Transfers - 2023

ACE

34 minutes ago, laker119 said:

i mean even if this is the case, the fact is that this thread has devolved again into an anti-Ford diatribe, which is the point I am trying to make.  And I’m not even a Ford fan in the slightest, fyi 

There seems to be a new rule on this board that all threads must inevitably turn into an anti-Ford diatribe. If someone were to start a thread on the chemical makeup of the best varnish to use on a basketball court, by the end it would be about how the makeup selected for use at Chaifetz proved beyond all doubt why Ford must go.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dandridge has no clue what he wants to do but we're the desperate lapdog just waiting for him to come back. Outside of him, I don't really see many, if any, difference makers left out there at positions we need who would come here. 

Tons of unknowns for next season. Lots of potential. We will win more than 12 games unless team chemistry is pitiful (Dandridge? I know the staff says he's a good kid but he isn't really showing it). We will likely do what we always do. Get off to a hot start in non-conference play. Lay a huge egg or two later in non-conference play. Be up and down in conference play with some impressive wins and some head scratching losses. Have some horrible in-game coaching followed by a genius scouting report for the next game. Get lit up by a mediocre player. Set some sort of individual record which takes the stain away from the actual team. Finish the season with some momentum and then take a huge dump at some point sometime in Brooklyn. Be somewhere in the 18-22 win range. Have the same discussion March-August as we did this year. 

15 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

A coach and a team deserves credit for exceeding expectations in a given year.  Why?  Because exceeding expectations is immediately followed by increased expectations that you have to meet. 

The issue bedeviling Coach Ford is as soon as expectations increase, his teams fail to meet them.  Some of that is his fault, some of that is bad luck.  He's got 2 years to change the narrative and prove he can meet or exceed expectations 2 years in a row.  Good luck to him and the Billikids.

Just too many unknowns going into this season to expect we’ll hit 20 Ws. If we do manage to get there then our foreign bigs will have exceeded our current expectations, and our young wings and guards have upped their games avoiding the dreaded Soph slump. 
Our season will depend on how well we defend. Other than Gibby, we have no other proven scorers. To get wins we’re gonna have to make our games ugly by running down the clock and playing in your grill hard nosed D on every possession. 

23 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

There seems to be a new rule on this board that all threads must inevitably turn into an anti-Ford diatribe. If someone were to start a thread on the chemical makeup of the best varnish to use on a basketball court, by the end it would be about how the makeup selected for use at Chaifetz proved beyond all doubt why Ford must go.

To be fair, the most recent Ford talk started because a poster said he should be coach of the year if the team wins 20 games.  It wasn't started by the people that aren't happy with Ford.

I wonder what the academic impact is of the big number of players transferring? I know Covid added an extra scholarship year for many students and that may have a temporary booat to graduation rates. Changing schools generally means a loss if credits toward a degree. For most student athletes the degree is the greatest treasure they leave with. My concern is this transfer craze will end with a significantly smaller number of graduates. 

28 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just too many unknowns going into this season to expect we’ll hit 20 Ws. If we do manage to get there then our foreign bigs will have exceeded our current expectations, and our young wings and guards have upped their games avoiding the dreaded Soph slump. 
Our season will depend on how well we defend. Other than Gibby, we have no other proven scorers. To get wins we’re gonna have to make our games ugly by running down the clock and playing in your grill hard nosed D on every possession. 

I'm not really interested in what the expectations of MBMs are because we're all a little crazy.  I am interested in what the national media, who markets are program to the masses, forecasts for our season.  I expect it will be .500 or lower based on all the question marks we have. 

Let's say we exceed those expectations. We're right back to media expectations of an NCAA bid the following season.  I root for all of our coaches but there's no way around that.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Dandridge has no clue what he wants to do but we're the desperate lapdog just waiting for him to come back. Outside of him, I don't really see many, if any, difference makers left out there at positions we need who would come here. 

I am impressed to see that you have evaluated all the C and PF still available.  I did a very quick look and disagree that there are no difference makers still out there.  The C from UNLV, who was the SC DPOY intrigues me.  But being a two time transfer already, has he graduated?  We certainly don't want two players needing waivers. 

Several transfers who redshirted last season due to injury, are also of interest.  Can you tell me why none of them would help?

And how many players are attempting to graduate this summer, enabling them to be graduate transfers, avoiding the waiver requirement.  They could enter the portal at the end of summer school with their diploma.

Kansas had a HS decommit today.  He was on campus, participating in drills, then packed his bags and left.  The list of available recruits changes daily.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not really interested in what the expectations of MBMs are because we're all a little crazy.  I am interested in what the national media, who markets are program to the masses, forecasts for our season.  I expect it will be .500 or lower based on all the question marks we have. 

Let's say we exceed those expectations. We're right back to media expectations of an NCAA bid the following season.  I root for all of our coaches but there's no way around that.

After all the hype from national media preceding last year’s team you can probably take their assessments with a huge grain of salt. That said, I’d expect when the 144 list comes out we’ll be in the 140 to 130 range. And I’d expect the Ford backers, like Rothstein , won’t give us a second thought. 

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

We tend to have long memories on here. Especially the painful ones, and last season was a real guy punch. I don’t think the Ford criticism will end any time soon, and if this year goes as most expect, ie more pain, the Ford bashing will only increase. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

To be fair, the most recent Ford talk started because a poster said he should be coach of the year if the team wins 20 games.  It wasn't started by the people that aren't happy with Ford.

What are you talking about? Let’s start with honest and then move to fair. Someone put Ford on blast right before my comment. What I said wasn’t pro Ford either. I was just saying if we get picked towards the bottom of the conference and win 20 we would be at the top of the conference and coach of the year candidate. Remember, we won 21 last year and finished 2nd. 

We're going to be picked to finish like 8th in the conference if I had to guess and some people are going to equate that to a 12 win team projection. Every team has question marks in the NIL/portal/COVID year era so I don't really give any coach a pass at this point. But this is why it's important to have your entire roster on campus at the beginning of the summer. Coaches have to get a feel for what they actually have on the roster. It sucks that a potential major contributor like Dandridge is yanking the staff's staffs for 2 months and they have little other choice but to let him keep going until someone finishes. 

11 hours ago, slu72 said:

After all the hype from national media preceding last year’s team you can probably take their assessments with a huge grain of salt. That said, I’d expect when the 144 list comes out we’ll be in the 140 to 130 range. And I’d expect the Ford backers, like Rothstein , won’t give us a second thought. 

We didn’t make the list 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I know these lists are just click bait and discussion fodder, but Cal won 3 games last year.  Gimme a fuoking break!

New coach....also did really well in transfer portal. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I know these lists are just click bait and discussion fodder, but Cal won 3 games last year.  Gimme a fuoking break!

And your pick for a top 4 or 5 A10 team, St Joes, comes in at 123. Doesn’t say much for A10 squads. Figure UD and VCU might crack the top 50. Who else makes it other than St B’s? 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

And your pick for a top 4 or 5 A10 team, St Joes, comes in at 123. Doesn’t say much for A10 squads. Figure UD and VCU might crack the top 50. Who else makes it other than St B’s? 

I forgot about this! They have St. Joe’s at #126 and #6 in the Atlantic 10.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

They have St Joes as #6 in the A10.  I'd guess 1-5 in no particular order are Dayton, VCU, Duquesne, LoyChi, and St Bona.  Mason or Fordham could be in if LoyChi or Bona aren't in there.

The Joey's return everyone except their starting center and they're replacing him with a massive seven-footer Named Christ who red shirted last year. Bonaventure returns all five starters. Everybody's gonna love Dayton because of DaRon Holmes. VCU is replacing everybody including the coach. Duquesne could be a dark horse, Dambrot returns two key players in Grant and Clark plus they will play a cupcake-filled schedule no matter what year it is.   Is two players enough? Loyola was horrible last year and they lost some transfers so it remains to be seen if Drew Valentine can salvage the ship. Mason lost everybody including their coach to Providence. And Fordham had only had two scores in Quizzenberry and Moore and both of them are gone.

I am sticking by St Joe's with Bonaventure both being top 4. Dayton and VCU have history so it's kinda hard to go against them. And as noted while Duquesne returns to Dambrot who has shown an ability to incorporate transfers.

Personally I think the A10 will be a notch better than last year.  I think VCU will be as good as last year, UD will be the same.  But the Dukes and Bonnies, maybe even Joeys will be right there around the 100 rank. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Personally I think the A10 will be a notch better than last year.  I think VCU will be as good as last year, UD will be the same.  But the Dukes and Bonnies, maybe even Joeys will be right there around the 100 rank. 

A10 always gonna A10…. Aka $hit the bed OOC and beat up in-conference on the few teams that didn’t. 

45 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Dandridge says his decision is coming soon so we should know by October if he'll play for us or not

Maybe he thinks he can maximize his NIL value by just working out and waiting for a team to have a player get injured and really need him and come in starting the spring semester? Sounds silly to me, but at this point who knows?