Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

14 year NBA career, 4 x All Star. 2 x All NBA. Call it what you want. 

I’m not sure what your point is. I said he’s more well known (at least by people in my generation from what I can gather) than players who had a greater body of work than he did.

With respect to those stats, they could use a bit of context. 4 all-stars in 4 years before injuries derailed his career. 2 of those years he was first-team all NBA. This is all just my perspective though. I’m sure other NBA fans may feel differently.

1 minute ago, NH said:

I’m not sure what your point is. I said he’s more well known (at least by people in my generation from what I can gather) than players who had a greater body of work than he did.

With respect to those stats, they could use a bit of context. 4 all-stars in 4 years before injuries derailed his career. 2 of those years he was first-team all NBA. This is all just my perspective though. I’m sure other NBA fans may feel differently.

Right. He was on a HOF trajectory before he wrecked his knee in his 5th season. Was never remotely the same 

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

An icon?  Because of Lil Penny?  Okay —— if you day so.  Seems pretty cheap of  a way to be an icon if you ask me.

I can’t wait to see just how well he “coaches” and “develops talent.”  Than I’ll be convinced.  

Nobody is trying to “convince” you of anything. I just think that recruits are well aware of who Penny Hardaway is. I’m not saying he’s a great coach, or a good mentor, or anything like that. I have no clue and don’t really care to find out.

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/memphis-hardaway-lock-down-commitment-of-four-star-jordan-nesbitt

This story paints the recruitment as a 2 horse race.  That is the reason I hate these "Top X" scenarios.

Kern would be a strong add here to what is a very nice talent base. 

If you believe the linked story, then Frank's sources need never to be relied upon again.

And for those of you who are thinking that Nesbitt will want to transfer back to SLU in a year or two, forget it.  Penny told him he will be in the NBA the year after next, so that must be true.   

Reading Nesbitt's quotes about the one and done sales pitch that sold him on Memphis, I have a bridge that I would like to talk to him about!    A recruit ranked in the 40-60 range as a one and done?  I don't think so.  He's a long way off from being a Beal, Tatum or Hughes.  I want Memphis on the schedule next year.

Edited by bauman
JettFlight5 likes this

1 hour ago, Billiken4life5 said:

Agree and disagree with this.  What makes JG so special is his motor and how relentless he is.  Nesbitt has been the opposite up to this point in his career.  Talented as hell but doesn't play half as hard.  Now maybe he just hasn't ran into the right coach to get him going (Like Jordan and Travis).  His ceiling is higher than JG if he ever puts it all together but he wasn't going to walk in on day 1 and change the culture with his work ethic like JG did. 

goodwin has always been the hardest working kid on the floor.   ford didnt cultivate that.    in high school he played defense end to end and he was already then the most relentless rebounder i have ever seen.   

TheChosenOne and Zink like this

29 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Do you know "Grand Mama" and those commercials? (Larry Johnson)

Favorite NBA player growing up. Wore this t shirt every day to WashU basketball camp:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQk9UP996vkMyWpDh6VHjBcvZy0VRBr23MWU9DhwxMou8RadwpHdKeBfFWrnt28vYPr1w4rgqoE&usqp=CAc

33 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Travis will roll with the punches and come up with someone else. It’s been a long time since we could have that kind of confidence in our coaches recruiting ability.

No one seems to be worried about our 2021 recruiting class and while I'm obviously hoping it turns out to be a strong one for us, @NH's earlier comments ("...we're now in October and we don't seem like we have any players close to committing") have been on my mind the past few weeks. Love the Okoro signing, love our current roster, and the players we have coming in this season,  but still a little worried about replenishing the cupboards. We are losing a lot of manpower after this season. I'm sure we will pick up a "late bloomer" in the spring and a grad transfer in the summer but does that really move the needle?

SLU_Lax likes this

19 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

No one seems to be worried about our 2021 recruiting class and while I'm obviously hoping it turns out to be a strong one for us, @NH's earlier comments ("...we're now in October and we don't seem like we have any players close to committing") have been on my mind the past few weeks. Love the Okoro signing, love our current roster, and the players we have coming in this season,  but still a little worried about replenishing the cupboards. We are losing a lot of manpower after this season. I'm sure we will pick up a "late bloomer" in the spring and a grad transfer in the summer but does that really move the needle?

Last year at this time where were we. Strickland only right?

It'll be fine, but obviously we'd all feel a lot better if Kern were to come aboard. 

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Favorite NBA player growing up. Wore this t shirt every day to WashU basketball camp:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQk9UP996vkMyWpDh6VHjBcvZy0VRBr23MWU9DhwxMou8RadwpHdKeBfFWrnt28vYPr1w4rgqoE&usqp=CAc

Considering they will be joining juniors Yuri, Thatch, Hargrove, Okoro and Bell and a sophomore JImerson -- yes.   Unlike our A10 counterparts, when our seniors graduate, we will have proven players ready to take over.

I’m not going to pretend that I’m not disappointed, because I am. That disappointment is multiplied because Nesbitt is a local kid. But I’m also excited to see in what direction the 2021 SLU recruiting class turns now. Obviously, Kern would be a good get. But I have no doubt there are some really good kids who may not be on our radar that certainly ARE on the radar of our staff. How many of us had ever heard of Andre Lorentsson a month before he committed to SLU? In times like this, I think of a line in the movie Miracle where Herb Brooks (played by Kurt Russell, I have no idea if Herb Brooks really ever said this). “I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right ones.” I have faith that Coach Ford and staff. Go Billikens.

BuiltFordBills likes this

Damn!  I’m disappointed.  And that latest article posted is really confusing in that it doesn’t even mention SLU.  Oh well.. there are more fish in the sea...  guess I’ll just have to focus on the a$$ kicking the current roster is going to put on the rest of the league this year!

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Well, the article states Penny told him he could be one and done. That had to be a big reason. What’s confusing Is it came down to  UI and Messphis. All the gurus had us in the lead two weeks ago. We didn’t even get a nod. Get Kern and move on time. I’m not worried about Travis’ recruiting. 
As for the NBA star as college HC I can’t think of one that’s done all that well except for Grant at SVU. Ewing at GU has not set the world on fire and neither has Penny. 

I don't think the consensus is he's even a slight lean towards being a one and done, The consensus is there are about 45-50 players in his class better than him. I'm not saying he can't be but telling a kid he could be when absolutely no one else but his mother thinks he can be ... In the long run those words will start to appear pretty shallow. If you're going to make that statement consistently (and I'm betting he does) you'd better be able to make it come true more often than not. 

I like this line and I'm paraphrasing ..  Penny  didn't tell me I'd start right away like other coaches, He kept it real. He said if I work hard I'm one and done. Sorry but I won't be sad to see this kid get a dose of reality. 

A few weeks ago he was going to Illinois. Where did Rivals and everyone else get the idea it was SLU? 

Fan Guy thinks that at some point the NCAA is going to make an example out of Memphis because He really feels like there isn’t any another serious way Penny keeps landing all these higher level recruits and it already kind of happened with Wisemen.

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

A few weeks ago he was going to Illinois. Where did Rivals and everyone else get the idea it was SLU? 

I have zero insider knowledge, but based on how quickly he seemed to change his mind from Illinois to Memphis, it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened with him changing his mind from SLU to Illinois. I have never seen a recruitment sound so positive towards coming to SLU before not materializing as this one. I think he must have given the coaching staff some indication he was coming to SLU, before changing a change of heart. 

kshoe reminds us of a puzzle piece that seems to have been forgotten in strickland.    seems like he was touted as an extremely good athlete (like nesbitt) and i wouldnt be surprised if he steps in just fine for goodwin in 2021.   it isnt like the cupboard is bare.  

the way this thing swung in just a month really leaves a bad taste.  goodbye nesbitt.  we hardly knew ya.  might be the best thing that never happened.  

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I don't think the consensus is he's even a slight lean towards being a one and done, The consensus is there are about 45-50 players in his class better than him. I'm not saying he can't be but telling a kid he could be when absolutely no one else but his mother thinks he can be ... In the long run those words will start to appear pretty shallow. If you're going to make that statement consistently (and I'm betting he does) you'd better be able to make it come true more often than not. 

I like this line and I'm paraphrasing ..  Penny  didn't tell me I'd start right away like other coaches, He kept it real. He said if I work hard I'm one and done. Sorry but I won't be sad to see this kid get a dose of reality. 

-I agree on all of this, Penny "keeping it real..." could turn out to be a line for the ages along with Debbie saying she didn't do Dallas when clearly she did

-great question, now all of us on here have our own degree of our lives being defined by 18-22 year old kids, but imagine where the recruitment of these kids determines how you put food on the table

3 hours ago, NH said:

You're welcome to take this viewpoint if you want, but I can promise you that recruits are not going to think like this so you should prepare to continue being disappointed. Memphis does offer one thing that SLU (and Illinois) don't offer and that is playing for a coach who was a generational talent in the NBA. My guess is that is likely why they won this recruitment.

Like I said, I think SLU would've been a better choice. But I also can see why someone would want to play for Penny.

Being black has to be a factor too. if I was black that would be a huge factor for me.

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Two things:

First, you better get used to the top X scenarios, because 99% of recruits do it.

Second, Nesbitt's explanation for his decision shows how fickle the recruiting process can be. Nesbitt claims Penny kept it real by telling him he can be one-and-done. That sounds EXACTLY like telling the player what he wanted to hear. I wish the best of luck to him. He's a hell of a player. 

You are not wrong, but I don’t have to like it :)

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Damn!  I’m disappointed.  And that latest article posted is really confusing in that it doesn’t even mention SLU.  Oh well.. there are more fish in the sea...  guess I’ll just have to focus on the a$$ kicking the current roster is going to put on the rest of the league this year!

Maybe Memphis thought mentioning SLU would downgrade the pick up.  After all we are not a P5 school so by saying IL it makes it look like they stole one from a P5.

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

All I really got out of the article was Penny’s call from The golf cart really impressed him. Doesn’t he know SLU has all kinds of golf carts?