2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

55 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

So a large circumference matters in head coaches?

I'm not touching that one with a 6" pole

SLU_Lax likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that Majerus had a large circumference and also died young, age 64. He had a 23 year history of heart disease by the time he died. It can be said that he was not in good shape when he became the Bills HC. I would prefer a new coach which is younger and has signs of living a long life, particularly if we are going to give him a long contract. 

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Schertz is the coach that most physically resembles Majerus. Lock em' down.

McCollum is the coach who has most of Majerus' personality traits ie most likely to sh*t in a towel and make fun of physically handicapped players.  Lock em' down.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Power 5 Circumference > Mid Major Circumference 

I did know a guy once whose waist size exceeded his height. He called himself “circumferentially challenged “. Ruined the suspension of every car he ever owned. Never coached so idea how that relates to coaching, but he did make an interesting first impression.

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I did know a guy once whose waist size exceeded his height. He called himself “circumferentially challenged “. Ruined the suspension of every car he ever owned. Never coached so idea how that relates to coaching, but he did make an interesting first impression.

Is he available?

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Sadly no, his physique did not lead to a long life

Refer to Old Guy on his health issues.

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

McCollum is the coach who has most of Majerus' personality traits ie most likely to sh*t in a towel and make fun of physically handicapped players.  Lock em' down.

I second that. It must now clear the approval of the Sargent-at-Arms, Douglas C. Neidermeyer.

Lord Elrond likes this

5 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I knew of a guy who had a nickname “Mr. 5 by 5” because his waist size equaled his height.

All candidate are listed in their order of preference within their tier

Tier 1 (Turns us into a Sweet 16 program) - Schertz

Tier 2 (Huge upside carries notable risk) - McCollum

Tier 3 (revives us but the ceiling isn't where it should be ) - Moser, Mack, Holtman, Kerns, Enfield, DeVeries, Kelsey, Wardle

Tier 4 (keeps the program out of the basement but shouldn't be employed) - Pitino, Ahearn

Tier 5 (it's only going to get worse than it is now) - Crean, Weber, Ford

billiken_roy and johnbj14 like this

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Tier 3 (revives us but the ceiling isn't where it should be ) - Moser, Mack, Holtman, Kerns, Enfield, DeVeries, Kelsey, Wardle

Tier 4 (keeps the program out of the basement but shouldn't be employed) - Pitino, Ahearn

Moser should be in a tier of his own at the top, Mack should be in Tier 1. In my opinion. 

NextYearBill likes this

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yeah, personally, I don't quite agree with this. Mine is more along these lines with the names you mentioned:

Tier 1: Mack, Moser, Wade

Tier 2: Holtmann, Schertz, McCollum

Tier 3: DeVries, Petino

Tier 4: Kerns, Enfield, Kelsey, Wardle

Tier 5: Ahearn

Tier 6: Crean, Weber, Ford, Cuonzo, Etc..

Mack, Moser, & Wade would make SLU instantly relevant nationally. If you can get one, you don't pass them up. 

16 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

Yeah, personally, I don't quite agree with this. Mine is more along these lines with the names you mentioned:

Tier 1: Mack, Moser, Wade

Tier 2: Holtmann, Schertz, McCollum

Tier 3: DeVries, Petino

Tier 4: Kerns, Enfield, Kelsey, Wardle

Tier 5: Ahearn

Tier 6: Crean, Weber, Ford, Cuonzo, Etc..

Mack, Moser, & Wade would make SLU instantly relevant nationally. If you can get one, you don't pass them up. 

I would also add Bucky McMillan to tier 2. I feel like he should be getting discussed much more than he is. 

On 2/23/2024 at 9:25 AM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Based on absolutely nothing but I think we land one of the handful of guys most talked about recently: McCollum, Schertz, Holtmann, DeVries, etc. McCollum probably the least likely because SLU is too chicken sh*t to pursue a D-II coach, followed by Holtmann who probably takes a P-6 job. But if we strike out on those top 4-5 I really like Jack Godar's approach of sifting through resumes and finding coaches that have consistently won at places with less resources than SLU or are currently winning a lot at a place with less resources than SLU (Pat Kelsey for example). I certainly don't have my finger on the pulse of the 300+ D-1 college coaches but I'd imagine we could pull a handful of decent candidates using that criterion. Strike out again? Desperation time. Okay, time to shift focus to guys with local ties that may have what it takes to be a college head coach.

Kim Anderson should be a cautionary tale for getting blinded by D-II success...

cgeldmacher likes this

17 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

I would also add Bucky McMillan to tier 2. I feel like he should be getting discussed much more than he is. 

This might not be a bad route to go, he could perhaps bring along his top two players who are juniors. I think several of the other names mentioned are unrealistic. I don't see Moser leaving OU for this job. If/when Creighton opens up, I could see that being very appealing to him. Wade? No thanks - aside from all the FBI stuff he just seems like a tool who rode Shaka's coattails. Schertz would be excellent and there is the potential that he could bring along some excellent players, but I would think he could land a P6 job. Li' Pitino? Blah... plus I doubt he leaves New Mexico for SLU. I imagine UNM is set up much better for NIL than SLU with their fan support and he is in a multi-bid league. Besides, I believe that rumor was probably floated out there by his agent or someone tied to him in order to try to get a raise.

How about Byington at James Madison? An East Coast guy who might be a good fit in the A-10.

52 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

For every Kim Anderson you have a Bob Huggins, Bo Ryan, Bruce Pearl, Steve Alford, Kelvin Sampson, John Chaney or John Beilein.

On 2/25/2024 at 1:55 PM, thetorch said:

I believe the towel motivational tool was a Booby Knight special. Although, it was rumored that Rick pulled out his wanker to demonstrate how much room he wanted between a screener and the ball handler. 

1 hour ago, kappy96 said:

I get that viewpoint. McCollum hasn’t coached in D1, so there’s an inherent risk there. At the same time, I think there is a difference between McCollum and Anderson. In addition to the eye-popping record at Northwest Missouri State, 4 national championships, he’s seemingly brilliant as a tactician and coach. D1 coaches pick his brain in the offseason. 
Anderson, while he has a lot of success at UCM, I don’t think he was known for being a brilliant tactician. I think it was more of a mix of old Mizzou fans wanting a return to the Norm Stewart days, and Anderson happened to be fresh off a national championship. Without him being a “true son” of Mizzou, he doesn’t get hired there.

Everyone is in love with Schertz, but his evidence of success at the D-1 level consists of one and a half seasons and no tournament appearances yet.  It's amazing to me how the momentum on this board flows.  In the past, guys were absolutely adamant that we get a guy with a history of success in getting to the tournament.  Now, because a guy's name is popular, its okay to get a guy with no track record.

Let's look at this season.  Who is Indiana State's biggest win this season?  I don't see one.  They have lost to Michigan State (by 10), Alabama (by 22), Drake (by 11), Illinois State (by 13), and Carbondale (by 5).  I have to guess their biggest win is over Drake by 8, but this is just a wash since they lost to them by 11 on the road.  Is this the track record you guys are all fired up about?

AGB91 and JMM28 like this