Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
3star_recruit

Jacobs role this year

Recommended Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Thatch sat out so that Jacobs could get major minutes in the Billiken Madness exhibition.  They are like brothers.  If nothing else, hitting a 3 and getting a couple of dunks in front a crowd was good for his confidence.

What kind of minutes do you see Jacobs getting this year? I think his best chance of getting on the floor is outperforming Weaver.  The  only thing that Weaver has demonstrated that he does better than Jacobs is hit threes.  If Jacobs can be a 33% shooter from three, I think he has more upside on every other category than Weaver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Thatch sat out the exhibition so that Jacobs could get major minutes in the Billiken Madness exhibition.  They are like brothers.  If nothing else, hitting a 3 and getting a couple of dunks in front a crowd was good for his confidence.

What kind of minutes do you see Jacobs getting this year? I think his best chance of getting on the floor is outperforming Weaver.  The  only thing that Weaver has demonstrated that he does better than Jacobs is hit threes.  If Jacobs can be a 33% shooter from three, I think he has more upside on every other category than Weaver.

ford loves how active weaver is guarding the ball.  No clue what kind of defender jacobs is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Thatch sat out the exhibition so that Jacobs could get major minutes in the Billiken Madness exhibition.  They are like brothers.  If nothing else, hitting a 3 and getting a couple of dunks in front a crowd was good for his confidence.

What kind of minutes do you see Jacobs getting this year? I think his best chance of getting on the floor is outperforming Weaver.  The  only thing that Weaver has demonstrated that he does better than Jacobs is hit threes.  If Jacobs can be a 33% shooter from three, I think he has more upside on every other category than Weaver.

Not attending practice I certainly have no clue how capable Jacobs is, but based on last season that (outperforming a guy like Weaver) would require a significant jump from the kid. On paper I think Weaver fits what we need with his ability to defend the point, function as a secondary ball handler, and hit 3s at a decent clip, things none of us have seen from Jacobs to this point.

With Jacobs I could see it coming down to whether Ford and the coaching staff truly are committed to playing up tempo and going 10-11 deep or whatever number has been thrown out. Certainly a big season for him, but at this point I have no expectations since I really didn't see enough from him last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

ford loves how active weaver is guarding the ball.  No clue what kind of defender jacobs is. 

My thinking as well. Defense will determine his minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO it's probably going to depend on what position they put Weaver at. If they make Weaver the backup pg, then I think Jacobs will get minutes at the 2 spot. If they make Weaver the backup 2 and make Yuri the backup 1, then I think Jacobs would have to either beat out Weaver or might be the odd man out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Thatch sat out so that Jacobs could get major minutes in the Billiken Madness exhibition.  They are like brothers.  If nothing else, hitting a 3 and getting a couple of dunks in front a crowd was good for his confidence.

What kind of minutes do you see Jacobs getting this year? I think his best chance of getting on the floor is outperforming Weaver.  The  only thing that Weaver has demonstrated that he does better than Jacobs is hit threes.  If Jacobs can be a 33% shooter from three, I think he has more upside on every other category than Weaver.

Coach Ford did mention the other night that they want the team to run more this year. If this ends up being the case, I would think being out in the open floor more will definitely grow Jacobs' role with the team as he can utilize his athleticism and ability to finish at the rim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like there will be some tough decisions to make.  I think it depends on Hankton and Bell.  Goodwin, Thatch and French will probably get a lot of minutes at their respective positions.  If Hankton and Bell can play double figure mins at the 4/5 with French moving between the 4 and 5 depending on who's out there with him....mins will be hard to come by for wing players,  especially with Goodwin and Thatch getting the majority of the minutes.  That would leave Weaver, Yuri, Jacobs, Perkins, Hargrove and Jimerson competing for wing mins.  Even if you slide Perkins or Hargrove to the 4 you still have 7 players to fill three wing positions.  With Goodwin and Thatch probably getting 25-30 mins a game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coaches always say they want to play up tempo ...... I call that whoseyerdouche.  Kind of like coach speak.  But this year may play out differently.  We certainly do have th ehorses to run --- Goodwin, Thatch, Hargraves, Collins, Perkins, Jacobs, Jimmmmerson, Weaver.  The problem to me lies in something someone said elsewhere, namely that when we ran last year, it was a disaster.  And I blame that on the fact that we had no point guard, no ballhandler capable of spacing the floor, hitting the open man, pulling up as needed, and so on.  Runnign a fast break is an art .. from the outlet pass, to the wing, to the center court, to pulling up at the foul line (or continuing) to having the wings fill in and fan out appropriately and so on,  Maybe this works with Collins and Weaver and Jacobs ... it did not work with Goodwin noir Thatch nor Isabell because they were all finishers and needed the ball to do so.  So while having numbers allows for more full court pressure, it still does not mean a fastbreak attack is imminent. 

Nobody really knows what Hankton and Jacobs can do and won't for some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

 The problem to me lies in something someone said elsewhere, namely that when we ran last year, it was a disaster.  And I blame that on the fact that we had no point guard, no ballhandler capable of spacing the floor, hitting the open man, pulling up as needed, and so on.   

.

Well, we got one this year, Yurimania! Get on the train, Taj Mahal 79. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minutes heading into A-10 play: (based on MBM discussions and Billikens Madness only)

5---HF-25; JB-10; MD-5

4---JP-20; TH Jr. -10; KCH- 10

3---GJ-15; FT Jr - 15; JP- 5; TH Jr - 5

2---JG-15;  DJ - 10; TW - 10; FT Jr - 5

1---JG - 15; YC - 15; TW - 5; DJ - 5;

 

JG 30;   HF 25;   JP 25;   FT Jr 20;   GJ 15;   TH Jr 15;   DJ 15;   TW 15;   YC 15;   KCH 10;   JB 10;   MD -5

I have French at only 25 due to his need for breathers/foul trouble/ and need to be off the floor late in games due to  his foul shooting.

This assumes a fast pace game on both ends of the court with 11 getting meaningful minutes and MD filling in at the post as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

 

Like all of the frosh and Perkins and Weaver he is drinking from a fire hose with so many different defenses to learn. He hustles, gives good effort and is reasonably quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bauman said:

Minutes heading into A-10 play: (based on MBM discussions and Billikens Madness only)

JG 30;   HF 25; 

LOL

I'll take the over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bauman said:

Minutes heading into A-10 play: (based on MBM discussions and Billikens Madness only)

5---HF-25; JB-10; MD-5

4---JP-20; TH Jr. -10; KCH- 10

3---GJ-15; FT Jr - 15; JP- 5; TH Jr - 5

2---JG-15;  DJ - 10; TW - 10; FT Jr - 5

1---JG - 15; YC - 15; TW - 5; DJ - 5;

 

JG 30;   HF 25;   JP 25;   FT Jr 20;   GJ 15;   TH Jr 15;   DJ 15;   TW 15;   YC 15;   KCH 10;   JB 10;   MD -5

I have French at only 25 due to his need for breathers/foul trouble/ and need to be off the floor late in games due to  his foul shooting.

This assumes a fast pace game on both ends of the court with 11 getting meaningful minutes and MD filling in at the post as needed.

Yes, now is the time for everyone's guesstimations on playing time.  Yes, it's fun.

For me, the only givens are Goodwin and French playing as many minutes as possible (30+) and Thatch playing a bunch. You keep your leaders on the floor.   After that, minutes will be earned in practice and games for all others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-thanks Billikenswin, great info, look forward to your next report from practice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Coaches always say they want to play up tempo ...... I call that whoseyerdouche.  Kind of like coach speak.  But this year may play out differently.  We certainly do have th ehorses to run --- Goodwin, Thatch, Hargraves, Collins, Perkins, Jacobs, Jimmmmerson, Weaver.  The problem to me lies in something someone said elsewhere, namely that when we ran last year, it was a disaster.  And I blame that on the fact that we had no point guard, no ballhandler capable of spacing the floor, hitting the open man, pulling up as needed, and so on.  Runnign a fast break is an art .. from the outlet pass, to the wing, to the center court, to pulling up at the foul line (or continuing) to having the wings fill in and fan out appropriately and so on,  Maybe this works with Collins and Weaver and Jacobs ... it did not work with Goodwin noir Thatch nor Isabell because they were all finishers and needed the ball to do so.  So while having numbers allows for more full court pressure, it still does not mean a fastbreak attack is imminent. 

Nobody really knows what Hankton and Jacobs can do and won't for some time.

Taj. I can only agree with half of what you say. Yes they were moments last year when our fast break led by Goodwin was a disaster. But there were also moments when the fast break lead by Goodwin clicked and did work. Did Goodwin remind me of Magic Johnson running the fast break with this Lakers teams from the 80’s?   No.  Then again, Thatch, Isbell and Bess also didn’t remind me of Michael Cooper, Byron Scott and James Worthy. Who was Goodwin supposed to pass to?  Who called for the ball on the perimeter, took the shot and made it? I recall Thatch not wanting to shoot much at all. I recall Isbell not finishing.  I recall Goodwin trying too hard and doing too much  

PGs sure look better when their teammates finish - but  we did finish down the stretch and in the A10 Tournament, we were a completely different team and ran up-tempo during the A10 tournament - especially with only 6 guys.

In fact, I don’t recall anyone posting that Goodwin and our team looked like a “disaster” during the A10 tournament.  And I don’t remember us winning 4 games in row with methodical, slow down offenses using up the full shot clock. Seem to recall large portions of last year not only when we were good - but also when iur PG (Goodwin) was good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, clock, thanks for the 50% agreement.  Above, you describe folks in terms of Magic, Cooper, Scott and Worthy.  I describe them as no point guard, no ballhandler, no spacing, no open man and no pulling up.  Those are the exact same things in my book.  My point was that fastbreak basketball just doesn't happen, it has to be practicing and preached and incorporated into the game plan.  We did not do that because we did not have the right pieces and our break worked on rare occasions.  So I think we agree there.

My big disagreement with you is then when you say we looked good in the A10 tournament and then you turn my words around over disaster.  Yes, we did, we won.  But was it because of fast break basketball?  My words said we were a disaster when we tried to run.  Disagree?  Not based on your words above.  I never said we were a disaster in the A10 tournament -- I said our running game was a disaster when we attempted it.    And forgive me but I do not recall us running our way to four wins in Brooklyn.  We beat Richmond by what a bucket and ditto the Bonnies.  We blew Dayton and Davidson out but that was more predicated on tough defense not running folks out of the gym.  We played with essentially six guys in four nights so I recall no real running at all.  A week in Brooklyn sure erases a lot of woes that last season included and I'm fine with that. 

Yes there were nights last year when we were good and Goodwin, Bess, Isabell and others were good.  Let's erase those four games in Brooklyn -- how then do you define last season.  Me?  One with huge promises that were never fulfilled …… UNTIL Brooklyn. 

Let me jump into the cess part of this pool and remind all of one of my parting statements last year -- Jordan Goodwin needs a lot of work.  I love the kid's grit and determination.  I love his leadership.  I love his defensive tenacity.  I love his offensive rebounding.  His shooting percentages … where the money game is played ….. well, here comes 2019-2020.  And I'll agree with you in that with better personnel and better finishers, he'll distribute better and have an increase in his assist totals.  Those are the hard things to come by supposedly.  I think if we do indeed run more, that will paly to his strengths.  But if we are going to  be a walk-it-up, run a 10-secodn three-man weave kind of team, then improvements will be hard to see.  Frankly, the same areas of improvement are needed from French and Thatch (the guy you said doesn't want to shoot much at all) if team improvement is to be expected and these are our returning 'Big Three.'  Lots of unknowns with thi steam going forward.

That's why Ocotber can't end soon enough and we see what the product is come next month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

JImerson leads the way--the best freshman shooter I have ever seen on the Billikens in practice. 

Better than Lisch?

And re: the above A-10 tournament chatter.. that was a hard carry by Isabell and Bess throughout, up until the final where Isabell was off (and Goodwin might've had his best game). Totally on Team Taj there. Would be great if Jimerson could replace some of that instant offense we're always desperate for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

Better than Lisch?

And re: the above A-10 tournament chatter.. that was a hard carry by Isabell and Bess throughout, up until the final where Isabell was off (and Goodwin might've had his best game). Totally on Team Taj there. Would be great if Jimerson could replace some of that instant offense we're always desperate for. 

i am the biggest lisch fan in the world, but i am here to tell you  kevin lisch never shot 50% from the 3 point line.   jimmmerson is going to shoot 50%+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am the biggest lisch fan in the world, but i am here to tell you  kevin lisch never shot 50% from the 3 point line.   jimmmerson is going to shoot 50%+.

Lol. Sounds great to me! I can't remember that last recruited (or transfer) "shooter" that didn't disappoint tbh, outside of Cody Ellis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am the biggest lisch fan in the world, but i am here to tell you  kevin lisch never shot 50% from the 3 point line.   jimmmerson is going to shoot 50%+.

Is it OK if he just shoots 45%+? Can we be happy with that? I don't know if JJ Redick made 50% from three for his career but putting expectations on Jimerson to exceed that seems excessive at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my world what is important and meaningful in sports is winning. I will fully agree that there are always things that do not work, or do not work other than occasionally. As long as we win I am happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Is it OK if he just shoots 45%+? Can we be happy with that? I don't know if JJ Redick made 50% from three for his career but putting expectations on Jimerson to exceed that seems excessive at this point.

...especially in light of the 3 pt. arc being moved this year.  I'm pretty pumped about the entire recruiting class TF and staff have put together for this year, but I'm most excited about Jimmmerson.  I would be thrilled with 45%+ from him, and even more so if KCH, Jacobs and Perkins can be in the 40% area.  (See Billikenswin's practice report, above)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i am the biggest lisch fan in the world, but i am here to tell you  kevin lisch never shot 50% from the 3 point line.   jimmmerson is going to shoot 50%+.

I do think Jimerson will be the best shooter the Billikens have had in recent history. However, I do not think he will shoot over 50%. Remember the 3 point line will be moving back this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...