2018-19 season

On 8/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, brianstl said:

He’s the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about.

You see this cat Thatch is a bad mother

Hush your mouth

I’m talking bout Thatch

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Coleman is super close with Gordon (cousin, I think?), pictured on the left in his Twitter profile pic. I like having him as a SLU cheerleader. He's a super positive guy. Wired into the local HS sports scene, too, and is JV lacrosse coach at WGHS, and an assistant for Trinity basketball.

58 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Tyler Coleman is super close with Gordon (cousin, I think?), pictured on the left in his Twitter profile pic. I like having him as a SLU cheerleader. He's a super positive guy. Wired into the local HS sports scene, too, and is JV lacrosse coach at WGHS, and an assistant for Trinity basketball.

He is all aboard the SLU train.  

On 7/26/2018 at 1:55 PM, Pistol said:

2 categories the 2018-2019 team should be SLU's all time leader in: blocks and dunks.

Does anyone know if SLU keeps dunk records? They must somewhere, because I've seen tweets before about dunk leaders in Chaifetz. But I can't find anything publicly.

Block numbers go back to 1986. SLU's five best shot blocking teams:

• 2017-2018: 146 blocks (46th in D-I), led by French (59).
  • 2013-2014: 138 (101st), Loe (41), Manning (33).
  • 2009-2010: 169 (28th), Reed (73). All three of these are school records - total blocks, rank among D-I colleges in blocks, and individual blocks in a season.
  • 2006-2007: 142 (51st), Vouyoukas (57).
  • 1999-2000: 126 (66th), Tatum (29), Heinrich (28), Baniak (23).

I see no reason why this upcoming team won't challenge that record set in 2010, and if I had to guess, this team is going to take it. French is back, we add Santos (0.8 BPG in 17.1 MPG as a sophomore) and Gordon (2.0 BPG as a senior), we have good sized guards, and we should play more than 33 games this year. 146 blocks / 33 games last year = 4.42 BPG, which I think they should be able to beat. 169/36 in 2010 = 4.69 BPG, so there you have it: 4.7 blocks per game in a 36-game season would do it. That team crapped out in the conference tournament, losing to Rhody in their first game, but they got 5 games in the CBI. Another cleaner way to look at it: 5 BPG in a 34-game schedule gets them to 170 and the record.

This should easily be SLU's best dunking team of all time but I can't back that up with numbers at this point.

Predict an increase in 3-point shots by most teams as they attempt to copy Villanova’s model of play. No other NCAA champion had as many 3-point attempts in a season.

SLU will undoubtedly succeed in tough D and rebounding & it will be interesting to see how their 3-point shooting and 3-point D evolves...

It seems there is a general consensus that the biggest team  weakness going into this season is 3 point shooting.  But reflecting on Gordon's commitment that "we have it all". I was thinking of the team, position by position trying to identify the teams strongest and weakest position.  My projected starting 5 are Goodwin, Isabel, Bess, French and Gordon. While there are questions to be answered by those new to the team this year, I'm finding it difficult to clearly pick the weakest.  I will go with Goodwin for the strangest.  And if I have to, Isabel for the weakest only because he hasn't played with these guys.  My overall thinking is that this team is pretty balanced and that the weakest isnt very weak.  So who is your strongest and weakest pick of the starting 5?

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

It seems there is a general consensus that the biggest team  weakness going into this season is 3 point shooting.  But reflecting on Gordon's commitment that "we have it all". I was thinking of the team, position by position trying to identify the teams strongest and weakest position.  My projected starting 5 are Goodwin, Isabel, Bess, French and Gordon. While there are questions to be answered by those new to the team this year, I'm finding it difficult to clearly pick the weakest.  I will go with Goodwin for the strangest.  And if I have to, Isabel for the weakest only because he hasn't played with these guys.  My overall thinking is that this team is pretty balanced and that the weakest isnt very weak.  So who is your strongest and weakest pick of the starting 5?

I like your starting 5, but what I like even more are the guys off the bench; Santos, Wiley, Thatch, Foreman, Jacobs, Wellmer (?). Lot of guys that can give us different looks.