GDT: GDubya

Bills By 40

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

The same 4-5 people start it every time. Put them on ignore (except to hit options - show this post and give them a troll rating from time to time).

As for Williams, I don't get the anxiety over him. He's a volume shooter, period. He needs minutes to show his value. He's starting to get more and I don't mind him going 0-3 or 1-4 until he starts clicking. If he figures it out, he could be a valuable piece down the stretch. If not, we were never really depending on him for major production (admittedly, Perkins going down changed the math a bit, but still).

We need some combination of Hargrove to get back on track, Williams finding his shot, Nesbitt taking a step, Collins finding some of the 3-pointer he flashed for a while this season, or Jones to start shooting more. We're going to run into good defenses again soon and they're going to try to take away the 3-point line from Jimerson. He's still going to score, as he's demonstrated, but we need other guys to be legit threats from the perimeter or teams can just pack it in against us like they did when the offense ran through Goodwin and French.

You’re such a fraud Pete, you troll virtually every post I present... I post a mundane comment from another site, about their thoughts on our team, and it sets someone off... you of course defend them, and troll me... And then you lecture others about decorum... so childish... 

HenryB likes this

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, willie said:

So what's the point of playing him. He is a grad transfer so he's gone. Do we need another short guard who doesn't defend all that well. Baring injury or foul trouble who's minutes do you want him to take? 

exactly. none of our starters appear to be not wanting to been the court 35+ minutes. Thatch & Traore, Linssen, gobble all of the rest easy.

11 hours ago, billikenblue said:

Not correct ..his stats 

2018-2019 40.8 

2019-2020 32.3

2020-2021 33.9

2021-2022 24.2

4 years since he shot 40 % 

This is also a step up in competition as Roy points out . No one is Yikes just making some valid points that perhaps he is not what we thought we were getting. 

I was defending TJ when Roy was speaking about Williams. Not trying to defend Williams. Just took Roy’s post the wrong way My b

17 hours ago, SShoe said:

My issue with Williams is why play him in that type of game instead of Strickland who still has 3+ years of eligibility?  Unless Strickland just isn't very good.  

When Strickland plays, it appears to me that he is not playing with much effort or enthusiasm.  I cannot think of a better way to  put yourself on the end of Travis Ford's bench.

billiken_roy likes this

15 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You’re such a fraud Pete, you troll virtually every post I present... I post a mundane comment from another site, about their thoughts on our team, and it sets someone off... you of course defend them, and troll me... And then you lecture others about decorum... so childish... 

If, and it’s a big if, Pistol Pete is childish, then the best description of you is infantile. Now, back to basketball, please.

Pistol and AGB91 like this

It's been well documented on here and audio/video that Peter and I have not seen eye to eye on current events. He and I, however, have clearly become good podcasting partners and even better friends. 

Unless we have a cancellation or player exclusion due to current events. I don't see why any discussion or mention of that event is necessary. But that's just one MBM's humble opinion.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:47 AM, Cowboy II said:

-it would be nice for TJ and Williams to hit some shots as at some point, perhaps Saturday, there will be an even greater focus on stopping GibJim, who is going to score when that happens? I think it will need to be a total team effort

-I wonder if Traore was kept on the bench as long as he was because the dance and technical? kid shows a knack

-Travis, settle down a bit and be careful with The Hook, tough for kids to play if they are scared

Agree about The Hook.  It's what caused Grawer to lose the team and then his job..  I can see using it if a player does some stupid things that are inconsistent with the coaching instructions , but NOT for making a mistake or missing a shot or causing a turnover.

32 minutes ago, bauman said:

Agree about The Hook.  It's what caused Grawer to lose the team and then his job..  I can see using it if a player does some stupid things that are inconsistent with the coaching instructions , but NOT for making a mistake or missing a shot or causing a turnover.

Bench players all over America complain about short hooks.  Starters, not so much.  Coach Ford didn't invent this double standard.  Most coaches follow it.

slufanskip likes this

40 minutes ago, bauman said:

I mostly agree but if the mistake is being made repeatedly…yank them.

If they keep taking and missing stupid shots….yank them.

If the turnovers are from lazy play and happening repeatedly….yank them.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bench players all over America complain about short hooks.  Starters, not so much.  Coach Ford didn't invent this double standard.  Most coaches follow it.

When Sparky Anderson was coach of Cincinnati’s big red machine he was asked why Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, and Johnny Bench did not have the same rules as the other guys on the team.
His response was “Because they are Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, and Johnny Bench.” 

billiken_roy likes this

21 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

They have their own Metz! 

image.png.4c4f1d3741127ac61c11af46e908a45e.png

Not that some GW MBM needs to be corrected on here, but I was curious so I looked it up.

Ford has indeed coached 20 season at the D1 level in which an NCAA tournament has taken place (not counting the current year or 2019-20).  His teams have made the NCAA tournament in 7 of the 20 seasons (and NIT in 4 others).  Of the 9 seasons he didn't make a postseason, 4 were his 1st 4 years at Eastern Kentucky, 1 his 1st year at UMass, and 2 his first 2 at SLU.  That leaves just 2 seasons in which Ford had a mid-major or better team with a roster mostly full of his own players where his teams missed NCAA or NIT.  Those were both at OK State in year 4 & his 8th / final year.  Each of those teams wasn't terrible in the grand scheme 97th & 98th in KenPom respectively out of 350+ D1 schools.  They had awful records though in the loaded Big 12.

Travis Ford's teams seem to always be pretty good, but never great and extremely rarely bad.  Not counting his time at  EKU & including this season to date, his teams have finished with a final KenPom rating between 21 and 106 in 16 of 18 seasons.  The lone exception is his first 2 years at SLU.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's been well documented on here and audio/video that Peter and I have not seen eye to eye on current events. He and I, however, have clearly become good podcasting partners and even better friends. 

Unless we have a cancellation or player exclusion due to current events. I don't see why any discussion or mention of that event is necessary. But that's just one MBM's humble opinion.

I also do not agree with @Pistol on current events however he is the best poster IMO on this site.  I have great respect for him and he was a big reason I became an active poster.

The good thing about the pod cast is that I could put a face to his name.

Both of you do a great job and never let current advents divide us from what we all have in common and that is Billiken athletics.

Happy Friday 

4 hours ago, billikenbill said:

If, and it’s a big if, Pistol Pete is childish, then the best description of you is infantile. Now, back to basketball, please.

for the record, I posted a basketball topic about an assessment of our team....I know many worship him on this board, but he has a habit of treating everyone else like they're beneath him...i would much rather have private conversations with him, but he won't allow them....he trolls me with his unlimited reactions and encourages others to do the same...a real classy guy...but i will join the bandwagon and compliment him, without him I would never know the hundreds of players who chose not to sign with SLU...

I called out a troll for being a troll, encouraged people to ignore him (seriously, the ignore feature works great), and we're still dealing with it 3 pages later? Good grief. This is what trolls do. They don't leave you alone.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I called out a troll for being a troll, encouraged people to ignore him (seriously, the ignore feature works great), and we're still dealing with it 3 pages later? Good grief. This is what trolls do. They don't leave you alone.

I am calling you out as a troll. You are still pushing it. You are the most thin skinned guy in the Room. Grow up.

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

apparently you wont leave i alone either, just ignore bbf and he will likely go away. you advise people to ignore but do not ignore them yourself. just move on from it pistol

49 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

for the record, I posted a basketball topic about an assessment of our team....I know many worship him on this board, but he has a habit of treating everyone else like they're beneath him...i would much rather have private conversations with him, but he won't allow them....he trolls me with his unlimited reactions and encourages others to do the same...a real classy guy...but i will join the bandwagon and compliment him, without him I would never know the hundreds of players who chose not to sign with SLU...

Whoa. @Pistol has unlimited reactions??? That's the real scandal here.

RUBillsFan likes this