Barstool Sports Take on Jordair Jett

Taj79

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Depends on whether you win or lose the fight. 

As per NCAA rule 23.32 subsection C. I quote “in the event of a disqualification due to fighting the NCAA toughness quotient will be immediately applied and should be used to determine any positive or negative effect on the NCAA net rating. If a clear winner of the fight can be determined the team that won the fight shall receive  a 10 net point gain. The team determined to be the loser shall have a 10 net point loss. If no clear winner can be determined neither teams net rating shall be affected.” 

Based upon the above rule which is very clear, I think the attempt by Grant to get the game disqualified was a miscalculation. We have Fred Thatch. 

Thatch, Okoro, and Nesbitt in a fight would be similar to Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O’Neal, and Ron Artest.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line to me is Jordair Jett did nothing egregiously "wrong."  Should he have returned the ball quicker?  Probably.  But other than that (and video shows the ref having the ball in his hands rather quickly) all he did was verbalize.  So too did Smith and Elvis.  Not a single SLU player was involved.  They all ran to the other end to celebrate Nesbitt's dunk.  Grant and his staff were the problems.  The refs had it under control.  Do you defend your players?  Sure.  But from what?  Words?  Grant escalated it as likely a teaching/motivation ploy for his battered troops.  Hell, Jett never left his seat from what I could tell.

Ergo, there was no "fight."  The NCAA can't legislate and enforce its rules against fans, maybe some sanctions against the school.  But nothing happened.  Even when the great Cincinnati/Xavier fight occurred, players involved were ejected and suspended.  The game finished.  Grant could not have lobbied for any adverse action against SLU --- none of our guys were involved.  Grant could have pulled his team from the court but that would have been on Dayton i.e. Dayton forfeits.  TRhe games ends there in a 71 to 57 SLU victory.  That's how I see it.

42 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Bottom line to me is Jordair Jett did nothing egregiously "wrong."  Should he have returned the ball quicker?  Probably.  But other than that (and video shows the ref having the ball in his hands rather quickly) all he did was verbalize.  So too did Smith and Elvis.  Not a single SLU player was involved.  They all ran to the other end to celebrate Nesbitt's dunk.  Grant and his staff were the problems.  The refs had it under control.  Do you defend your players?  Sure.  But from what?  Words?  Grant escalated it as likely a teaching/motivation ploy for his battered troops.  Hell, Jett never left his seat from what I could tell.

Ergo, there was no "fight."  The NCAA can't legislate and enforce its rules against fans, maybe some sanctions against the school.  But nothing happened.  Even when the great Cincinnati/Xavier fight occurred, players involved were ejected and suspended.  The game finished.  Grant could not have lobbied for any adverse action against SLU --- none of our guys were involved.  Grant could have pulled his team from the court but that would have been on Dayton i.e. Dayton forfeits.  TRhe games ends there in a 71 to 57 SLU victory.  That's how I see it.

I agree with what you are saying but I do believe that the refs can forfeit the game against the home team if the fans are too out of control.  I agree that is not what happened here so all this talk of disqualification is really an exercise of silliness.  Best just to move on and get ready for the next game.

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Well, of course no one knows how the Dayton player asked Jett to give him the ball. Let's say that he used offensive language asking for the ball. If that was the case, I think Jett would have returned the insult back, rather than the ball. Again, this is just an opinion, no one knows what was said. Don't ask for tapes of this exchange unless you have them, what was said was said, but something made Jett not give the ball back right away to the Dayton player.

5 hours ago, dlarry said:

There have been plenty of fights during NCAA basketball games and the game is never “disqualified.”

Im ashamed of myself for even responding. This is just silly.

At one SLU - Oklahoma A & M game in the Missouri Valley in the 1950's, Hank Iba and Eddie Hickey got into a fist fight during the game.  The game played on.

14 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Thatch, Okoro, and Nesbitt in a fight would be similar to Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O’Neal, and Ron Artest.

Hargrove grew up in East St. Louis. I did not, but it's a safe assumption that you don't grow up in ESTL without knowing how to whoop some a$$. Thatch would be the undisputed NCAA Cruiserweight Champion because he's 6'3" 215# from Sikeston, MO where he grew up wrastlin wild hogs and on a diet of nothing but Busch Heavy and Lambert's Cafe. Okoro is a physical specimen, plain and simple. Nesbitt is batshit crazy and a freak athlete who also grew up in the former murder capital of the nation.   

I would go to war with those four guys. 

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Wait.  Barstool is trash?  I thought Jimerson had some sort of NIL deal with Barstool, no?

Barstool is polarizing because they're unfiltered and real...and the founder and president is unhinged in the way that anyone who likes Barstool loves and vice versa. I think they're awesome. 

Fraz likes this

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

Barstool is polarizing because they're unfiltered and real...and the founder and president is unhinged in the way that anyone who likes Barstool loves and vice versa. I think they're awesome. 

I'm indifferent. Some people I love, some I hate. They are untraditional in the media world, I do enjoy that. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'm indifferent. Some people I love, some I hate. They are untraditional in the media world, I do enjoy that. 

That's what I believe to be the main cause of most of the hatred - they don't follow the rules. That's also what I believe to be the main cause of most of the support.  

wgstl likes this

45 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I feel you on this. I like some content(the Dozen trivia, Twisted History, The Yak, Spittin Chiclets, Pardon My Take). But there’s a lot of other stuff that doesn’t resonate) It may be unfiltered but it’s as real as any other “reality” tv show. It’s more like pro wrestling with over the top personalities. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-should The U have issued, or issue, a statement as to what Janet discussed with Jordair and why it appears he was moved from that seat? was JJ being moved in response to a "request" from Coach Grant? 

No.  It's over, move on.  Didn't change the score of the game.