GDT - Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers

26 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Nothing wrong with calling a tool a tool.  Vice looks pretty dumb with the redshirt, especially in the age of instant eligibility for transfers.  The route to PT at big schools (if that was his goal) for HS seniors, except for the best players in the nation, is playing a lot at smaller schools first.  He will be recruited over in a second at Creighton.  

He had to look around and feel recruited over with 7 footer Bruce Zhang coming innas a freshman

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, gabriel said:

Ok I’m confused by your guys argument - people were praising brock vice when it looked like he was going to get minutes after their exhibition games this off-season but that’s just not the case.

Now it looks like he’s not good enough to sniff the floor this year and there’s a decent chance that creighton will recruit over him next year with them being a top 10 program and him not being a nationally touted recruit.

I may be crazy but I don’t think red shirting is the best path forward for a recruit in todays age of transferring and the NIL

You were spot on with this. Amusing to see some of the push back you got.

gabriel likes this

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

You were spot on with this. Amusing to see some of the push back you got.

Vice wanted to take a shot at making the rotation for a top 15 team.  He wasn't quite good enough so he took a redshirt year.  Now he enters the portal with all four years of eligibility.  I don't see the downside here.

thetorch, AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Vice wanted to take a shot at making the rotation for a top 15 team.  He wasn't quite good enough so he took a redshirt year.  Now he enters the portal with all four years of eligibility.  I don't see the downside here.

I never said there was a downside... at the time, gabriel and myself suggested that the redshirt meant that he likely wouldn't continue his career at Creighton - and that's exactly what happened. He may go on to have a fine career elsewhere, but it was never likely to be at Creighton. 

gabriel likes this

1 minute ago, ACE said:

I never said there was a downside... at the time, gabriel and myself suggested that the redshirt meant that he likely wouldn't continue his career at Creighton - and that's exactly what happened. He may go on to have a fine career elsewhere, but it was never likely to be at Creighton.

I agree with that.  Here's the other side of that.  Because of the portal there's no reason for a big kid that's borderline high major to go mid major out of high school.  He can always redshirt, maintain his four years of eligibility, jump into the portal and transfer down.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree with that.  Here's the other side of that.  Because of the portal there's no reason for a big kid that's borderline high major to go mid major out of high school.  He can always redshirt, maintain his four years of eligibility, jump into the portal and transfer down.

Gabriel was pushing back on some who thought Vice would be a contributor at Creighton, The moment he red shirted, it became pretty clear that his career was likely done there.

I agree, that strategy makes sense for a big, but I really wonder how many kids enter a situation thinking that way, though. It would be smart if they did.