Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
3star_recruit

Jacobs role this year

Recommended Posts

If he hits 45% from 3 first 20 attempts he should play at least 30 mpg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, almaman said:

If he hits 45% from 3 first 20 attempts he should play at least 30 mpg.

I know we are dealing with a very small sample size (Billiken Madness when little to no defense was played) but Jimerson's shooting, and TF's comments about him, make me think of the Spoon/Scott H. story when Spoon told Scott he would play as long as he outscored the guy he was playing against.

 I know there have been some stats cited in this thread and without repeating them, it seems like every 40%+,  3 pt shooter who has ever worn a Billiken uniform has also played 30+ minutes a game, with the possible exception of M Barkley.  45% by GJ puts him in the Roland Gray territory, in which only RG resides.

(Edit)  I guess we have moved pretty far from the title of this thread, but Jacobs' role is certainly impacted by the level of Jimmmmerson's shooting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to the original post, Jacob’s role this year is to develop his skills so he is better than Weaver across the board, and represents the second best Pass first PG, after Yuri.

As far as Jimmmerson goes starting off the season, I project him being the microwave instant O ingredient. If we are not solving a zone, or we are going up against a team of shooters, stick him in for three or four offensive possessions with the green light on.

if he starts hitting, ride him as long as he is on the plus margin. Expecting 30 minutes is ridiculous, but a shooter of his ilk has no problem fitting 6-15 pts in 10 to 20 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Going back to the original post, Jacob’s role this year is to develop his skills so he is better than Weaver across the board, and represents the second best Pass first PG, after Yuri.

I think this board is going to be pleasantly surprised by Jacobs this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope so, because otherwise he is overrecruited already for next year.

Players will realize they need to make quantum leaps in skill level to first gain, and then maintain playing time. Develop bridge players, improve depth, and suddenly we are dancing every year, and not just twice a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

I hope so, because otherwise he is overrecruited already for next year.

Players will realize they need to make quantum leaps in skill level to first gain, and then maintain playing time. Develop bridge players, improve depth, and suddenly we are dancing every year, and not just twice a decade.

Jacobs is an interesting athlete.  He's a high-flyer but not a speed merchant or particularly strong so I question how effective he can be at getting to the basket in the halfcourt.  His offensive game revolves around his ability to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jacobs is an interesting athlete.  He's a high-flyer but not a speed merchant or particularly strong so I question how effective he can be at getting to the basket in the halfcourt.  His offensive game revolves around his ability to do that.

It was only the scrimmage but I was so impressed with Jacobs. Last year he looked scared of his shadow with the ball. Hopefully the confidence from the scrimmage carries over (and he stays healthy). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

I hope so, because otherwise he is overrecruited already for next year.

Players will realize they need to make quantum leaps in skill level to first gain, and then maintain playing time. Develop bridge players, improve depth, and suddenly we are dancing every year, and not just twice a decade.

Jacobs being made a point guard is far more awkward than goodwin as a point guard.   Jacobs is far better as the receiver of alley opps than the passer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying you are wrong but how do you know. We haven't seen enough to make a judgement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, willie said:

Not saying you are wrong but how do you know. We haven't seen enough to make a judgement. 

He was extremely Awkward trying to play pg last year.  He is obviously a natural high flying wing though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Jacobs being made a point guard is far more awkward than goodwin as a point guard.   Jacobs is far better as the receiver of alley opps than the passer

Jacobs has a better chance of making an impact being defended by point guards and defending point guards than he does at any other position. He may have put on enough muscle to power his way past the smallish point guards we have in the A-10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy, at combo/shooting guard, I see Jacobs behind Goodwin, Thatch, Hankton, Jimmmmerson, and Perkins. As we will have all of the above rolling to guard a forward on D many times, Jacobs could spell at combo guard.

if, IF he picks up PG skills, he is in the mix in a three man mix with Yuri and Goodwin.

Being the sixth man in a six man rotation means few minutes. Being the lightest, smallest and perhaps the least physical of the six also curtails pt.

Even with the obligatory injury to a guard, he would hit at the fifth man   If he has not made amazing strides.

When Strickland arrives next year, he comes with a larger skills package and Jacobs will be even more buried on the bench.

The short road to playing time is seriously developing PG skills, so he is in the pod with Yuri and Goodwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Roy, at combo/shooting guard, I see Jacobs behind Goodwin, Thatch, Hankton, Jimmmmerson, and Perkins. As we will have all of the above rolling to guard a forward on D many times, Jacobs could spell at combo guard.

if, IF he picks up PG skills, he is in the mix in a three man mix with Yuri and Goodwin.

Being the sixth man in a six man rotation means few minutes. Being the lightest, smallest and perhaps the least physical of the six also curtails pt.

Even with the obligatory injury to a guard, he would hit at the fifth man   If he has not made amazing strides.

When Strickland arrives next year, he comes with a larger skills package and Jacobs will be even more buried on the bench.

The short road to playing time is seriously developing PG skills, so he is in the pod with Yuri and Goodwin.

Lol I don't think Hankton will play any 3 this year, let alone a 2 or a combo.

We're REALLY selling Jacobs short lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've stayed out of this because of my bias, justified I might add, for Yurimania. I agree w/ B'roy that Jacobs looked lost or scared last year in the half court offense. He was making telegraphed weak passes that would send shivers up your spine. And he didn't show anything special in trying to get to the rim. I'll grant him he was injured and the body of work was limited. 

I watched the stream but because of the replays didn't learn much about him. I gather he hit some 3s which is definitely a plus. From his videos at prep school he appears to be a good finisher on breaks. If we are going to run, then I guess his role would be a pass to guy on a break. He did look pretty fast on those type of plays and he finished. 

I don't see him as a PG on breaks but rather as an option to receive a pass and finish. Maybe even with a 3 if his shot's that good. <= 10 mpg. 

And not to beat the Yurimania drum too much, in that scrimmage I did see him make little passes that good PG's make. One to Jimerson stood out where he looked like he was going to try and penetrate but just gave a little back flip no look pass to Jimerson leaving him wide open for BANG an uncontested 3. That's a PG move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to put Weaver in the mix.

I have little problem putting Thatch and Goodwin ahead of Jacobs. They are starters. Perkins is a top juco scorer, so he is going to get scorer’s minutes. Weaver is brought in to be a backup PG, and give Collins everything he can handle in practice. 

Hankton won us a couple games last year, hit some 3 pointers, grabbed some good boards, and popped decent for an unadvertised freshman.

Jimerson is an advertised deadly shooter, and I’m sure Ford has his minutes calibrated already, as he is  a classic Highmark package with a little more athleticism.

Collins(I think) is going to get a lot of minutes early, as Ford needs to find out what situations Yuri can shine in. The more Yuri shines, the more minutes he will get. Rather than pounding the ball in the paint as we tried early last year with French/Gordon, I expect we will see a fair amount of four out/French in, with a flex where Goodwin or Perkins does the offside switch for posting the small guard/fwd in the paint.

Jacobs happens to be the small guard in what amounts to be a 1 in/4 out offense that thrives on large mobile guards.

i would be ecstatic to be dead wrong on him, and I hope he pops when he is given time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Going back to the original post, Jacob’s role this year is to develop his skills so he is better than Weaver across the board, and represents the second best Pass first PG, after Yuri.

We need shooters.  If Jacobs makes his shots - he plays.  Pass first PG?   I care more about good PGs than pass first PGs.

And if Jacobs shoots better than Thatch,  more time there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thatch is a superb defender that does not appear (or did not appear last year) to be comfortable shooting. On the other hand Jacobs is a better shooter but a so so defender. The coach will have to decide what kind of skill he needs most in any specific situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know people like to talk about this stuff and the board is the place to do it.  What I have learned is that a player as a Sophomore is different then as a Freshman.  Sometimes they make big strides and sometimes they don't.  I did not see enough of Jacobs to know what to expect from him this year.  At this point, I plan to simply watch how things unfold.  Ford recruited these guys with a plan - I would hope - for each one of them so I am content to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Guys.  I think I'm getting Yurimania a little bit.  No reason, I just feel a little funny when I think about him.  Like a little crazy.  Like maybe I've got Yurimania...

Another member of the movement! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Old guy said:

Thatch is a superb defender that does not appear (or did not appear last year) to be comfortable shooting. On the other hand Jacobs is a better shooter but a so so defender. The coach will have to decide what kind of skill he needs most in any specific situation.

 True statement about Fred Thatch and his defense. At the same time we will need scoring and outside shooting and if Goodwin and/or Yuri run the point and do not provide the outside shooting, then we may not have the luxury of having another role player. As the old guy mentions, I have not seen enough of Jacobs to make a prediction. I am expecting improvement from both Jacobs and Thatch -  But I caution against the anointment of Fred Thatch as our offensive leader and part of “the big three”.  I sure hope so but I will wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford has anointed Thatch as a member of the big three.

As always, the season will unfold, but forums exist for discussions. I’m just glad we have a coach who is starting to stack classes, has moved us up to recruiting our share of 3 and four star players, and has us talking about bench players being able to kick out the jams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Thatch, didn't he average like 26 ppg in HS? I don't know where the bulk of his points came from, and it is HS after all where a 6'3" can dominate a lot of smaller and weaker defenders. Still, some of that has to translate to the D1 level. I think Thatch realized last year his way to earn minutes was on D since we thought we had enough scorers w/ Bess, Isabell, and JGood, so he deferred to his elders. Now, this season he's got to provide some scoring in addition to being our D stopper against our opponents high scoring guards and wings, e.g. guys like Gudmundson and Powell. In effect, he's got to channel his inner Bess. Here's hoping he can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slu72 said:

As for Thatch, didn't he average like 26 ppg in HS? I don't know where the bulk of his points came from, and it is HS after all where a 6'3" can dominate a lot of smaller and weaker defenders. Still, some of that has to translate to the D1 level. I think Thatch realized last year his way to earn minutes was on D since we thought we had enough scorers w/ Bess, Isabell, and JGood, so he deferred to his elders. Now, this season he's got to provide some scoring in addition to being our D stopper against our opponents high scoring guards and wings, e.g. guys like Gudmundson and Powell. In effect, he's got to channel his inner Bess. Here's hoping he can. 

For the first two years of high school, Thatch played like a power forward. For the last two years of high school, he played mostly small forward but was a legitimate scorer at all three levels. He was often responsible for guarding the other team's best player or power forward. He was the defensive stopper on the Beal Elite 17u squad, and wasn't called upon to shoot the ball much.

The role Thatch played last year was very similar to the one he played for BBE. This year, there will be more opportunity for Thatch to be the all-around offensive player he became in high school, especially now that we're playing a more uptempo style that resembles the style they played at Sikeston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...