Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

been a long time since ive been in college (heck i was at slu when taj was in school, thats a long time ago)  but couldnt he just get incomplete's in his classes and finish all over the summer?   or if the professors were willing, he still come back in may and take finals and somehow pass?   i had a couple of theology classes i might as well have missed two months and just took the finals and still got c's.   

Roy, that explains it.  During the two months you cut class was the timeframe when "proper use of capital letters" was covered;)

David King likes this

2 minutes ago, BourbanStreet said:

I had to reread that KSDK article to see that the three other suspensions were probably going to be upheld and that none were expected to return to SLU. SLU playing a little PR stunt here? They know Goodwin will be the main headline and 2 months to someone who doesn't know the situation seems light, all the while 3 players just got shafted.

I felt for a while there was a chance that SLU was actually brilliant in this whole thing and that by suspending Goodwin for such a long time in the original ruling, people would be happy with just a few months and ignore the fact that the other 3 got completely outrageous and unfair punishments. In some ways its mission accomplished as even people on this board are saying this is the best case scenario.

If you had told us at the beginning the end result would be 3 kicked off and Goodwin for 2 months we would have thought there was no way anything could go that bad. Now if doesn't feel so awful.

SLU_Lax, Tonka, brianstl and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, bauman said:

Roy, that explains it.  During the two months you cut class was the timeframe when "proper use of capital letters" was covered;)

in theology classes?

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the article says he is off campus immediately.  i assume he forfeits the semester academically and will have to make it up in the summer if his "2 months" are like March and april.   

all in all if that is the way it is working he surely stays.   shame for the team they have worked so hard through this injustice and definitely overachieved.   going with 7 players the rest of the season with a bigger part now for hines doesnt seem to bear well for the remaining few games.   

He essentially got the same punishment as Kwamain (albeit Fall versus Spring semesters).  He loses this semester's academic work, but would have no benefit academically to transferring.  If he does not lose his academic work, the school is REALLY splitting hairs and coming up with some very unique punishments for him.  Either way, he would not be able to appeal to the NCAA to be immediately eligible since he is not removed from school next year.

The school found an effective way to punish him, but also to ensure that he stays (so the school can still benefit from his presence).  It also makes it hard for Goodwin to file any sort of lawsuit.  It is a shame that regardless of the findings, that Goodwin will always be stained by this episode.  I, also, would be curious to know what policy he violated (that the girls apparently did not violate).

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I felt for a while there was a chance that SLU was actually brilliant in this whole thing and that by suspending Goodwin for such a long time in the original ruling, people would be happy with just a few months and ignore the fact that the other 3 got completely outrageous and unfair punishments. In some ways its mission accomplished as even people on this board are saying this is the best case scenario.

If you had told us at the beginning the end result would be 3 kicked off and Goodwin for 2 months we would have thought there was no way anything could go that bad. Now if doesn't feel so awful.

Don't give SLU too much credit.

I will admit that I am relieved about Goodwin's punishment (again assuming he comes back), but I still don't think the other 3 got a fair shake in this and I still want to see the school take a beating in court. I really don't want all of this to be swept under the rug just because the key player got a reduced punishment. I'm sure some mistakes were made that night, but there's just no way that the behavior warranted these suspensions (effective expulsions) which not only ruined their basketball careers but also their personal reputations. 

What a joke. Ridiculous he was suspended for anything. It is good that he is hypothetically coming back, but I wonder how that will impact his eligibility academically. If this was handled in a proper manner, he would not have put in 2 months of classwork for nothing. 

Three guys had their lives ruined by these animals. 

The ultimate conclusion to all of this should be the firing of Fred Pestello. He was a bad choice and it was apparent from the very start. This 'process' and his lack of control is just further proof of his incompetence. 

HenryB likes this

16 minutes ago, BrockL said:

Now that everything is final on SLU's end, will we finally see a police report? 

I sure hope so. There's absolutely no reason for the police report to be open anymore. Looking forward to seeing how bad these girls lied in their initial statement.

Is anyone else STILL troubled by the fact that people keep labeling this sexual assault? Based on everything we do know and statements from lawyers on both sides, there was no sexual assault. I guess this label isn't going away which is pretty sad.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, let's not forget we had three players effectively expelled. We've had 26 games played to this point, and two were suspended for all of those while another missed all this semester as they awaited this decision. These are MAJOR penalties that you don't see many other programs giving players for virtually anything.

It's obvious that SLU is trying to come across as being "morally superior" to those other Universities, that they "don't put athletics above social justice." It's all a fuoking joke. 

Still so many questions on this.  Why did it take so long?  What did the police report say and did the girls file a false report?  Either way, what is their punishment because guarantee they violated a school policy.  Why did one punishment start out so harsh and get reduced while the other 3 were upheld?  Somebody needs to keep asking SLU questions and SLU needs to start answering instead of hiding behind their "private" school protection if they want money from me in the future.  

I have a good feeling the core will stay now,  Which is the absolute most important thing.  A month ago everyone on here was talking about how we will be in the dark ages for 3+ years because of this.  That dark age should only last a few months.  

I know im beating a dead horse, but we really need to come out for the last few games and get the current squad excited for next season with all of this behind them. 

David King likes this

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I sure hope so. There's absolutely no reason for the police report to be open anymore. Looking forward to seeing how bad these girls lied in their initial statement.

Is anyone else STILL troubled by the fact that people keep labeling this sexual assault? Based on everything we do know and statements from lawyers on both sides, there was no sexual assault. I guess this label isn't going away which is pretty sad.

The police report should have been available months ago. The prosecutor's office had no reason to keep the case open except as a favor to Kratky. It served no public interest.  It was nothing more than corruption to help a former colleague.  Keep your eyes open for anyone in that office getting a job at SLU over the next year.  Then you know who kept the case open and why.

10 minutes ago, kshoe said:

No chance SLU planned to do anything with the appeals before all of the backlash, which started with the Rosenthal presser, so we can thank him for that

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Here we go

And yep. Somehow managed to make the “correct call” while ALSO making it look like we’re giving preferential treatment to our best player — which we are. Please continue on and fire everyone 

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Rex has made his gift to SLU official yet, has he?  Wow.  There goes the biggest donation to SLU ever.

I think you're mixing up Rex Sinquefield (millionaire SLU donor / political donor from St. Louis) with Rex Tillerson (current secretary of state) and with this fool (some on twitter who is using a name that sounds like Rex Tillerson's.

Edit: Or I'm missing your joke / you're being sarcastic.