Welcome, Aboubacar Magassa!

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think he has grown since the roster you were looking at. I see him listed at 204 cm. 

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Aboubacar-Magassa/603119

That makes him 6' 8.3"....he grew 2 inches between reports....At this rate he will be a 7 footer by the time he is a Junior.

brianstl likes this

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Aboubacar-Magassa/Summary/185545

https://www.proballers.com/basketball/player/236189/aboubacar-magassa

Not sure what to make of this....I read the link that Brian put up which says he is 204 cm (6'8")....These 2 links say he is 198 cm.. 6'6" and are dated at the end of this season...2 weeks ago

5 possibilities

1...He is a short big guy

2...He is a big guy

3...He has the ability to grow at a rate of 1 inch per week

4...People are just making stuff up.

5...No one understands the metric system.

bauman likes this

6 hours ago, The Wiz said:

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Aboubacar-Magassa/Summary/185545

https://www.proballers.com/basketball/player/236189/aboubacar-magassa

Not sure what to make of this....I read the link that Brian put up which says he is 204 cm (6'8")....These 2 links say he is 198 cm.. 6'6" and are dated at the end of this season...2 weeks ago

5 possibilities

1...He is a short big guy

2...He is a big guy

3...He has the ability to grow at a rate of 1 inch per week

4...People are just making stuff up.

5...No one understands the metric system.

Means he is between 6-6 and 6-9, which usually means he’s 6-5.

Not to beat a dead horse (that's what you do in the off season) but there is a plausible explanation.

Generally, teams measure players at the beginning of the season....when a player is ready to move on to the next phase of his career they sometimes take a measurement at the end of the season...especially if they are young. He was 17 at the start of last season.  If you allow for rounding errors...he could have been 198.49 cm...6' 6.15" at the start of the season. At the end of the season (8 months later) he could have measured 204.49 cm....6'8.51" or rounded up to 6'9".

So the question is ...could a 17 year old grow 2 3/8 inches in 8 months.  The answer is yes.   Maybe not common but certainly not rare.  If he could do that again,  he could be 6'11" by the start of the A-10 season.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Not to beat a dead horse (that's what you do in the off season) but there is a plausible explanation.

Generally, teams measure players at the beginning of the season....when a player is ready to move on to the next phase of his career they sometimes take a measurement at the end of the season...especially if they are young. He was 17 at the start of last season.  If you allow for rounding errors...he could have been 198.49 cm...6' 6.15" at the start of the season. At the end of the season (8 months later) he could have measured 204.49 cm....6'8.51" or rounded up to 6'9".

So the question is ...could a 17 year old grow 2 3/8 inches in 8 months.  The answer is yes.   Maybe not common but certainly not rare.  If he could do that again,  he could be 6'11" by the start of the A-10 season.

You are correct.  The issue usually is is if you grew early then your spurt will probably be less when others who did not show growth spurts.  Growing 3-6 inches in high school is not that uncommon.  Agree that not everyone has that happen but it happens enough that it is plausible 

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Reminds me of the great Fletch, who was 6’5” but 6’9” with the Afro, per Chick Hearn. A total difference maker on the ‘84-‘85 world champion Lakers. 

Greatest movie of all time. 

You know this gritty kid from the streets of Harlem really creates excitement. $4 million dollars a year, that's true, but he earns every nickel of it. Look at how he shakes off 4 or 5 defenders...WITH EASE!

thatskablamo likes this

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Greatest movie of all time. 

You know this gritty kid from the streets of Harlem really creates excitement. $4 million dollars a year, that's true, but he earns every nickel of it. Look at how he shakes off 4 or 5 defenders...WITH EASE!

Couldn’t agree with you more - then joined the ranks of “Caddyshack” and “Airplane!” in “Movies that didn’t need a sequel.” 

I’ll be in my Oldsmobuick or out on the lanai if you need me.