5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

1.  If he decides to stay at ISU what happens to the buyout in the MoU? - does ISU pay it?  - or does it just not trigger?

2.  I believe someone posted that May has still been interviewing - not sure who was mentioned.

3.  I am still of the mind that the longer this goes the chances of us getting him drop - doesn't mean he won't come just that the chances decrease.

SLU has to interview multiple people for the opening for legal and internal reasons.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

1.  If he decides to stay at ISU what happens to the buyout in the MoU? - does ISU pay it?  - or does it just not trigger?

2.  I believe someone posted that May has still been interviewing - not sure who was mentioned.

3.  I am still of the mind that the longer this goes the chances of us getting him drop - doesn't mean he won't come just that the chances decrease.

1. If the MoU exists, and multiple media reported that it does, then he isn't staying at ISU. The idea of him still deciding is really just Terre Haute media playing the party line and keeping the fan base happy during the NIT run.

2. One MBM saying that is not really credible IMO. If the deal is as done as we want it to be with a MoU then the last thing you want to do is piss off Schertz by word leaking that you are talking to someone else. I doubt May is talking to anyone at this point!

3. If the chances are 98% at this point, waiting till after ISU loses in the semi-finals moves it to what, 97%. If they win the whole thing it goes to 96.5%? Not sure how this falls apart but it is definitely going to last until at least April 2 and likely the way they are playing, April 4th. Just turn off the computer and check back in on April 5th.

39 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Gtfo, he’s not staying at ISU.  If it wasn’t a lock he’s coming here, he’d have for sure gone to Louisville.  Over 20+ years of fandom, I’ve come to expect that what can go wrong with SLU hoops will go wrong, and even I think it’s a done deal. 

Unless something I was told before our season was even over was completely incorrect, there was no possibility of Schertz returning to ISU.  If things didn't work out for him at SLU he was going to take a new job somewhere.  He already had back plan in FAU because he knew it was going to be open if nothing worked out anywhere else.  

I doubt ISU could have found a way to fix all of the issues Schertz saw with being able to keep the program at ISU sustainable beyond this season.  It isn't just getting enough money to keep Schertz, it is not being able to have the funds and other things the players want to keep the team he built together.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Unless something I was told before our season was even over was completely incorrect, there was no possibility of Schertz returning to ISU.  If things didn't work out for him at SLU he was going to take a new job somewhere.  He already had back plan in FAU because he knew it was going to be open if nothing worked out anywhere else.  

I doubt ISU could have found a way to fix all of the issues Schertz saw with being able to keep the program at ISU sustainable beyond this season.  It isn't just getting enough money to keep Schertz, it is not being able to have the funds and other things the players want to keep the team he built together.

Not to bag on ISU, but this is their best season is 45 years. He's taken them as far as anyone can reasonably expect. It's time for him to move on and I'm thrilled that he has apparently decided to do it with us.

58 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I like to go about these things by asking, what would a rational human being do?  Through most of this process, Mr Schertz has been revealed as a rational human.

1.  His friend is interested in the UofL job, but receives death threats from that crazy fan base.  Schertz, seemingly acting as a rational human, probs doesn’t want to be exposed to that too.  
2. Why would Schertz pass on a significant pay raise for one last hoorah at a salary that may be comparable to the SLU offer, but doubtful.  
3.  Most rational people prefer certainty (a significant pay raise over several years) vs uncertainty (coming back for one year and if things backfire, his chance at that same significant raise could be gone)

And one last thing, who the heck wants to live in Terra Haute when you can live in St Louis and enjoy all the Bud Select you’d like?

I have an interesting question for you laker 119. I assume you are, or have been married. Think back upon the time you were choosing your wife. Why did you marry her and not someone else? Most people, rationally or irrationally, chose someone sometimes for reasons they do not fully understand. And there is the answer to your question at least a portion of every major life choice is not fully rational or fully understood. There is something inside you saying "this is the one."

Take the economy for example, long ago in the XVIII century it was presumed that people always decided upon what was best for them. This is incorrect, a lot of decisions are made without a full understanding of something or the other that may or may not be what is best for the person making the decision. Everyone that has divorced understands this concept. 

What makes you think that Schertz decision will be totally rational?

Ironbills and AMDG-Unit like this

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I have an interesting question for you laker 119. I assume you are, or have been married. Think back upon the time you were choosing your wife. Why did you marry her and not someone else. Most people, rationally or irrationally, chose someone sometimes for reasons they do not understand. And there is the answer to your question at least a portion of every major life choice is not fully rational.

Take the economy for example, long ago in the XVIII century it was presumed that people always decided upon what was best for them. This is incorrect, a lot of decisions are made without a full understanding of something or the other that may or may not be what is best for the person making the decision. Everyone that has divorced understand this concept. 

What makes you think that Schertz decision will be totally rational. 

🤣🤣 never change, og 

Ambitious coaches (and their agents) who want to reach the top of college basketball are looking for the best path to that top level, destination, hall of fame job: top dollars, top players, ranked almost every year, ncaa tourney and wins almost every year, high-quality organization/school, and good place to live. For Schertz, right now, Saint Louis looks like a good next step. He could elevate Saint Louis to Gonzaga status, or he succeed here and move on in a few years to power conference job that is not a shambles or perennial loser. He can bring top players from his system at ISU to Saint Louis, win here, and then he could take his future all-conference players from Saint Louis to the next level.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

1. If the MoU exists, and multiple media reported that it does, then he isn't staying at ISU. The idea of him still deciding is really just Terre Haute media playing the party line and keeping the fan base happy during the NIT run.

2. One MBM saying that is not really credible IMO. If the deal is as done as we want it to be with a MoU then the last thing you want to do is piss off Schertz by word leaking that you are talking to someone else. I doubt May is talking to anyone at this point!

3. If the chances are 98% at this point, waiting till after ISU loses in the semi-finals moves it to what, 97%. If they win the whole thing it goes to 96.5%? Not sure how this falls apart but it is definitely going to last until at least April 2 and likely the way they are playing, April 4th. Just turn off the computer and check back in on April 5th.

So, in summary nothing I said is actually wrong - correct.  

57 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I choose my wife because she has a nice rack. It’s worked out so far.

I do know one thing, if I turned down a job paying 2.5 million for a job paying  800,000 I’d have to find a new wife. 

You have confirmed that money is much more important to you than most other things. Everybody is free to think and have his/her own preferences. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I do know one thing, if I turned down a job paying 2.5 million for a job paying  800,000 I’d have to find a new wife. 

This is probably the funniest comment I’ve read on this board.  Thanks for the chuckle.

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Yeah he's not staying at ISU.  You take the job with the 700% pay increase (or 250% if they truly do have the funds to bump it up to $800K) and don't look back.

Either that part of Rick's tweet was to keep their fanbase happy during their NIT run as you said, or it was given to Rick by the Schertz team as a way to save face with their fanbase once he bolts for SLU ("It was a really tough decision (it wasn't) but ultimately we felt a move to SLU was best for our family").

If Schertz were to stay, I'm not even sure they'd be able to afford to bring back their starting five. $300K isn't going to cut it.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

My DMs are always open...

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

-here's where Jimbo would have "pics or gtfo"

dlarry likes this

Schertz seems to be a done deal. He hasn’t been to a program he can really recruit top level talent. Ford started off recruiting hot off the bat. If it wasn’t for the incident and covid I think he could out recruit over his coaching short falls, and we would have a competitive SLU team here today. 

Schertz seems to have the coaching down. There’s no reason SLU can’t have a similar program to Marquette. We have an identical program, city and school 

Here are the steps that I think have transpired. SLU tells Ford they are cutting ties 3 weeks before it is announced. At that time, they hire a search firm to see if any of the coaches on SLUs list have any interest. = SLU is interested in talking to SLU Schertz and he is interested in SLU. Talks progress, there are interviews and discussions about salary, contact and NIL commitment. At some point there is a meeting of the minds and Shertz committs to a contract. That was probably before selection Sunday. SLU needed a contract in order to wait for his season to end. They offered what it took to get the agreement.

The contract has a buy out, so Schertz was, and probably is, able to exit the contract, but it has a significant buy out. 

The buy out is too steep for Indiana State. No way SLU made an offer, and Shertz gets to make up his mind at the end of his season as to staying at ISU or leaving.

If he goes anywhere but SLU, SLU gets paid. A school like Louisville probably has the money to pay the buyout. 

Bottom line, it's a done deal, unless a deep pockets school and Shertz decide to dance, AND  SLU gets paid.

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Yeah that chart should give anybody with doubts the reassurance they need that this is the guy. I wonder what McCollums look like.

good ? don't really c that kind of chart shown much during my insane amount of watching this game

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Schertz seems to be a done deal. He hasn’t been to a program he can really recruit top level talent. Ford started off recruiting hot off the bat. If it wasn’t for the incident and covid I think he could out recruit over his coaching short falls, and we would have a competitive SLU team here today. 

Schertz seems to have the coaching down. There’s no reason SLU can’t have a similar program to Marquette. We have an identical program, city and school 

Not the identical conference of course, but head and shoulders over the MVC.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I have an interesting question for you laker 119. I assume you are, or have been married. Think back upon the time you were choosing your wife. Why did you marry her and not someone else? Most people, rationally or irrationally, chose someone sometimes for reasons they do not fully understand. And there is the answer to your question at least a portion of every major life choice is not fully rational or fully understood. There is something inside you saying "this is the one."

Take the economy for example, long ago in the XVIII century it was presumed that people always decided upon what was best for them. This is incorrect, a lot of decisions are made without a full understanding of something or the other that may or may not be what is best for the person making the decision. Everyone that has divorced understands this concept. 

What makes you think that Schertz decision will be totally rational?

I’m not married, but thanks for the history lesson OG