Jordan Goodwin Is Now A Memphis Grizzly

thetorch

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Woj is reporting the suns traded Cam Payne this morning to the Spurs.  That basically leaves no natural point guard on the roster, which leads me to think J Good will have a great shot at some point guard minutes this season. 

Suns are shopping for a PG. Pacers reported they have asked about TJ McConnell. The Suns have been active in roster construction to minimize the luxury tax hit. They added Bol Bol to take Payne’s slot subtracting $2m guarantee for a minimum $$ contract. They likely aren’t finished yet. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Suns are shopping for a PG. Pacers reported they have asked about TJ McConnell. The Suns have been active in roster construction to minimize the luxury tax hit. They added Bol Bol to take Payne’s slot subtracting $2m guarantee for a minimum $$ contract. They likely aren’t finished yet. 

slufanskip likes this

The young man has taken advantage of every opportunity he has earned to this point in his professional career, this is shaping up to be a big one! We are all pulling for you, Jordan! And thanks for posting that picture of a young Jordan with his mom and Beal, something most of us can relate to, so funny.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

They won’t save any money if Bol Bol makes the roster. As a fifth year player his minimum salary will be above $2 million next season.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They won’t save any money if Bol Bol makes the roster. As a fifth year player his minimum salary will be above $2 million next season.

Yossi Gozlan: The Phoenix Suns will reduce their tax penalty by approximately $18M by dumping Cameron Payne and replacing him with Bol Bol on a minimum salary. 

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah they save money off their luxury tax bill.  I think they go into training camp with J Good as the backup and it will be his job to lose.  

5 hours ago, BJK said:

On Goodwin and Hassan’s senior night were any of us thinking that Jordan would one day be on a championship caliber NBA team backing up Beal at the point and dishing to Kevin Durrant? Things have escalated quickly. So happy for him! 

I will admit I didn’t think he’d make it this far.  Mainly because of his shot.  I’m glad I was wrong and he’s doing so well.  He’s worked hard for everything he’s achieved.  Congrats to Jordan.

Jordan is the perfect guy to have this type of success happen to from SLU's perspective.  He is a local kid who trusted our program with his future.  He spent all of his eligibility at SLU battling like a warrior every minute of every game.  Now he's earned his way into a great spot on a top team in the NBA.  Ford should be hyping Jordan's story when talking to recruits much more so than talking about Marcus Smart.

4 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Jordan is the perfect guy to have this type of success happen to from SLU's perspective.  He is a local kid who trusted our program with his future.  He spent all of his eligibility at SLU battling like a warrior every minute of every game.  Now he's earned his way into a great spot on a top team in the NBA.  Ford should be hyping Jordan's story when talking to recruits much more so than talking about Marcus Smart.

I recall a recent interview where Medley referenced what the coaching staff did with Goodwin and Yuri, in his decision to play for the Billikens and to stay with them. I dont think we have a problem with Ford  leveraging the individual success of our recent point guards. Im sure the Billikens will do everything possible to make Godwin feel welcome at SLU and SLU games.

with the more restrictive "2nd Apron" salary cap in the new CBA, increasingly the title contenders are going to be a handful of guys making 8 figures, and everyone else making $1-2M.

The best case scenario for a fringe NBA player is to land on one of these contenders and have a legit role to play. 

You would be hard pressed to find a team that had less at stake last season than the Wizards - they were too good to be in contention for Wemby but not good enough to compete for a play in spot.

Conversely, there's no team with more at stake in the next 2 years than the Phoenix Suns (and Boston Celtics and I guess the Dubs). If JGood can be part of that Suns rotation, he could find himself playing meaningful minutes in the postseason - which increases his chances of earning another deal, and sticking as a utility player for bargain shopping contenders going forward.

brianstl likes this

When it comes to recruiting, Travis Ford should have no issue with recruiting guards. He was a guard himself at both Missouri and Kentucky. He went to a national title game as a point guard with Kentucky. In his recent tenure at St Louis he's had Javon Bess, a guard; Tremaine IsabelL, a guard; Jordan Goodwin, a guard; Gibson Jimerson, a guard; and Yuri Collins, a guard. If you count all those as successes then the failures would have to be in the big men. DJ Foreman. Hasahn French. Francis Okoro. And I've already done the litany of big men that have transferred out of this program in the last six or 7 years under Fort. The guards under Travis Ford are not a problem.

4 minutes ago, DOC said:

Hasahn French was a failure. Ok.  

absolutely not a failure, but didn't improve much over 4 years.  He is not someone you can use as an example of coaching up like Ford could the other guards mentioned above. 

Has frosh season   9.3 ppg, 7.1 rebounds, 53.5 FG%, 36.4% FT, 1.8 blocks

Has senior season  9.2 ppg, 7.4 rebound, 53.3 FG%, 32% FT, 1.4 Blocks

He was also a T100 recruit, sooooo that's pretty underwhelming on development. 

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

absolutely not a failure, but didn't improve much over 4 years.  He is not someone you can use as an example of coaching up like Ford could the other guards mentioned above.

Yeah, French had a really good career, but was largely the same player as a senior as he was when he walked on campus. I am starting to think that is becoming the case for most players as the prep level and basketball specific training has progressed so much over the past ten years. A couple of years ago I had this same thought and wanted to deep dive on it, but then realized I didn't overly care.

Billiken Rich likes this

Has was a one trick pony, bully ball which he mastered, but also made it really easy for opponents to defend or foul him because of how bad his FT shooting was. If he could have developed any kind of mid range shot beyond 3 feet and got his FT % up around 60% it goes without saying he could have been way more effective. Either he didn’t work hard enough on these skills, or the staff didn’t stress it enough. 

29 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, French had a really good career, but was largely the same player as a senior as he was when he walked on campus. I am starting to think that is becoming the case for most players as the prep level and basketball specific training has progressed so much over the past ten years. A couple of years ago I had this same thought and wanted to deep dive on it, but then realized I didn't overly care.

Especially for non-shooting big men.  Today's college basketball is a guard's game.  If you're a big whose game is 5 feet and in, there isn't much upside there.

35 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Has was a one trick pony, bully ball which he mastered, but also made it really easy for opponents to defend or foul him because of how bad his FT shooting was. If he could have developed any kind of mid range shot beyond 3 feet and got his FT % up around 60% it goes without saying he could have been way more effective. Either he didn’t work hard enough on these skills, or the staff didn’t stress it enough. 

To say French didn’t work hard enough or the staff didn’t care enough is ridiculous. It was all in his head. 

HoosierPal likes this

3 hours ago, DOC said:

To say French didn’t work hard enough or the staff didn’t care enough is ridiculous. It was all in his head. 

His FT shooting was definitely in his head. My question to the coaching staff was did they ever bring in a shrink to work with him. If they didn’t they should have. 

slu72 likes this

French was a great Billiken, maybe one of my most favorite players of all time,however, I agree with the statement he was essentially the same player as a senior as he was as a freshman. You'd have to look long and hard to see much in terms of development. The numbers quartered above show almost mirror images freshmen to senior year. Now maybe he learned more of the intangibles and the subtle aspects of the game as his career were on maybe not. Who knows the sad point is for the most part success is shown numerically and that's not always fair.

The Pod Boys just did some sort of bracket on most improved Billiken of all time. I casually glanced at it but I didn't really follow it but from where I'm sitting right now I don't recall and I sincerely doubt French was in any of the brackets. Guys that obviously got better overtime as they move through their Billiken careers where guys like Dwayne Evans, Brian Conklin, Irwin Claggett, and the current version of Gibson Jimerson. Hasahn French was essentially as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar but again the same player all four years.