Transfers - 2023

ACE

I’ll take the 12 number for wins. We’re going to be young and inexperienced. With players still coming in it will take time to mesh. If we win 12 Ford will be fired and the haters will rejoice. If we win 20 that would be significant and he should be your coach of the year. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

I’ll take the 12 number for wins. We’re going to be young and inexperienced. With players still coming in it will take time to mesh. If we win 12 Ford will be fired and the haters will rejoice. If we win 20 that would be significant and he should be your coach of the year. 

20 wins should not get the highest paid coach an award. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

20 wins should not get the highest paid coach an award. 

If you’re supposed to go 12-21 and you go 20-13 that would be pretty good. What I should have said is that it won’t lead to a coaching change. 

I'll take the over on 1.5 more years with Travis ford as our head coach almost no matter what our record is after the season or our roster looks like. Nobody that matters has given any reason to believe otherwise. May Pestello and Chaifetz all seem happy and they're the only 3 who matter 

49 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'll take the over on 1.5 more years with Travis ford as our head coach almost no matter what our record is after the season or our roster looks like. Nobody that matters has given any reason to believe otherwise. May Pestello and Chaifetz all seem happy and they're the only 3 who matter 

Nero 

1 hour ago, DOC said:

If you’re supposed to go 12-21 and you go 20-13 that would be pretty good. What I should have said is that it won’t lead to a coaching change. 

I see your point. 

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

When you think about people saying NIL money has made college athletics a dirty business, it’s actually made it cleaner. Prior to NIL passing, getting top recruits was a slimy under the table behind closed doors business, eg a poor kid suddenly arrives on campus driving a new Jeep Wrangler. NIL money has now somewhat leveled the playing field at least at the P5 level where their big moneyed donors can fight it out in the free agent market. But it’s all being done in the light of day.

I think it will get there, but I don’t think many coaches would agree it has created a level playing field yet as programs are rapidly adapting to and changing based on what other programs are doing with some states (Missouri being one) even creating legislation for NIL that benefit the in-state schools. On the front end was still the idea that NIL cannot be a recruiting inducement or pay for play (and at one point I thought I saw something about deals needing to be fair market value and the NCAA appears to still be saying some of these things despite the environment clearly not following any of that) and there was an initial thought that coaches could not be involved. With it evolving by the recruiting cycle and not because of the rules changing, but how other programs are stretching it without concern for any rules, I don’t think it has quite hit the point of creating a level playing field. I think/hope it will get to that point, but it does not appear to be currently. Any chance Ford with his time at Oklahoma State and having played at Kentucky benefited from the seedier under the table environment?

3 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Maybe.......if Perkins and Thatch were 100%

That’s it. Had anyone said Perkins will be a sliver of his old self and we will lose Thatch halfway through, who would have called that even a sure NCAA team much less one the best in Billikens history.

Can you say Ford should have been prepared? Maybe, but there was no way to know either of those in advance. 

The NIL shouldn’t be a problem with all the big mouths on Billikens.com, you’d think we’d be one of the top 5-10 NIL schools in the country. All the talk of accountability doesn’t seem to apply to boosters 

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Right…it would lead to one more year of people wondering whether SLU will ever get over the hump…

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

That’s it. Had anyone said Perkins will be a sliver of his old self and we will lose Thatch halfway through, who would have called that even a sure NCAA team much less one the best in Billikens history.

Can you say Ford should have been prepared? Maybe, but there was no way to know either of those in advance. 

The NIL shouldn’t be a problem with all the big mouths on Billikens.com, you’d think we’d be one of the top 5-10 NIL schools in the country. All the talk of accountability doesn’t seem to apply to boosters 

Except against SIUE when Perk is the leading scorer and Thatch is fully healthy…and inexplicably nobody will pass to that hot hand again in the closing minutes…Ford should have been prepared for that one, no?

billiken_roy and TheA_Bomb like this

2 hours ago, DOC said:

This board truly needs to find a way to resist equating number of wins to some kind of objective metric.  

Us loading up on 200+ Sagarin rated schools and going 10-3 is not impressive in the slightest.  

I think we can all agree that a 20 win season where a team goes say, 8-10 in conference is not impressive.  The whole point of the non-conference is to prepare you for the conference season.  

However a 20 win season and say, an 11-7 conference record would be impressive for a team with a bunch of question marks.  And we haven't seen this many question marks for a Billiken team in a minute.

CenHudDude and VeniceMenace like this

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Right…it would lead to one more year of people wondering whether SLU will ever get over the hump…

Except against SIUE when Perk is the leading scorer and Thatch is fully healthy…and inexplicably nobody will pass to that hot hand again in the closing minutes…Ford should have been prepared for that one, no?

So you are saying you were expecting a tourney team even if you’d have known you would have a diminished Perk and lose Fred mid year? 

I love your optimism. 

Can’t argue a horrible finish to the SIUE game. Though the real issue was giving up 30 pts in less than 10 min. Just hold them to 27 pts in 10 min and we win. Of course Ford should be accountable for that but so should the players who played far below their level

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think we can all agree that a 20 win season where a team goes say, 8-10 in conference is not impressive.  The whole point of the non-conference is to prepare you for the conference season.  

Actually 8-10 impresses the NET depending on what P5 you’re in 

wgstl likes this

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

However a 20 win season and say, an 11-7 conference record would be impressive for a team with a bunch of question marks.  And we haven't seen this many question marks for a Billiken team in a minute.

11-7 in a conference that is looking like a single bid one isn’t anything to write home about. 20 wins will get you a nice view from the couch when the tournament rolls around just like this year. 

I think that’s the ultimate point a lot of frustrated fans are trying to make. We’re being sold that 20 wins is a big accomplishment, when in reality the program isn’t progressing to higher levels of success. 

29 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

11-7 in a conference that is looking like a single bid one isn’t anything to write home about. 20 wins will get you a nice view from the couch when the tournament rolls around just like this year. 

I think that’s the ultimate point a lot of frustrated fans are trying to make. We’re being sold that 20 wins is a big accomplishment, when in reality the program isn’t progressing to higher levels of success. 

A coach and a team deserves credit for exceeding expectations in a given year.  Why?  Because exceeding expectations is immediately followed by increased expectations that you have to meet. 

The issue bedeviling Coach Ford is as soon as expectations increase, his teams fail to meet them.  Some of that is his fault, some of that is bad luck.  He's got 2 years to change the narrative and prove he can meet or exceed expectations 2 years in a row.  Good luck to him and the Billikids.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

So you are saying you were expecting a tourney team even if you’d have known you would have a diminished Perk and lose Fred mid year? 

I love your optimism. 

Can’t argue a horrible finish to the SIUE game. Though the real issue was giving up 30 pts in less than 10 min. Just hold them to 27 pts in 10 min and we win. Of course Ford should be accountable for that but so should the players who played far below their level

Sorry for the confusion, l wasn’t expecting a tourney team at that stage. Was saying the Perk & Fred deficiencies mentioned were not major factors vs SIUE, and they still managed to blow another lead…which leads one to conclude that even with a fully healthy Perk, NCAA not a sure thing precisely due to your excellent point about the real issue here, porous D growing worse each season…which Ford is accountable for.

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

To be fair, pretty much the same team (without Perkins) was a 3 seed in the NIT in 2022. With nearly everyone back (we swapped out Linssen and Nesbitt for Pickett and Forrester) we should have been a Tournament team whether Perkins was back to 100% or not. Thatch getting hurt was a blow, but we still had the talent to have been in Tournament consideration. I absolutely was expecting to be, at a minimum, on the bubble even with the hand we were dealt.

SLUMedBilliken15 and slu72 like this

19 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Sorry for the confusion, l wasn’t expecting a tourney team at that stage. Was saying the Perk & Fred deficiencies mentioned were not major factors vs SIUE, and they still managed to blow another lead…which leads one to conclude that even with a fully healthy Perk, NCAA not a sure thing precisely due to your excellent point about the real issue here, porous D growing worse each season…which Ford is accountable for.

I think we are on the same page. However, I generally tend to put 75% blame on the player as long as the player is actually capable of performing at a level that would have got the job done. And 100% the players were capable of not allowing 30 points in 10 min. Heck, they allowed 39 in the 1st 30. I get that teams get hot and go on streaks but a 10 min streak at about a 120 pt a game rate. Ridiculous. 

And I’m a big Yuri fan who thinks he gets unfairly judged on this board, but he had numerous turnovers that lead to easy buckets during that stretch. Gibby was like 1/12 or something also. Fred didn’t shoot well either if I remember right. 

That 10 min was like the Cardinals season, Even Arenado has been bad defensively. 

My point with Ford is people want him fired based upon expectations that weren’t fair with the way Perk played and Fred getting hurt. I’ think his seat should be warm, but Im not wanting him fired based upon not making the tournament in a season which we ended up not actually having the talent we thought we were going to have. 

Imo the biggest fault of the team was the inability of our guards to play even a little tight D and still keep their man in front of them, and I think we were athletic enough to do it. We just didn’t. Slow reactions, incorrect angles, slow help… letting guards consistently get in the lane just leads to so many other problems. Yes Ford has major accountability for the poor D

DOC and cgeldmacher like this

Ford never has and never will.  Some people can and some can't. 

From the allegory "Ship of Fools" by Sebastian Brant, "You can send an a$$ to school but he will not come back a horse."

I wish it weren't so but we're stuck in NIT bubble hell until he's gone. 

8 hours ago, thetorch said:

There are no more transfers to get.

i mean even if this is the case, the fact is that this thread has devolved again into an anti-Ford diatribe, which is the point I am trying to make.  And I’m not even a Ford fan in the slightest, fyi 

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

There are no more transfers to get.

As of July 10th, 44% of the players who’ve entered the portal have not found a new place to play. That says there are hundreds of players still available, if you want them.

Only 1 in 11 who found a new place to play went up a level, the rest went down or stayed the same. One aspect of the portal that everyone is overlooking is what a great job it does in clearing off recruiting mistakes made by coaches. If you want to get rid of the portal, then you have to guarantee that a recruit who doesn’t break team rules and stays academically eligible gets to keep his spot, even if he doesn’t develop athletically as expected. 

MVwU93dv_x96.jpg

2022-23 CBB Transfer Portal Stats As of today, of all the athletes that have committed to a new program, 1 out of 11 players who transferred this year went up in the portal, the rest have either transferred lateral or down. If rosters were finalized today, 44% of players who entered the portal this year would not play NCAA basketball in the upcoming 2023-24 season. #TP4PT #TransferPortal

laker119 likes this