GDT - Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers

40 minutes ago, willie said:

Just saw from Rothstein that Kentucky's 7 footer Ivisic has not been cleared yet. So it's not only SLU  NCAA's imcompetance. 

Thanks for posting. This answers one question I had. I had seen articles written about the waiver process being delayed due to the increased volume of requests, but had no idea about clearing newcomers. It would seem like the clearinghouse might be having some issues related to foreign players and getting thru their paperwork with regards to the standard eligibility requirements. I have no idea what the reason is and while still frustrating, at least others are in the same boat. Figure it out NCAA.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

im a big believer both rebounding and particularly rebounding are more mental and effort than skill.   i understand the likes of jordan goodwin, kevin lisch and javon bess are rare, that's the trait a coach should be looking for when recruiting to a great degree.  

That is true to some degree but rebounding is also about size,  strength, and athletic ability.

Goodwin worked his tail off but he also had the rare ability to know where the ball was going to go after a missed shot. He would head to that spot before the ball clanked off the rim. That isn’t a learned skill, that is just a natural ability and feel for the game he had. Not many people have that ability. He was also long and athletic. 

I could put in all the effort in the world and I wouldn't get any tough rebounds in a D1 game. 

Effort can get you a ton of boards at the CYC level but you need more than that in D1.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

im a big believer both rebounding and particularly rebounding are more mental and effort than skill.   i understand the likes of jordan goodwin, kevin lisch and javon bess are rare, that's the trait a coach should be looking for when recruiting to a great degree.  

Whether you believe it's skill or effort, mediocre rebounders don't all of a sudden become great rebounders.  That kid has been doing it for years already.

2 hours ago, willie said:

Just saw from Rothstein that Kentucky's 7 footer Ivisic has not been cleared yet. So it's not only SLU  NCAA's imcompetance. 

Ivisic committed in August, faced admissions questions throughout August and September, was admitted to UK on 10/4, and showed up on UK's campus 2 weeks ago. And UK fans are unhappy that he hasn't been cleared yet.

SLU had at least 2-3 months of extra time on its international players compared to UK and Ivisic had eligibility questions from the jump. It's not a comparable situation.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

That is true to some degree but rebounding is also about size,  strength, and athletic ability.

Goodwin worked his tail off but he also had the rare ability to know where the ball was going to go after a missed shot. He would head to that spot before the ball clanked off the rim. That isn’t a learned skill, that is just a natural ability and feel for the game he had. Not many people have that ability. He was also long and athletic. 

I could put in all the effort in the world and I wouldn't get any tough rebounds in a D1 game. 

Effort can get you a ton of boards at the CYC level but you need more than that in D1.

No doubt.  Goodwin knew where the ball was going, had like a 6'11 wingspan and huge hands.  You need the genetics and the know-how to be a great rebounder.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Obviously, they had the AC on.  Once again a lack of attention to detail by the AD department

While I can't speak for the entire band, I didn't mind it at all since I wasn't sweating my a$$ off while playing.

As a segue, I'd rather have the temp it was at as our new unis are going to be hockey jerseys and if they crank the heat up, it'll be like back in the day when we wore the wool rugbies back at Savvis/Scottrade...ughhhh  🫠🙄

2 minutes ago, SLUAvtr said:

As a segue, I'd rather have the temp it was at as our new unis are going to be hockey jerseys and if they crank the heat up, it'll be like back in the day when we wore the wool rugbies back at Savvis/Scottrade...ughhhh  🫠🙄

Hear, hear. I want the classic polos back.

RUBillsFan likes this

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

No doubt.  Goodwin knew where the ball was going, had like a 6'11 wingspan and huge hands.  You need the genetics and the know-how to be a great rebounder.

I wonder how many rebounds Goodwin might have had if he didn't have to battle French for many of them.

I wonder how many rebounds French might have had if he didn't have to battle Goodwin for many of them.

CenHudDude and billiken_roy like this

3 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Hear, hear. I want the classic polos back.

Good God NO!!!!!  The T-shirt knit kind I'm perfectly fine with, just not the wool ones.  They were too damn hot, tough to keep from shrinking (actually, impossible), and they looked like crap after you washed them a bunch because they faded too quickly.  But again, I'm all for my T-shirt knit one.

I'm actually looking forward to this change, as the prototype/mock-up looked AWESOME in our kick-off meeting.  Hopefully they do look as good as the mock-up.🤞

7 minutes ago, SLUAvtr said:

Good God NO!!!!!  The T-shirt knit kind I'm perfectly fine with, just not the wool ones.  They were too damn hot, tough to keep from shrinking (actually, impossible), and they looked like crap after you washed them a bunch because they faded too quickly.  But again, I'm all for my T-shirt knit one.

I'm actually looking forward to this change, as the prototype/mock-up looked AWESOME in our kick-off meeting.  Hopefully they do look as good as the mock-up.🤞

I like the hockey jersey move. They should have done football jerseys, would have been a cool nod to history.

With NIL basically making college sports semi-pro the NCAA should just declare a blanket waiver to all Int players. Why go thru this charade of keeping supposed pros from soiling the purity of college athletics. Seems to be a good deal of featherbedding going on in Indianapolis. 

billikenbill likes this

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I like the hockey jersey move. They should have done football jerseys, would have been a cool nod to history.

Agreed, but the hockey jerseys are a bit better all-weather/all-situation choices.  Plus, you get into some weird cuts of jersey with those, and the hockey jerseys just provide a bit more room to move, which is always a plus.

4 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Speaking of the band, I counted 38 members in attendanve.

Sounded good

And thanks!  Small but mighty is our motto this year.  So for those not in the know, the students are now split between 2 groups, "Blue" and "White" Bands.  They are expected to show for their designated color games, however, are responsible for coordinating their replacement if they want to switch with the other band.  However, both have free reign to show for all games if they want.  Alumnus are free reign to come to any game, though we'll be leaned upon during Winter Break to be there as usual.

You'll also probably notice a bit of a drawback in our initial repertoire of music choices, and this was on purpose due to the short rehearsal season and trying to get everyone accustomed to our brand/style of playing.  Grant already is planning to boost the song list later this season as everyone settles into the season.

And I did read in another post (it'd been awhile since I last read through everything), but Grant actually DOES have previous experience/affiliation with SLU Band.  He is actually a Mike Beczkala product, first going through the Columbia schools, then actually being his "intern" 2009-ish, and played on the line with me that year.  Just an FYI

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Ivisic committed in August, faced admissions questions throughout August and September, was admitted to UK on 10/4, and showed up on UK's campus 2 weeks ago. And UK fans are unhappy that he hasn't been cleared yet.

SLU had at least 2-3 months of extra time on its international players compared to UK and Ivisic had eligibility questions from the jump. It's not a comparable situation.

-do we know when we submitted the paperwork for our guys to the NCAA? I know they are not comparable but could UK have been in line before us? 

54 minutes ago, SLUAvtr said:

Agreed, but the hockey jerseys are a bit better all-weather/all-situation choices.  Plus, you get into some weird cuts of jersey with those, and the hockey jerseys just provide a bit more room to move, which is always a plus.

And thanks!  Small but mighty is our motto this year.  So for those not in the know, the students are now split between 2 groups, "Blue" and "White" Bands.  They are expected to show for their designated color games, however, are responsible for coordinating their replacement if they want to switch with the other band.  However, both have free reign to show for all games if they want.  Alumnus are free reign to come to any game, though we'll be leaned upon during Winter Break to be there as usual.

You'll also probably notice a bit of a drawback in our initial repertoire of music choices, and this was on purpose due to the short rehearsal season and trying to get everyone accustomed to our brand/style of playing.  Grant already is planning to boost the song list later this season as everyone settles into the season.

And I did read in another post (it'd been awhile since I last read through everything), but Grant actually DOES have previous experience/affiliation with SLU Band.  He is actually a Mike Beczkala product, first going through the Columbia schools, then actually being his "intern" 2009-ish, and played on the line with me that year.  Just an FYI

-band was good, thank you all for doing that

-I was on the concourse at 6.30, stopped to listen when I heard it and a broad smile on my face all indicated it's bball season

Lost in the Goodwin rebounding greatness is the fact that he was never boxed out.  Why?  Because he was covering a point guard or shooting guard who basically chucked and ducked back on defense.  This is not the same as French battling down low with a similarly sized opponent, both searching for the same thing.  Having a guard rebound is great but it also denies him from being the outlet pass receiver to initiate any fast break --- which we had very few of over the course of his tenure.  Different animal.  You never saw Goodwin throw a full court bounce pass ala Collins to Jimerson.  Just not his style.  Not a knock, but a reality.

SluSignGuy likes this

4 hours ago, SLUAvtr said:

I'm afraid that they'll look too similar to the ones from Rally House.

I'm not a fan of the hockey jersey idea. I'd rather have the rugby or the polos from the mid 2000s.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour

7 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-do we know when we submitted the paperwork for our guys to the NCAA? I know they are not comparable but could UK have been in line before us? 

We don't know when, exactly, but we're getting the idea SLU compliance dropped the ball this year.

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Lost in the Goodwin rebounding greatness is the fact that he was never boxed out.  Why?  Because he was covering a point guard or shooting guard who basically chucked and ducked back on defense.  This is not the same as French battling down low with a similarly sized opponent, both searching for the same thing.  Having a guard rebound is great but it also denies him from being the outlet pass receiver to initiate any fast break --- which we had very few of over the course of his tenure.  Different animal.  You never saw Goodwin throw a full court bounce pass ala Collins to Jimerson.  Just not his style.  Not a knock, but a reality.

ill take jgood's consistency and over the top effort if forced to choose.   too bad he never shot like he does now in the nba.  somebody fixed his shot AFTER slu.  

On 10/27/2023 at 4:58 AM, billiken_roy said:

ill take jgood's consistency and over the top effort if forced to choose.   too bad he never shot like he does now in the nba.  somebody fixed his shot AFTER slu.  

What?  He is shooting 27% from the 3, 32% overall so far this season.  Sounds like the same JGood to me.