GDT: GDubya

Bills By 40

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

to me, its where do you draw the line.  I agree it'll take some time before he finds the shot. But for how long can SLU afford to let him go shoot a bunch under 25% + bad defense.  We're entering a part of the season I wish we sorta had this figured out. 

One probably has to be physically present to notIce - a large percentage Williams 3 point misses are just different from everyone else’s.  They hit the inner rim with tremendous torque, rotate halfway down into the net area, and subsequently carom out with serious pace. Leads one to believe he’ll shred some nets should he come to find his form….

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

to me, its where do you draw the line.  I agree it'll take some time before he finds the shot. But for how long can SLU afford to let him go shoot a bunch under 25% + bad defense.  We're entering a part of the season I wish we sorta had this figured out. 

There's still time.  But once the calendar reaches February 11, we face a wave of upper half conference teams and tough road games.

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So my question was going to be "then who should be getting those minutes?"

3 minutes ago, SShoe said:

My issue with Williams is why play him in that type of game instead of Strickland who still has 3+ years of eligibility?  Unless Strickland just isn't very good.  

^And here's one response.

Should it be more Hargrove/Thatch/Jones? Someone else? He's a fourth-year player who has a skill that we need right now. He's just trying to rediscover it. I think that's worth pursuing.

3 minutes ago, SShoe said:

My issue with Williams is why play him in that type of game instead of Strickland who still has 3+ years of eligibility?  Unless Strickland just isn't very good.  

-come March 2022 who do think has a better chance, remote as it might be, to look like Isabell from 2019, Williams or Strickland? not saying either will

My hope with Williams was that he'd be a higher efficiency scorer on the Billikens than he was at his previous spots.  I assumed he was a good shooter who was tasked with taking a bunch of threes because he was the best scoring option for his team, so his 3 pt% was relatively low.  If he took fewer shots with SLU, but they were better looks his % would go up.

So far, that has clearly not been the case.  I don't see that he has much value on this SLU team with so many better scoring options & guys who are much better defenders than him at the same position.  He is a decent depth piece in case of foul trouble or injury, but I don't think he should get regular playing time.

18 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Williams is a proven scorer in college, Strickland isn't. Me may need Williams like a Dion Wiley down the stretch.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Rashad's highest scoring games (36, 32) were against Michigan St. and Oklahoma State.  He's already proven what he can do.  I can imagine the panic that's setting in as he clanks shot after shot against the dregs of the A-10.  It's all in his head at this point.  

So what's the point of playing him. He is a grad transfer so he's gone. Do we need another short guard who doesn't defend all that well. Baring injury or foul trouble who's minutes do you want him to take? 

billiken_roy likes this

21 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-come March 2022 who do think has a better chance, remote as it might be, to look like Isabell from 2019, Williams or Strickland? not saying either will

That's fair, but I don't think Williams has once looked the part and every time he's in the game he chucks it up like's Gibson Jimerson or something. 

Strickland at least could potentially have a future here and I'm much more interested in what he can do with some minutes than Williams. 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Would you have said the same about wiley in 19? He hit a massive 3 in that final.

Yep.  Wiley at least had some very good moments earlier on in 2019. Williams has done nothing.

At this point, I may be ready to have a Mark Schmidt-esque rotation in games against top teams

Collins/Jimerson - 36-40 minutes each

Nesbit - 32 minutes

Thatch - 28 minutes

Hargrove - 20 minutes

Okoro/Linssen - Some combination of 40 minutes

Jones/Williams - Jones maybe spells Collins when he's out and Williams comes in if Jimerson needs a breather

Also I should say we haven't been too far off of this as it is

Littlebill likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe his previous stops were a step behind our level of play?    its no secret we had a tough non conference schedule.  i.e. good teams.   and the A10 is definitely a better conference than those he was at before.    

i see him on the floor and honestly he doesnt even run the floor like a player at our level let alone his make percentage.   yep, i've given up on him.   love for him to prove me wrong and become a true gibson sidekick but i aint holding out hope.

Last season he went for 33 against MSU and 30+ against another P5 I can’t recall. I wouldn’t call that a level below us. I was a supporter, but I’ve lately gone meh. Maybe 05’s right he’s a volume guy but we can’t have him shooting 20 a night to make 2 or 3. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

So what's the point of playing him. He is a grad transfer so he's gone. Do we need another short guard who doesn't defend all that well. Baring injury or foul trouble who's minutes do you want him to take? 

You're evaluating Williams based on seeing the worst of him.  Well, we've got a couple weeks against mostly weak competition to see if the best of him can emerge.  An extra shooter who can create his own shot would come in handy when we face the better defensive teams in the conference.  

And any player who isn't getting minutes can choose to be "gone".  There's always going to be four players who don't get minutes who have a decision to make.  If you think guys are dissatisfied with their minutes now, just wait until Perkins comes back.

53 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Yep.  Wiley at least had some very good moments earlier on in 2019. Williams has done nothing.

Dion was getting 15 min per game. Rashad is getting 9(mostly garbage time after sitting all game). Rashad has been at his best in his career with big minutes as a go to shooter with a high # of shots. Dion was taking less attempts in more minutes. Perhaps Rashad is not in a role that best fits his overall game.

The Williams thing is a bit of a mystery. Tate really talked him up prior to the start of the season, so I was expecting more. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Clearly Ford had a different take with his lack of playing time from the start of the season. I wonder if there was a bit of an injury early and now Ford is trying to get him to shake off some rust and hopefully start contributing something. I like the idea of at least giving him a few minutes in the first half of games - IF he ever gets hot, then you can ride it a bit. The problem is he has never gotten hot yet. Based on some of his explosive performances against decent teams in the past, there has to be some ability there. He certainly looked good in those highlights. I have no problem with the way Ford is using him now. Let him chuck up a few and see if it starts to click.

majerus mojo and slufan13 like this

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

The Williams thing is a bit of a mystery. Tate really talked him up prior to the start of the season, so I was expecting more. Maybe it was wishful thinking. Clearly Ford had a different take with his lack of playing time from the start of the season. I wonder if there was a bit of an injury early and now Ford is trying to get him to shake off some rust and hopefully start contributing something. I like the idea of at least giving him a few minutes in the first half of games - IF he ever gets hot, then you can ride it a bit. The problem is he has never gotten hot yet. Based on some of his explosive performances against decent teams in the past, there has to be some ability there. He certainly looked good in those highlights. I have no problem with the way Ford is using him now. Let him chuck up a few and see if it starts to click.

Exactly. There has been very very little risk to using him the way Ford has the past couple of games. 

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think you give him the longer leash over these next couple, and if he doesn't show anything, he has to sit. 

i think you all see i am not on the williams fan train.   but that said, he hit 8 in a row in pre-game yesterday from the right corner.   so i guess if nothing else he has a future in the south american horse and around the world league.

dlarry likes this

4 hours ago, billikenblue said:

Not correct ..his stats 

2018-2019 40.8 

2019-2020 32.3

2020-2021 33.9

2021-2022 24.2

4 years since he shot 40 % 

This is also a step up in competition as Roy points out . No one is Yikes just making some valid points that perhaps he is not what we thought we were getting. 

People keep saying he has a skill, he’s a good shooter who needs to find his shot. 

I understand he had a couple of good games against good competition but if those numbers above are correct, he isn’t a good shooter. He had 1 good year, but he’s been mediocre to bad since. And that’s made worse because he doesn’t seem to do anything else well. 

Hes shot under 33% for his last 500 attempts.

4 hours ago, billikenblue said:

Not correct ..his stats 

2018-2019 40.8 

2019-2020 32.3

2020-2021 33.9

2021-2022 24.2

4 years since he shot 40 % 

This is also a step up in competition as Roy points out . No one is Yikes just making some valid points that perhaps he is not what we thought we were getting. 

So what happened between 2018-19 and 2019-20?

The NCAA moved the 3 pt line back...Williams was never able to  make the change.