GDT: vs Auburn

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

Because it wasn't slowed down. We ran the court. Auburn was using size and defense to slow the game down. You were probably watching the wrong game if you saw blue shirts slowing the game down.

BS Yuri walked the ball up including the last seconds that was my problem.  They lost the game on the line I get it.

Just now, Matty Light said:

The FT failure is glaring but we would have been fine if we just hit 3 of the 20 shots inside 5 feet we missed. The offense was overall bad today, other than knocking down open 3s within our offense, not the stuff Yuri jacked up or Gibbys contested 3s at the end.

Honestly if this is our result against a top 15 team on an off offensive day, then we can beat anyone if we don't get in our own way like today.

cgeldmacher likes this

7 minutes ago, Soderball said:

That's the nature of the A10. We live and die by the conference championship/tourney ever since we joined the A10. You wanna change that? Join the beast.

That’s why I said we don’t have the luxury of losing games like this because the conference is weak. Yet you said I was clowning. Now you agree? You seem bipolar

Just now, CBFan said:

BS Yuri walked the ball up including the last seconds that was my problem.  They lost the game on the line I get it.

The game was done by then. You kidding me? My earlier comment just says it all.

22 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Complete mental breakdown from the free-throw line.  It's almost like our guys shy away from being great.  We know they're better than Auburn but do they believe it?

I wondered something similar. Many champion athletes talk about their mindset -- they KNOW they are good enough to win. Hard thing to measure of course ... but surely there is a mental component to this.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Do feel good about that comment?  Ford slowed them down.  The free throw misses sucked but he slowed down again in the last minutes of the game

I don’t feel anything about that post.

It just how I feel. 
I actually kind of agree with you that they slowed down. I just don’t think that’s what cost them.

They were up 5 and began to slow down a bit. They were getting to the line. Kind of what you want when you are a good free throw shooting team. Before this game the Bills have been a good free throw shooting team.

If they make the free throws up 5 the game is most likely over. Missing is contagious and that’s what happened.

If they make the first couple free throw while they were up I think they close it out no problem. 

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Agree to disagree

I guess. I see a big difference in stating “We lost today because of Travis” and “Another choke job from a Travis Ford-led team”. 

I don’t agree with the first statement, I do agree with the second.  In any sport in the world, a coach can recruit well and implement a good system, but their success as a coach is ultimately judged by wins and losses. And from what we’ve seen, Travis’s teams don’t win the big games.  I can’t say why exactly that is the case, but it is obviously the case.  And if a coach is unable to improve their record after a certain period of time, big questions need to be asked. 

If you can’t eventually get over the hump, you have to pull the plug.  I’m not saying that’s where I’m at, but it’s fair to be frustrated with a lack of improvement in results in big games.

GoSluBills and slufan13 like this

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Honestly I didn't see us try to run clock to preserve our minuscule lead at all......

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Nobody did. Cause it didn't happen.

I thought they slowed down a bit but they were still getting good shots and getting to the line.

cgeldmacher likes this

5 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

That’s why I said we don’t have the luxury of losing games like this because the conference is weak. Yet you said I was clowning. Now you agree? You seem bipolar

I thought you were overreacting to a close loss to a top 15 team on the road. If we finish top 3 in conference we will go to the tourney, I think that's very realistic.(barring embarrassing defeats to SIU or similar.)

17 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Murray St and Southern Illinois will be top 100 teams (1-0 one left)

Providence, Iona, Drake, and Boise St will be top 75 teams (1-0 three left)

Memphis, Maryland, and Auburn will be top 30 games (1-2)

Thats just noncon. Win at least 3 of the remaining top 100 NC games and we are on the right side of the bubble. 

No. We aren’t. 

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I thought you were overreacting to a close loss to a top 15 team on the road. If we finish top 3 in conference we will go to the tourney, I think that's very realistic.(barring embarrassing defeats to SIU or similar.)

I’ve seen this story play out for too many years to count. Always on the wrong side of the bubble looking in. Let’s be realistic, this team will not run the table in conference play. If they finish second or third in the conference then they will be OUT, again.

Just now, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This was the game that I had been waiting for since Travis took over. The team with everything coming together and everyone is back. Win this and they are back on the national stage and in the top 25. And they shot themselves in the foot in the last 2 minutes. Pain. 

It's like we're allergic to big success sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I’ve seen this story play out for too many years to count. Always on the wrong side of the bubble looking in. Let’s be realistic, this team will not run the table in conference play. If they finish second or third in the conference then they will be OUT, again.

I think second or third is good enough to make it, particularly if these are our only two non con losses. If we have more I'll be ringing the fire alarm and calling for the lifeboats with you.