Very Interesting...

Schasz

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

You can make logical arguments to keep or fire Ford and you would be justified in your argument. He's staying at least one more year though. And he has the team playing good basketball right now. I'm a Ford doubter but we are really playing well right now and thats credit to him and the entire staff 

Bingo!

This is very well said and I agree 100%.

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, slufan13 said:

You can make logical arguments to keep or fire Ford and you would be justified in your argument. He's staying at least one more year though. And he has the team playing good basketball right now. I'm a Ford doubter but we are really playing well right now and thats credit to him and the entire staff 

So, if they play well it’s a credit to afford and the entire staff…does the opposite hold true when drubbed for the third time by VCU?

23 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Brian, the point was to imply that Stuen was the only one Ford could have a completely open and free conversation about the team, is ridiculous and to be honest, insulting to the current coaches.

No it's not. You and I work for the same boss, except the boss is your Uncle. You automatically have a closer, more frank relationship with the boss.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

No it's not. You and I work for the same boss, except the boss is your Uncle. You automatically have a closer, more frank relationship with the boss.

I agree with Zach. I sat behind the bench yesterday as usual . Virtually no interaction between the coaches on the bench who sat in silence the second half while Travis did little to “coach “ us through the adversity. Along with no interaction between the players and coaches to provide a “spark” it was if we were resigned to the outcome. 

majerus mojo likes this

3 minutes ago, billikenblue said:

I agree with Zach. I sat behind the bench yesterday as usual . Virtually no interaction between the coaches on the bench who sat in silence the second half while Travis did little to “coach “ us through the adversity. Along with no interaction between the players and coaches to provide a “spark” it was if we were resigned to the outcome. 

Sounds fairly typical of the crapola from the past 7 years, and May wants more of the same...he needs to go too!!!

You could tell when they interviewed Ford at the under 12 media timeout he was at a loss. When they asked him what do they need to do to take better care of the ball, he said take better care of the ball. You could tell the interviewer was surprised by the answer he again asked, but what do they need to do to take better care of the ball a frustrated Ford said be stronger with the ball. These are players that have played against VCU their entire career and the third time this year and they looked like they were encountering it for the first time. 

This Twitter thread perfectly articulates the state of this program. We suck! Not just the MBB team this year. It's the school as a whole. Every year we watch our US News ranking slip higher and higher, the school refuses to make a real connection with the alums, and the school leaders refuse to see, right or wrong, that athletic programs elevate the status of universities in this country.

Im beating a dead horse, but I don't care. I am so jealous of schools like Marquette, Dayton, Xavier, and Creighton, who have built programs that the alums can be proud of. Every home game for these schools is an exciting event that builds community and pride for the school. We don't have that. The difference between these schools and SLU is that they understand the importance of collegiate sports and have committed to building and maintaining their athletic programs. 

Chris May has to go. In 15 years, what are his accomplishments? I get that he's raised money and built some stuff, but the state of our athletic programs has remained essentially unchanged. Saint Louis Univerity is being left behind in higher education, and a big part of that is our lack of excitement around our athletic programs.

48 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

This Twitter thread perfectly articulates the state of this program. We suck! Not just the MBB team this year. It's the school as a whole. Every year we watch our US News ranking slip higher and higher, the school refuses to make a real connection with the alums, and the school leaders refuse to see, right or wrong, that athletic programs elevate the status of universities in this country.

Im beating a dead horse, but I don't care. I am so jealous of schools like Marquette, Dayton, Xavier, and Creighton, who have built programs that the alums can be proud of. Every home game for these schools is an exciting event that builds community and pride for the school. We don't have that. The difference between these schools and SLU is that they understand the importance of collegiate sports and have committed to building and maintaining their athletic programs. 

Chris May has to go. In 15 years, what are his accomplishments? I get that he's raised money and built some stuff, but the state of our athletic programs has remained essentially unchanged. Saint Louis Univerity is being left behind in higher education, and a big part of that is our lack of excitement around our athletic programs.

I'm not super plugged in but...

The wbb team is going to their first ever tournament with an up and coming coach, the guys soccer team has the #1 ranked recruiting class and has competed on the national stage the last two years and look ready to do it again, the girls soccer team doesn't really need to be explained... Girls vball looks to be getting back on track. Baseball seems to be doing well besides the lack of a real stadium.

I know we all love men's bball but all of the programs matter when you want to move to the big east. If you want to say he should be gone because the guys bball program disappointed and that's all that matters that's fine. I would disagree but that's your opinion. But I don't think any logical person can sit here and ask what May has done when it looks like so many other parts of slu's athletic department are achieving great things....

8 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The wbb team is going to their first ever tournament with an up and coming coach, the guys soccer team has the #1 ranked recruiting class and has competed on the national stage the last two years and look ready to do it again, the girls soccer team doesn't really need to be explained... Girls vball looks to be getting back on track. Baseball seems to be doing well besides the lack of a real stadium.

I know we all love men's bball but all of the programs matter when you want to move to the big east. If you want to say he should be gone because the guys bball program disappointed and that's all that matters that's fine. I would disagree but that's your opinion. But I don't think any logical person can sit here and ask what May has done when it looks like so many other parts of slu's athletic department are achieving great things....

Good post even though I don’t agree with all of it. You have stated your case very well. Other than MBB (which drives the SLU bus), good things are indeed happening.

12 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

You’re both right, imo. 

Men’s basketball is the only sport that matters in the grand scheme of things. Every other sport could be winning conference championships, but if basketball is poor - people get fired. 

Showing a commitment to fully funding and supporting the non revenue programs is important too. Frankly that is one of the primary reasons that Creighton wound up making the MVC to Big East jump. SLU still doesn’t have anything close to that commitment though. 

thatskablamo and Bizziken like this

45 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Great, but unless it’s football, or Men’s basketball the vast majority or fans just don’t care. My guess is, there are a handful of women’s teams that really generate much revenue, or honestly are even follows that closely.  If you want the other sports to continue to compete at a high level—the MBB is what’s going to fund that.  It begins and ends with MBB.  As far as firing or extending Travis—everyone knows my take.  For those that are worried about recruiting, I think it’s a completely different landscape now with NIL and the portal.  The days of a recruit playing for one school is going away.  Way too many guys will take their craft somewhere else.  If Travis isn’t fired, and if he has 2 years left then he needs to earn the extension next year and if he doesn’t—cut bait with a year left and rebuild.  

4 minutes ago, BANGheGOTit said:

Great, but unless it’s football, or Men’s basketball the vast majority or fans just don’t care. My guess is, there are a handful of women’s teams that really generate much revenue, or honestly are even follows that closely.  If you want the other sports to continue to compete at a high level—the MBB is what’s going to fund that.  It begins and ends with MBB.  As far as firing or extending Travis—everyone knows my take.  For those that are worried about recruiting, I think it’s a completely different landscape now with NIL and the portal.  The days of a recruit playing for one school is going away.  Way too many guys will take their craft somewhere else.  If Travis isn’t fired, and if he has 2 years left then he needs to earn the extension next year and if he doesn’t—cut bait with a year left and rebuild.  

This is SLU mi amigo.  To state the vast majority of SLU fans could not care less about soccer is simply incorrect.  Did you attend the LIU playoff game two years ago? As insane as any Basketball game.   If IU had managed to beat Washington in a parallel game, we would have had 10,000 plus….if only….

20 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

This is SLU mi amigo.  To state the vast majority of SLU fans could not care less about soccer is simply incorrect.  Did you attend the LIU playoff game two years ago? As insane as any Basketball game.   If IU had managed to beat Washington in a parallel game, we would have had 10,000 plus….if only….

How much revenue does soccer produce?  I’m happy for all of the different sports doing well, but the reality is NOTHING will compare to football (SLU doesn’t have), or Men’s basketball.  It’s not a insult, it’s fact.  SLU basketball once upon a time drew over 17,000 fans per game.  The support is there. The new soccer team is getting 20k+, the Blues suck and still draw.  The Cardinals are among the top 5 in attendance year in year out.  The Rams sold out the dome when they won.  This city will support winners.  Even the horrible hands they were dealt in NFL franchises were supported in the rare instance when they won.  The freaking XFL has 35k fans today.  Too many fragile members on here are afraid (how in earth do you walk outside in STL?).  VCU has made the dance something like 6 out of 7 seasons!  THIS!  This can be done if people would hold the AD accountable—and not be satisfied with mediocrity (and stop acting like having a great softball team actually gets fans excited and coming to games and spending money).  Basketball.  It’s mens basketball.  Now time to see where winning teams/coaches get placed in the dance!  Hoping for favorable matchups for SEMO, Mizzou, Illini, and Drake—among others.  

40 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Bryce Drew has made the NCAA 2 out of 3 years at Grand Canyon University. 

Don’t remember if it was on the board or elsewhere that I brought him up, but Bryce Drew would definitely be someone to look at if we replaced Ford.  Chris Mack would still be #1 choice, even if not super realistic. 

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Yeah and our chess team is killing it. Extend May!