2018-19 season

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The rapper Nas was the rapper J Coles idol.  Tramaine is stating that Isaiah Thomas is his idol.  Isaiah Thomas is saying that both he and Tramaine are killers on the court.

This read like a definition on urban dictionary.

brianstl likes this

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the pre season practice rules are and hoping someone can clarify. I know official practice sessions start a short time before mid October, but until then is the schedule something like 8 hours every week are allowed w/ some of those hours mandated to conditioning and the balance of the time allocated to actually practicing hoops?

Also, it was reported Wiley had an injury a couple of weeks ago. Has he recovered? We heard Wellmer would be cleared for practice in September, I'll believe it when I see it, is that still a go? And what's Foreman's status. Recall he passed out a month or so ago, what's known about his medical condition? Thanks for any information.

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't know what the pre season practice rules are and hoping someone can clarify. I know official practice sessions start a short time before mid October, but until then is the schedule something like 8 hours every week are allowed w/ some of those hours mandated to conditioning and the balance of the time allocated to actually practicing hoops?

Also, it was reported Wiley had an injury a couple of weeks ago. Has he recovered? We heard Wellmer would be cleared for practice in September, I'll believe it when I see it, is that still a go? And what's Foreman's status. Recall he passed out a month or so ago, what's known about his medical condition? Thanks for any information.

I think you can start practice 42 days before the start of the season, so that would be September 25th.

17.3.2 Preseason Practice -- On-Court Practice. An institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions before the date that is 42 days before the date of the institution's first regular-season contest. An institution shall not engage in more than 30 days of countable athletically related activities before its first regular-season contest. Any countable athletically related activities (e.g., conditioning, skill-related instruction) that occur within the 42-day period shall count against the 30 days of countable athletically related activities.

And regarding conditioning:

17.3.2.1 Permissible Conditioning Activities. Team conditioning or physical-fitness activities supervised by coaching staff members may be conducted on or off court but shall not begin prior to the beginning of the institution's academic year in accordance with Bylaw 17.1.7.2. Such activities shall be limited to eight hours per week.

I don't know what the latest on Wiley, Welmer, or Foreman is. I don't think the issues with Wiley or Foreman were serious, so I don't expect them to be limited when practice starts.

Wiley and Isabell still appear to be at home per recent Instagram stories, but move-in week starts Thursday, so I'm sure they're going to be back any day now. Classes start Monday.

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I think you can start practice 42 days before the start of the season, so that would be September 25th.

17.3.2 Preseason Practice -- On-Court Practice. An institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions before the date that is 42 days before the date of the institution's first regular-season contest. An institution shall not engage in more than 30 days of countable athletically related activities before its first regular-season contest. Any countable athletically related activities (e.g., conditioning, skill-related instruction) that occur within the 42-day period shall count against the 30 days of countable athletically related activities.

And regarding conditioning:

17.3.2.1 Permissible Conditioning Activities. Team conditioning or physical-fitness activities supervised by coaching staff members may be conducted on or off court but shall not begin prior to the beginning of the institution's academic year in accordance with Bylaw 17.1.7.2. Such activities shall be limited to eight hours per week.

I don't know what the latest on Wiley, Welmer, or Foreman is. I don't think the issues with Wiley or Foreman were serious, so I don't expect them to be limited when practice starts.

Wiley and Isabell still appear to be at home per recent Instagram stories, but move-in week starts Thursday, so I'm sure they're going to be back any day now. Classes start Monday.

-so does this mean there can be practices on 30 of the 42 days before the first regular season game? this part of the regulation does not address how much time can be spent in those practices, guessing there is a limit

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-so does this mean there can be practices on 30 of the 42 days before the first regular season game? this part of the regulation does not address how much time can be spent in those practices, guessing there is a limit

That's correct.

This is different from a few years ago because they've lengthened the practice period before the season starts; I don't remember there being a 30-day restriction, but it only went about that long before, so it didn't matter as much.

Another change this year is that the start of the season - and therefore practice - was bumped forward three additional days, with a requirement that players are given a three-day break during the holidays. The three-day holiday break will vary by team based on scheduling, but will mostly fall on Christmas or immediately after.

I don't know that there is a time limit for full practices once the official period begins, just conditioning, as in section 17.3.2.1 above. There is language around what constitutes a non-practice activity and there is no restriction on those (promotional activities, film sessions, etc.), but I think the definition of "practice" is also broad enough as to not be restricted by time. This more or less sorts itself out because coaches don't want to exhaust guys before beginning a long season. Every coach is different, but the bottom line is that basketball is not football. They're not trying to physically beat players into submission.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That's correct.

This is different from a few years ago because they've lengthened the practice period before the season starts; I don't remember there being a 30-day restriction, but it only went about that long before, so it didn't matter as much.

Another change this year is that the start of the season - and therefore practice - was bumped forward three additional days, with a requirement that players are given a three-day break during the holidays. The three-day holiday break will vary by team based on scheduling, but will mostly fall on Christmas or immediately after.

I don't know that there is a time limit for full practices once the official period begins, just conditioning, as in section 17.3.2.1 above. There is language around what constitutes a non-practice activity and there is no restriction on those (promotional activities, film sessions, etc.), but I think the definition of "practice" is also broad enough as to not be restricted by time. This more or less sorts itself out because coaches don't want to exhaust guys before beginning a long season. Every coach is different, but the bottom line is that basketball is not football. They're not trying to physically beat players into submission.

-thanks and I didn't catch that time in film sessions is different than time on the court

Not really big but I am listening to TMA from this morning and they had about 1 minute discussion on the Billikens.  Doug Vaughn mentioned if they ever became a perennial tournament team he could see them becoming really big in this city.  Then him and Charlie Marlow started talking about how they should be a tournament team this year and have a few really good local kids in Gordon and Thatch which will help too.  Charlie even said he thinks they might've been a tournament team last year if not for the Situation.  

More just things a lot of us say but always good to hear from local sportscasters.  

32 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Serious question - would Eric Williams from Duquesne get PT for us?

Sure, why not.  Which teams wouldn't have a place for a 14.3 ppg player.  His stats line up with Javon Bess' numbers quite nicely.  Both are about the same height with Bess slightly bigger and stronger.

Williams 14.3 ppg / 8.8 rpg / 36% 3 pt / 39% 2 pt. 

Bess was 13.3 ppg / 7.4 rpg  / 27% / 39%.  Williams would certainly be in our rotation.  I'll take a second Javon Bess on this team.