Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If you think about it, recruiting athletes is, to a fair degree, an exercise in marketing. A lot depends upon finding the sweet spot that will get the deal done. There is nothing secure until the player commits. Then again players who are committed to go to a given school may be poached. It all depends on finding that sweet spot that closes the deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I think that it was the Memphis produced article that alluded to us coming in 3rd.  Not sure that Nesbitt specifically said that.

I generally feel that kids don't always know what they are saying or how it could be interpreted or twisted, but this seems pretty clear to me that he  did say we were third. Personally, I don't give a crap if we were 2nd, 3rd or whatever. If you aren't first it doesn't matter in recruiting. I'd have rather been Mizzou in this one and not even bothered with the effort.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/memphis-hardaway-lock-down-commitment-of-four-star-jordan-nesbitt

Nesbitt will tell you point-blank that he was headed to Illinois as recently as a few weeks back. His story is the product of a late change of heart. It’s also the product of an incredible recruiting effort by Hardaway.

"At first, I was really, really, really going to Illinois," Nesbitt said. "I really was. My mind was pretty much made up. Then, one day, Coach Penny was at, like, a golf tournament, and heard that I was going to Illinois. He literally called me from the golf cart. He stopped playing to call me. We had a great talk. After that, I just kind of fell in love. If a guy is doing that for me, I can't give that up.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I generally feel that kids don't always know what they are saying or how it could be interpreted or twisted, but this seems pretty clear to me that he  did say we were third. Personally, I don't give a crap if we were 2nd, 3rd or whatever. If you aren't first it doesn't matter in recruiting. I'd have rather been Mizzou in this one and not even bothered with the effort.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/memphis-hardaway-lock-down-commitment-of-four-star-jordan-nesbitt

Nesbitt will tell you point-blank that he was headed to Illinois as recently as a few weeks back. His story is the product of a late change of heart. It’s also the product of an incredible recruiting effort by Hardaway.

"At first, I was really, really, really going to Illinois," Nesbitt said. "I really was. My mind was pretty much made up. Then, one day, Coach Penny was at, like, a golf tournament, and heard that I was going to Illinois. He literally called me from the golf cart. He stopped playing to call me. We had a great talk. After that, I just kind of fell in love. If a guy is doing that for me, I can't give that up.”

-if only our coaches would have one-upped this, like calling from their horse during a polo match or sailboat during a regatta 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

With no insider knowledge whatsoever that is exactly my 1,000 foot read on what happened here.  Likely Nesbitt's HS coach (or a possibly a parent) pushed him toward Memphis after strong pitch from Penny.

I'm not sure Ford can totally close off recruiting St. Louis Christian, but I'd be much more wary of going hard after STLCA recruits after the way this played out.

I thought it was interesting that in one of the interviews the coach seemed to indicate SLU was doing ok given they had only first offered around summer 2019, but nothing was said about Memphis first offering just before he narrowed his choices to his top 10 thereby requiring him to change it to top 11. That indicated to me the coach didn’t think much of SLU, given he did not have a problem with the very late Memphis offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I thought it was interesting that in one of the interviews the coach seemed to indicate SLU was doing ok given they had only first offered around summer 2019, but nothing was said about Memphis first offering just before he narrowed his choices to his top 10 thereby requiring him to change it to top 11. That indicated to me the coach didn’t think much of SLU, given he did not have a problem with the very late Memphis offer.

Yep. You know which local programs to spend less time on when they start making up examples of how SLU didn’t do a good enough job recruiting their players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-if only our coaches would have one-upped this, like calling from their horse during a polo match or sailboat during a regatta 

Not sure that would have been enough. Should've shot the entire coaching staff up to the Space Station and had a video call from there. Next time I guess...

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no need to engage in any kind of extraordinary activy just to get recruit to sign, all they need to do is to whisper in their ear, in our team you will be a one and done. This is the message, as untrue as it may be, that will get kids like this one in. This is, I am fairly sure, what the Memphis coach did.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Memphis is currently over-committed by three scholarships and in the running for a five-star and four-star recruit listed as SGs just like Nesbitt.  They are chasing zero PGs but have two four-star recruits there as juniors.  They are also after a four-star power forward and four Cs all listed as three-star and above.  That will be a situation to watch come next year.  Something's got to give.

Now that Nesbitt is gone, where do we expect to go from here?  I keep hearing Nick Kern but very little after that.  Gassama is out there as are PFs Powell, Houston and Ajiboye.  Is Blackmon an option?  What's the feel?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the impressive billboard with 2 STL area natives featured, reminded me once again how it must be nice for local kids to get the well-deserved pub in their home areas.  Do you think you will ever see Nesbit, Fletcher, Kassubke among others on a billboard or in a feature article in the sorry Post-Disgrace or discussed on local radio or TV?  I don't think so. 

At least Fletcher will be going to a program that has success in the NCAA most years even if he is not one of their top recruits this year;  Luke K will just have to be content with being part of a bottom-dwelling B12 team as Nesbit plays for a team that will need to include name tags on practice uniforms as Penny over recruits his 13 scholarship limits every year.

Of course they were all too good for the local team which reps their city.  I wouldn't be shocked if all three of them were placing calls to TF w/in 2 years asking about transferring back to SLU.

Ok, I'm still bitter.  😡   No need for any of you to point that out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bauman said:

Seeing the impressive billboard with 2 STL area natives featured, reminded me once again how it must be nice for local kids to get the well-deserved pub in their home areas.  Do you think you will ever see Nesbit, Fletcher, Kassubke among others on a billboard or in a feature article in the sorry Post-Disgrace or discussed on local radio or TV?  I don't think so. 

At least Fletcher will be going to a program that has success in the NCAA most years even if he is not one of their top recruits this year;  Luke K will just have to be content with being part of a bottom-dwelling B12 team as Nesbit plays for a team that will need to include name tags on practice uniforms as Penny over recruits his 13 scholarship limits every year.

Of course they were all too good for the local team which reps their city.  I wouldn't be shocked if all three of them were placing calls to TF w/in 2 years asking about transferring back to SLU.

Ok, I'm still bitter.  😡   No need for any of you to point that out.

Agree with most of what you said @bauman, but just following Nesbitt’s Twitter and Instagram, he’s not worried about name tags at practice because he legitimately believes he’s a 1-and-done player. I’m NOT saying that I believe it. But he certainly does. I think Penny told Nesbitt exactly what he wanted to hear, and that’s why Nesbitt is going to Memphis. I honestly think it’s that simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With Messphis over committed and still going after kids who are being hotly pursued by other big time programs, it might not be long until the NCAA comes a knocking just to sniff around and see if everything's above board.. They had that Wiseman fiasco last year, and all it takes is one disgruntled HC who gets beat out by Penny to whisper in his AD's ear that he thinks something is rotten in Denmark/Messphis. I'd like to know why the gurus were so damn cocksure that Nesbitt would be wearing Billiken Blue only to find out we came limping home in 3rd place. Who are they allowed to speak to to get their inside dope? Are they allowed to talk to the kid? Or does it come from their AAU or HS coaches? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bauman said:

Seeing the impressive billboard with 2 STL area natives featured, reminded me once again how it must be nice for local kids to get the well-deserved pub in their home areas.  Do you think you will ever see Nesbit, Fletcher, Kassubke among others on a billboard or in a feature article in the sorry Post-Disgrace or discussed on local radio or TV?  I don't think so. 

At least Fletcher will be going to a program that has success in the NCAA most years even if he is not one of their top recruits this year;  Luke K will just have to be content with being part of a bottom-dwelling B12 team as Nesbit plays for a team that will need to include name tags on practice uniforms as Penny over recruits his 13 scholarship limits every year.

Of course they were all too good for the local team which reps their city.  I wouldn't be shocked if all three of them were placing calls to TF w/in 2 years asking about transferring back to SLU.

Ok, I'm still bitter.  😡   No need for any of you to point that out.

Okay to feel that way and if those young men think they can run to SLU and get on the roster anytime they want if things don’t work out that is wrong thinking.

Coach Ford is an excellent recruiter so the coach will get good players I want every local player that decides to play somewhere else to understand that a SLU scholarship is special and not a plan B scholarship.  SLU is way past plan B these days.

Since Nesbitt is not coming that means we get to watch a local recruit that wanted a SLU scholarship that will be as effective as Nesbitt and that is Hargrove.  I am anxious to see what Strickland can do anther player that wanted a SLU scholarship.

I want Kern and the DeSmet big and then give Russell the other scholarship.  You got to love Russell a local player paying to be part of the team.

Hang on Bauman you just need to watch SLU beat up some P5 teams and you will feel better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Okay to feel that way and if those young men think they can run to SLU and get on the roster anytime they want if things don’t work out that is wrong thinking.

Coach Ford is an excellent recruiter so the coach will get good players I want every local player that decides to play somewhere else to understand that a SLU scholarship is special and not a plan B scholarship.  SLU is way past plan B these days.

Since Nesbitt is not coming that means we get to watch a local recruit that wanted a SLU scholarship that will be as effective as Nesbitt and that is Hargrove.  I am anxious to see what Strickland can do anther player that wanted a SLU scholarship.

I want Kern and the DeSmet big and then give Russell the other scholarship.  You got to love Russell a local player paying to be part of the team.

Hang on Bauman you just need to watch SLU beat up some P5 teams and you will feel better.

Way to early to say Russell should be anything but a walk on.  Perhaps hold one scholly for Spring.  If Russell plays like a strong role player and possible senior replacement for Collins, then perhaps Ford gives the scholly to him, who knows. 

If not, SLU can do better giving that scholly to a grad transfer, a high level transfer, or JC player like Mario McKinney.  I know McKinney was listed as a shooting guard but at 6'2" it would be interesting to see if John Logan College uses him as a PG.  Love to see him in a Billiken uniform if his "head is on straight".

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Way to early to say Russell should be anything but a walk on.  Perhaps hold one scholly for Spring.  If Russell plays like a strong role player and possible senior replacement for Collins, then perhaps Ford gives the scholly to him, who knows. 

If not, SLU can do better giving that scholly to a grad transfer, a high level transfer, or JC player like Mario McKinney.  I know McKinney was listed as a shooting guard but at 6'2" it would be interesting to see if John Logan College uses him as a PG.  Love to see him in a Billiken uniform if his "head is on straight".

McKinney will be playing point guard this year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

McKinney will be playing point guard this year.  

intersting.  Talent is there but that would make it 3 PG with just a 3 year differnce.  - maybe russell isnt looked at as a potential pg.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Does anyone know if we are recruiting McKinney? I know they did when he was at Vashon, but hadn’t heard anything lately.

no but it just doesnt make sense to me why we would be 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wgstl said:

intersting.  Talent is there but that would make it 3 PG with just a 3 year differnce.  - maybe russell isnt looked at as a potential pg.  

McKinney would be a PG, but also is big enough and experienced enough to play the off guard. 

And as much as I am thrilled that Russell is on the team, remember, he is a walkon.  He was mostly not rated by the recruiting services for a reason.  He had just a few low D1 offers.  I am rooting for him to be a big success.  But would not be surprised if he plays one season at SLU, then moves on for more playing time if he proves himself as a serviceable PG.  Time will tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Does anyone know if we are recruiting McKinney? I know they did when he was at Vashon, but hadn’t heard anything lately.

He had a top 10 come out a few months back.  We weren’t in it, but the G League made his cut.

I don’t know what to believe when it comes to what went down at Mizzou with McKinney, but Ford’s son is a walk-on there.  So Ford probably is well aware of how it all actually went down and that might explain the apparent lack of interest we showed since he announced he was leaving Mizzou

Link to post
Share on other sites

To close the loop on another 2021 recruit, Franck Kepnang committed to Oregon. We offered over two years ago (it feels like at least three) but were never really in it. He's one of the top post players in the entire class.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SLU was one of his earlier offers, but by the time he dropped this top 10, he had over 40. I've never seen a JUCO prospect end up with that many, nor in such a short amount of time. Every time I checked in with his recruitment, he had 5 or so more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

SLU was one of his earlier offers, but by the time he dropped this top 10, he had over 40. I've never seen a JUCO prospect end up with that many, nor in such a short amount of time. Every time I checked in with his recruitment, he had 5 or so more.

another bizarre list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 10:08 AM, WVBilliken said:

McKinney would be a PG, but also is big enough and experienced enough to play the off guard. 

And as much as I am thrilled that Russell is on the team, remember, he is a walkon.  He was mostly not rated by the recruiting services for a reason.  He had just a few low D1 offers.  I am rooting for him to be a big success.  But would not be surprised if he plays one season at SLU, then moves on for more playing time if he proves himself as a serviceable PG.  Time will tell.

Perkins did not have any big D1 offers either and Perkins will probably be the leading scorer of the team.

Jimmy Bell did not have any big D1 offers either.

I agree we have to see the kid play.  I am hoping Russell is backing up Collins and earns that scholarship.  I am the optimist on every recruit so consider the source.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...