely believed we would be 4-0 in these games, we hoped, but deep down we know it was unlikely. go bills, lot of season left

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

They didn’t take the air out of the ball. I can’t think of one possession late where the shot clock went under 5 seconds. Auburn was extremely aggressive and fouled them and we missed the ft’s, it’s that simple. It wasn’t leadership, it’s just something that sometimes happens in a basketball game. This wasn’t Hassan French or Jordan Goodwin at the line. It was Collins, Perkins, Thatch, Pickett and Forester who missed the shots. I don’t think any, as some have implied are “chokers”. Yes it was extremely frustrating but hardly the end of our season. If the team stays healthy and continues to improve, they will be a real threat. We need Perkins at his best to be an elite team and I think he will get there with more games. We out rebounded the most  physical team on our schedule. There is a lot to be encouraged by if you look at the big  picture. I don’t think any A10 team is looking forward to playing us.

but they didnt look to get out and run either.   i.e. get a rebound and go.   instead they would get the defensive rebound and instead of getting it across the half line and seeing if there was a quick opportunity, they let everyone clear out and then casually brought it down.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I don't understand how anyone can sit here today and say they trust this team to bounce back from this.

if it was a loss to Paul Quinn college then that might be crippling mentally.   but a last 2 minute loss to the #13 team in the country while it stings  to know they missed a hell of an opportunity to not only get some national mention and notice as well as earning post season points, it still is a "good" loss (if there is such a thing and hopefully Ford can use it to demonstrate how close they are and use it as motivation to build on.  

besides recruiting, imo Ford is an excellent motivator.   so he now has a good tool to use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but they didnt look to get out and run either.   i.e. get a rebound and go.   instead they would get the defensive rebound and instead of getting it across the half line and seeing if there was a quick opportunity, they let everyone clear out and then casually brought it down.  

From the 9 minute mark to around 1:40 left in the game we had zero 3 point attempts.  This is the teams strength on offense and we decided to abandon it which I dont get.  Auburn was fouling which had something to do with it but this is a trend for the past 2 years.    

billiken_roy and Tonka like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...