2018-19 season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:
Also, Welmer is practicing. 

We've talked about him very little in terms of potential contributions, but he's a unique player on our roster in terms of size and skill set. There's a role for him if he's back to 100%.

HenryB and moytoy12 like this

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i could do that job of missing the shot from the head of the key if the team needs any volunteer assistance.

100 consecutive airballs short of the rim would kind of defeat the purpose of the drill.

this team will be better than 2013-14 by far. More talent, and better reserves. I don’t think this team can be worn town later in the season like the last great team we had, and since there are many that can compete, I don’t think will have any off court attitude problems affecting the team

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We've talked about him very little in terms of potential contributions, but he's a unique player on our roster in terms of size and skill set. There's a role for him if he's back to 100%.

He’s not absolutely critical to our success, but man, he adds something special to this team if he’s 100%.

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

He’s not absolutely critical to our success, but man, he adds something special to this team if he’s 100%.

We've talked about the main concern about this team - shooting - quite a bit. Something that doesn't get talked about much is how this is probably one of the shorter rosters in SLU history. Gordon and Welmer are listed at 6-9, the two tallest players on the roster, and I think that's about an inch or more generous for Gordon. Santos and Foreman 6-8, and French and Hankton are 6-7.

With Welmer, the tallest player on the roster also happens to be one of the best perimeter shooters. So you're spot-on; he's a valuable player to have on a roster loaded with physical, at-the-basket bigs and physical, drive-minded guards. Man, I hope he stays healthy.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

100 consecutive nothing but nets would kind of defeat the purpose of the drill.

obviously what you really meant to write.   thanks.  😉

53 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Hes huge for out 3pt and FT game.  And I love how he can stay out and let french or gordon or santos  go 1 on 1 alone in the paint.

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

this team will be better than 2013-14 by far. More talent, and better reserves. I don’t think this team can be worn town later in the season like the last great team we had, and since there are many that can compete, I don’t think will have any off court attitude problems affecting the team

Huge if true

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

large if factual

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We've talked about the main concern about this team - shooting - quite a bit. Something that doesn't get talked about much is how this is probably one of the shorter rosters in SLU history. Gordon and Welmer are listed at 6-9, the two tallest players on the roster, and I think that's about an inch or more generous for Gordon. Santos and Foreman 6-8, and French and Hankton are 6-7.

With Welmer, the tallest player on the roster also happens to be one of the best perimeter shooters. So you're spot-on; he's a valuable player to have on a roster loaded with physical, at-the-basket bigs and physical, drive-minded guards. Man, I hope he stays healthy.

Spponhour years were way shorter rosters ...Donnie Dubbs was a “big”

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

And jesus did anyone watch those rebounding drills closely?  Looks like some WWE stuff going on

-I wonder how you defend/abuse like that in practice and then not do it in games? I get it the offensive part of this, no one can stop us and play through contact (sounds too much like football to me)

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I wonder how you defend/abuse like that in practice and then not do it in games? I get it the offensive part of this, no one can stop us and play through contact (sounds too much like football to me)

I wonder/think its just learn how to play through contact

45 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

With our depth, I suspect Ford is willing to accept the risk/reward of committing too many fouls v. being aggressive. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Thinking about what Neufeld, Gilmann, and Jolly added to our team with all their height, I will take our short roster for this coming season without blinking an eyelash.

RiseAndGrind likes this

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

He’s going to open up a ton of space for our guys to get to the rim 

52 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

With our depth, I suspect Ford is willing to accept the risk/reward of committing too many fouls v. being aggressive. 

Too many fouls will result in losses.  I doubt Ford will be OK with that approach.  I think it is more what wgsl said - if you can play through that body contact you will get more baskets that count along with a foul shot.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Too many fouls will result in losses.  I doubt Ford will be OK with that approach.  I think it is more what wgsl said - if you can play through that body contact you will get more baskets that count along with a foul shot.

With this depth, we can afford to be aggressive. While we don't want to have too many fouls (i phrased it inaccurately), I suspect he's willing to get an extra foul here and there if we are being aggressive/physical.  

2 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

Remember the Huggins theory - if you foul all the time, the refs can't call them all. 🤔

This team has the look/feel of the mid-to-late 90's bearcat teams, except that we don't have anyone to play the Bobby Brannen role (thank god).