• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Thats valid.   I am a defense first coach and I have an assistant who is almost a football style offensive coordinator.   I hope he does find that person for defense because I don't think they are on the Sycamore staff with him right now

It seems that is so but then I am sure the salaries the assistants will make more here than at ISU so he will be in a better situation to do so but we will have to see.

9 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

I mean I do coach kids but that’s not the point.  You draw all over your board to just inbound and jack a 3?  Plus allow a 9-0 run to lose basically in a home game.   Defense is not a strong point with this coach.  Maybe he’s innovative on offense but he sure wasn’t in the most critical moment.  

nearly a 100 miles is not a home game.   

second, "jack a 3?" the timeout is likely called to calm his team.   get them in the right frame of mind and put everyone in the right place for reactions.    the play was likely always give the ball to a certain player that is best at creating his own opportunity.

third, the team lived and died on the thinking "we shoot threes or we get layups".   you can bet a layup in that scenario was unlikely to be allowed by seton hall.  remember there was a noticeable difference in size between the two teams.   seton hall was going to push and block the drive.  so if you are a great 3 point shooting team with only seconds to play, take what they give you.   besides, he got fouled on the shot and the zebras as expected for a team not a power conference team got screwed.

it's ok joey that you dont know anything about basketball.   i just appreciate so much you are a fan.   not a billiken fan, as you have shown the last few days you are already a schertz hater.  but if hating the billikens is going to be your M.O. for the forseeable future, i guess we just have to live with it.   keep up the great comments that gives us all an opportunity to comment.   makes life fun. 

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nearly a 100 miles is not a home game.   

second, "jack a 3?" the timeout is likely called to calm his team.   get them in the right frame of mind and put everyone in the right place for reactions.    the play was likely always give the ball to a certain player that is best at creating his own opportunity.

third, the team lived and died on the thinking "we shoot threes or we get layups".   you can bet a layup in that scenario was unlikely to be allowed by seton hall.  remember there was a noticeable difference in size between the two teams.   seton hall was going to push and block the drive.  so if you are a great 3 point shooting team with only seconds to play, take what they give you.   besides, he got fouled on the shot and the zebras as expected for a team not a power conference team got screwed.

it's ok joey that you dont know anything about basketball.   i just appreciate so much you are a fan.   not a billiken fan, as you have shown the last few days you are already a schertz hater.  but if hating the billikens is going to be your M.O. for the forseeable future, i guess we just have to live with it.   keep up the great comments that gives us all an opportunity to comment.   makes life fun. 

Sometimes you just need to tip your hat to the other team and the other coach.  Seton Hall played great defense on that play and realized that short of flat out punching someone the refs were likely to swallow their whistles in that situation.  I don’t even think Hall being in the Big East had anything to do with it.  Good refs don’t want to be the show at that point of the game.  Let the players make plays.

Ironbills and cheeseman like this

Just now, slufan13 said:

Who let Schertz sleep in this morning? We need him up and announcing his decision. Rise and grind

After a tough loss in a championship game it’s only natural to hit the bottle a little harder than normal. 

Let the man sleep it off then it’s time to hit the recruiting trail.

I am not a hater of this likely new coach.  I’m just guarded about it.  I don’t trust Chris May’s decisions and I feel Schertzs style might not fit our league.  And I think an actual search instead of just having 1 candidate might have been a better path.    If he does well I will be among the first to praise him. 

7 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I am not a hater of this likely new coach.  I’m just guarded about it.  I don’t trust Chris May’s decisions and I feel Schertzs style might not fit our league.  And I think an actual search instead of just having 1 candidate might have been a better path.    If he does well I will be among the first to praise him. 

You are presuming they didn’t start looking until Ford was gone.

They’ve been looking since at least January. Schertz was not the only one considered, even if he ends up being the only one offered.

mrjoelabs and billiken_roy like this

22 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I doubt May is driving this bus.  Chaiftz and others pulled this off.  There is evidence that someone else's fingerprints are all over this situation.  May's MO is to drag it out and take a very deliberate and slow decision making approach.  This moved with lightening speed.

mrjoelabs likes this

On 3/25/2024 at 9:11 AM, courtside said:

Schertz is expected to be SLU’s Head Coach. The deal was negotiated St. Patrick’s Day Weekend, and, it was finalized last Tuesday. 

For the 2nd straight year, those involved with SLU’s Head Coaching decision reached out to Chris Mack to gauge his interest.There was a specific group of SLU boosters/donors who reached out to Porter Moser regarding the job. Those people were very confident about Moser. When I refer to boosters/donors, these are recent 7 figure and up donor/boosters. 

Schertz, DeVries, Byington, Drew were the other list of names. SLU didn’t have to go past Schertz because they knew for some time, through Kyle Bowlsby, among others, that Schertz was interested in the SLU job. Byington has a connection with Kevin Eastman. Drew had interest for the 2nd time. There were some other names beyond that if it came to that. But it didn’t even get to the above names.

Blake Ahearn was not a candidate for the job. He was never considered during the recent process. Last year there was a group of boosters that wanted him to replace Ford. And they made enough of a fuss that it had to be addressed. At no time was Niele Ivey a candidate for the SLU Men’s Basketball position. She also is a former St. Louisan who was an NBA assistant to Taylor Jenkins. (after 11 years as a college assistant). Good luck to Niele as her team tries for their 3rd straight Sweet 16 this afternoon. 

A very small group of decision making SLU boosters/donors and a small group of SLU Admin handled the new SLU head coach hiring process. That included an additional familiar to many SLU employee that hasn’t been publicly mentioned. The mutual interest with Schertz was for several weeks. It was negotiated, finalized, and it’s been waiting to be announced. Bart Lundy and Cuonzo are two of the names contacted by Indiana State through a search firm to gauge interest as possible replacements there.

For reference and perspective, Grant McCasland was hired by Texas Tech last year. It wasn’t announced until March 31st, in part because his previous team, North Texas, won the NIT Championship. 

There wasn’t a follow up post, because the situation didn’t change. Regarding any drama after that, let’s just say some things aren’t always what they seem.

Officially, SLU first made contact with Josh Schertz March 13th. Unofficially, SLU targeted, and established mutual interest with Schertz, several weeks prior to that through a third party. Contract negotiations were ongoing St. Patrick’s Day weekend. And, a deal was finalized Tuesday March 19th. He wasn’t the only coach SLU contacted. And he wasn’t the only coach SLU interviewed. But he was SLU’s first snd only choice.

There were meetings on the 13th, 17th, and the 19th of March during the process. Immediately after these meetings, Trilly Donovan and Jeff Borzello were contacted by Evan Daniels and two other people.Ross Chaifetz was not one of these people. However he did communicate with them later in the process.

There also seems to be some confusion and misinformation out there regarding other SLU candidates. See the Coaching Carousel  post.

Just now, cheeseman said:

I doubt May is driving this bus.  Chaiftz and others pulled this off.  There is evidence that someone else's fingerprints are all over this situation.  May's MO is to drag it out and take a very deliberate and slow decision making approach.  This moved with lightening speed.

You and I have disagreed lately, but don't feed this troll.

Again, I think the way CM has ran the department culturally speaking is below average at best. He deserves a bit of credit for swallowing his pride and realizing he's not the smartest in the room.