2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Maybe if Brian Conklin was the senior season Brian Conklin as a freshman and SLU was a winning team all of those years, I just don't think he had enough time as that type of player to build up the hate. Some kids kind of embrace being the bad guy, not sure SLU has had many guys like that. Conklin did certainly embrace being essentially our enforcer and didn't back down from anyone, but otherwise is a fairly likeable kid (heck, he is from Oregon). Kevin Lisch is a great kid, but he kind of fit some of the traits of guys that have been hated by opposing fans (white kid with deceptive athleticism, tough, a lot of talent, always playing hard, and doesn't back down). So really, Conklin and Lisch in the right circumstances could have been our Duke type hated kids.

All of this is true, but to really be over the top in terms of opposing fans' hatred, you need an extra little something. For Brannen, it was the haircut and barbed wire tattoo (this was the mid-90s, just a few years before everyone had tattoos). For Ellis, it was the blue hair. For Marshall Henderson, it was a combo of his size (and oversized jersey making him look tiny), tats, flamboyance, taunting, and shameless chucking; he had a lot going on. For Hansbrough, it was how emotional he was.

Lisch and Conklin didn't have those factors. If they wore a headband or something like that, I'm sure Xavier fans would still bring them up to me the way they do Ellis ("I hated that guy"). As it stands, they bring them up as players they really liked when SLU and Xavier were both in the A10.

If fans have an extra little thing to latch on to, then it's really on.

Getting further off topic, with the number of just absolute beasts on our team who play with a ton of fire, could we grab some bandwagon fans nationally? This team is going to be fun to watch and has kind of a unique identity for a non Power 6 team. This is going to be fun.

Billiken Rich likes this

I never said Brannen was a thug or not ..... I only tried to equate how some guy's perceived worth in one place is diametrically opposed to at another.  So you knew Bobby Brannen eh?  And hung out with Lenny Dykstra.  Enough to be able to unequivocally pronounce them as you did.  Place a "troll" on this post you little prick.  No wonder you have no friends. 

By the way, approximately 70 words in this post.  About 40 past your gnat-sized attention span.

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I never said Brannen was a thug or not ..... I only tried to equate how some guy's perceived worth in one place is diametrically opposed to at another.  So you knew Bobby Brannen eh?  And hung out with Lenny Dykstra.  Enough to be able to unequivocally pronounce them as you did.  Place a "troll" on this post you little prick.  No wonder you have no friends. 

By the way, approximately 70 words in this post.  About 40 past your gnat-sized attention span.

@SluSignGuy, if you needed any further evidence that post-reactions experiment should end, I think this post should do it.

I always hated Aaron Craft of Ohio State, but the media sure loved him.  I think if there were any SLU players that other teams recognized and hated, it probably was Cody Ellis.  He had a lot going for him--blue hair, a lot of flopping that were often credited as charges, and very demonstrative.  I sure loved his passion, though.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Quality is Job 1 is this really an experiment of some sort? Pray tell.

Not in a nefarious kind of way, Old Guy.  Just that Sign Guy said last year that we would try the feature out but he wasn't necessarily "married" to it.

It's an optional feature that we could use but don't have to.  In my opinion, it doesn't really help.

28 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

LOL.

majerus mojo likes this

39 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Not in a nefarious kind of way, Old Guy.  Just that Sign Guy said last year that we would try the feature out but he wasn't necessarily "married" to it.

It's an optional feature that we could use but don't have to.  In my opinion, it doesn't really help.

I'm a fan

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

If there were a Hall of Fame for the worst people off the field, Dykstra would be on the first ballot. I would advise against ever comparing a Billiken to him.

Littlebill likes this

11 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

A few outliers on how a reaction was handled shouldn't dictate things for the whole board. Though, this does seem to be where society is heading... ;)

I think the reactions are great and declutter the board.

Much better than +1ing every post

NextYearBill and HenryB like this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Image result for that escalated quickly gif

The olds are staring to be fed up with the youths. We knew this day would come. Someone get this guy back on his meds 😳

For what its worth, the comparison was preposterous. Athletic white who tries hard = athletic white who tries hard, apparently

billikenfan05 likes this

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

@SluSignGuy, if you needed any further evidence that post-reactions experiment should end, I think this post should do it.

The problem is people seem to want to label every post they think is bad as a troll, which actually reduces the importance of a troll post. Labeling Taj, 05, Glory, etc … as trolls is silly. If you don't like a post it's a bad post. A Troll is a troll not a regular poster who you happen to disagree with

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

The problem is people seem to want to label every post they think is bad as a troll, which actually reduces the importance of a troll post. Labeling Taj, 05, Glory, etc … as trolls is silly. If you don't like a post it's a bad post. A Troll is a troll not a regular poster who you happen to disagree with

I agree with this point, but there are other issues with the feature that, in my opinion, show some flaws that are detrimental to the board.

If a "bad post" reaction and a "troll" reaction have the same net result on the poster's reputation, then the troll reaction doesn't have any real importance.

The consequence of a low rating is restriction on the number of daily points permitted.  HoosierPal is certainly not a troll, yet one particular poster (Banks) has piled up troll reactions on his account.  I don't know if HP is on a post limit, but eventually he will be if Banks has his way.  That's totally unfair.

Maybe with some tweaking, the feature can be fair and just, but right now I don't like it in it's current format.  However, I'm not trying elevate my opinion above anyone else's.

(Lastly, I don't desire to be "exempt" from receiving reaction points just because I'm a moderator.)

10 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I agree with this point, but there are other issues with the feature that, in my opinion, show some flaws that are detrimental to the board.

If a "bad post" reaction and a "troll" reaction have the same net result on the poster's reputation, then the troll reaction doesn't have any real importance.

The consequence of a low rating is restriction on the number of daily points permitted.  HoosierPal is certainly not a troll, yet one particular poster (Banks) has piled up troll reactions on his account.  I don't know if HP is on a post limit, but eventually he will be if Banks has his way.  That's totally unfair.

Maybe with some tweaking, the feature can be fair and just, but right now I don't like it in it's current format.  However, I'm not trying elevate my opinion above anyone else's.

(Lastly, I don't desire to be "exempt" from receiving reaction points just because I'm a moderator.)

+1

5 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Banks is trollkowsky. Don't play his game by calling him banks. Just muzzle him and move on.

(Caution:  123 words for those counting ... which is six sets of hands and toes and then some ......)

First, Brannen was a thug.  Now Dykstra is in some "off the field Hall of Fame for worst people."  All I'm talking about is an example of how one team's fan favorite is hated elsewhere.  I will admit to hating Dykstra when he played for the Mets.  I absolutely loved him in 1993 with my Phillies.  I have no real knowledge of his off-field issues although I will admit to hearing something here or there.  Some others I "hated' on other teams --------- Bill Walton, Larry Bird, Wendell Bennett, Kurt Rambis, Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer, Cam Newton, I could go on. 

The point being the point.  Oh look a forest.  Naw, that's just a bunch of trees and, oh, you're a fawna racist..

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

(Caution:  123 words for those counting ... which is six sets of hands and toes and then some ......)

First, Brannen was a thug.  Now Dykstra is in some "off the field Hall of Fame for worst people."  All I'm talking about is an example of how one team's fan favorite is hated elsewhere.  I will admit to hating Dykstra when he played for the Mets.  I absolutely loved him in 1993 with my Phillies.  I have no real knowledge of his off-field issues although I will admit to hearing something here or there.  Some others I "hated' on other teams --------- Bill Walton, Larry Bird, Wendell Bennett, Kurt Rambis, Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer, Cam Newton, I could go on. 

The point being the point.  Oh look a forest.  Naw, that's just a bunch of trees and, oh, you're a fawna racist..

How can one hate the great Larry Bird???

dlarry likes this