Welcome, Aboubacar Magassa!

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I may be captain obvious here, but I'm thinking Ford is planning on playing 2 bigs at a time this season.

I tend to think so too. It’s the only way for this one to make sense. That way getting dandridge still makes sense 

No idea about this guy but I like the idea of signing international kids and just throwing as many big bodies as possible onto the roster. The last few teams were not only lacking in high end talent in the front court but also severely lacking in any sort of depth. One or two of these guys are going to pan out especially if you add Danridge and at that point you never know what will happen in a depleted A10. Will it turn us into a top 25 team? Probably not. But if we make the tournament, that is finally some momentum to build on again. 

willie and BilliesBy40 like this

SLU will have a very young squad.  I count 6 freshmen and sophomores, basically half the squad.  One or two of these freshmen really need to compete for rotation minutes right from the start, even if the last 2 scholarships go to upper class transfers.

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

No idea about this guy but I like the idea of signing international kids and just throwing as many big bodies as possible onto the roster. The last few teams were not only lacking in high end talent in the front court but also severely lacking in any sort of depth. One or two of these guys are going to pan out especially if you add Danridge and at that point you never know what will happen in a depleted A10. Will it turn us into a top 25 team? Probably not. But if we make the tournament, that is finally some momentum to build on again. 

I tend to agree. One caveat being that we need to really work on retaining them if they do not find immediate success. I was texting with Pistol about this and he mentioned that point becomes more pronounced when you consider these guys (Magassa and van Bussel) are committing sight unseen and don't have the same connection to college hoops. Often times International players take some time to adapt to the US game and if we sign Dandridge and Ezewiro gets the waiver (I am assuming these guys are all getting waivers at this point) with guys like Dalger and Hargrove playing the 4 (at least how Ford has traditionally used that position at SLU), minutes while available are really going to have to be earned. With Zhang and van Bussel they will be looking for minutes with Dandridge and Ezewiro at the 5. I think Ezewiro talked about some stretch ability he is looking to display, so maybe he becomes an option at the 4 as well. When I looked up Magassa, I see him much more as a combo forward, so I see him as being in competition for minutes at the 4, I don't really see him as a 5, but maybe I am missing it. He seems like the type of player many of us having been begging for. Again, I have not seen him, so I need to pump the brakes, but he does seem to fit being more of what I call a true 4 (obviously Denver plays several guys who fit that position and do pretty well with it). While I have not seen any of the incoming freshman, I do like the idea of recruiting International guys, but again, we need to work on retention as they adapt to the college game and develop (and obviously the transition to just being in the US).

6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

More believable than the fabled Reggie Agbeko Duke interest… 

Reggie absolutely had the physical build to play major college basketball. Just like didn't have the skills. So I can believe the big boys at least sniffed around on him early.

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Reggie absolutely had the physical build to play major college basketball. Just like didn't have the skills. So I can believe the big boys at least sniffed around on him early.

Reggie had short arms for his size… would have been a baller if he had a decent wingspan 

The U21 league he plays in is very good.  Several 23 & 24 NBA draft prospects played in the league this season.  While there are differences to the game, the inside game is weak in the league, overall this league's talent is on par with a D-1 conference.  The best player in the league is going to be a top ten draft pick this season.

He puts up good numbers.  Plays mainly close to the basket, a little PnR, postups and putbacks.  Has an outside shot but takes fewer than 2 3s a game so small sample size.  Defense will be a ? but he rebounds okay, especially on the offensive end.  Not much of a rim protector.  He does match up well on the inside with quick hands.  He's not huge but not skinny either.  

This looks like a great late season signing.  We get a 4 man who could conceivably start or at least play rotation minutes.  Rim protection on the inside is still an issue but this guy bring several qualities to the table that we lacked last season.

Here is my take...

Let's look at his most recent team....

Roanne U21 is a basketball team based in Roanne, France. The team is composed of young and talented players who are under the age of 21. They compete in various youth basketball leagues and tournaments in France and Europe. Roanne U21 is known for their fast-paced and aggressive style of play, with a focus on teamwork and ball movement. The team is coached by experienced and knowledgeable coaches who are dedicated to developing the skills and abilities of each player. Roanne U21 is a promising team with a bright future ahead, and they are committed to achieving success both on and off the court.

Besides the interesting commentary ...what does this mean?....Computer says it is equivalent to D1 basketball...But what does that mean...KU basketball or St. Francis(NY) basketball?....Neither ...Roanne basketball is equivalent to approximately a 100 SOS...Hmmm... who has an SOS around 100? ...Answer is...The Bills (98)...So he is a good fit for SLU.

Next up a quick correction to the lead article above announcing his Bills choice....he is actually 1.98 meters tall. They are very exacting in Europe....That translates to 6'6" (6'595" for the Euros on the board) not 6'9".

Now let's look at his slash...He has a large sample size (played 779 min in 33 games...24 min /gm ) except for 3P%...so the numbers are meaningful and comparable to D1.....65.6% / 70.6 / S3 / 64......A+ /A+ / S3 / F-...If he played this last year for the Bills and put up these numbers......FG%..12th ITN......2P%...7th ITN.

Bottom line...Potential difference maker.

Tonka likes this

16 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Here is my take...

Let's look at his most recent team....

Roanne U21 is a basketball team based in Roanne, France. The team is composed of young and talented players who are under the age of 21. They compete in various youth basketball leagues and tournaments in France and Europe. Roanne U21 is known for their fast-paced and aggressive style of play, with a focus on teamwork and ball movement. The team is coached by experienced and knowledgeable coaches who are dedicated to developing the skills and abilities of each player. Roanne U21 is a promising team with a bright future ahead, and they are committed to achieving success both on and off the court.

Besides the interesting commentary ...what does this mean?....Computer says it is equivalent to D1 basketball...But what does that mean...KU basketball or St. Francis(NY) basketball?....Neither ...Roanne basketball is equivalent to approximately a 100 SOS...Hmmm... who has an SOS around 100? ...Answer is...The Bills (98)...So he is a good fit for SLU.

Next up a quick correction to the lead article above announcing his Bills choice....he is actually 1.98 meters tall. They are very exacting in Europe....That translates to 6'6" (6'595" for the Euros on the board) not 6'9".

Now let's look at his slash...He has a large sample size (played 779 min in 33 games...24 min /gm ) except for 3P%...so the numbers are meaningful and comparable to D1.....65.6% / 70.6 / S3 / 64......A+ /A+ / S3 / F-...If he played this last year for the Bills and put up these numbers......FG%..12th ITN......2P%...7th ITN.

Bottom line...Potential difference maker.

I think he has grown since the roster you were looking at. I see him listed at 204 cm. 

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Aboubacar-Magassa/603119