Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

I echo slu13's comments.  I have refrained from posting in this thread for the most part because what does it really matter?  As a certain group of southern comedians used to say "you can't fix stupid."  And the SLU administration here has demonstrated stupid by not being able to get anything about this right at all.  Not that there is a definable right or wrong .. but given what I've seen this year, there seems to be a hell of a lot more wrong done than right.  And I know, SLU didn't ask for this situation, but in today's environment and climate, they should have been better prepared to adhere to a "gold standard" than just pay lip service to it.  But lip service is all we got --- as usual.

That seems to be the one central theme that SLU sticks to no matter what -- lip service.  Say all the right things but do none of them.  This goes back to Grawer and Upchurch; Spoon and ice cream; Majerus and charter flights; and now this.  I think the pitfall  summation of all this is Biondi's 1997 comment of "We will be a top 50 program." made in  the euphoria of the Legend's one-and-done season.  Made directly to my ears.  But no one at the top knew what that meant.  So here we are, 20 years past that mark and still floundering.  One step up, two steps back.

I have been around since this board was formed; I was also on the board back when Nark started it's predecessor little brother.  I've met some very fine individuals who I am proud to call Billiken Brothers in this forum.  I have also argued long and hard with others like Vtime, triangle and too, kshoe, the putz and many more.  Some things ended well; some did not.  That' s life.  But 13 is right when he says this .... not the Ekker years, not the Soderberg years, not the [dead] years but THIS has killed my "undying" enthusiasm for Billiken Basketball and all things Billiken for that matter.

I don't know the real reasons behind the total indecisiveness and sheer paralysis of this administration to get to the end of this ordeal, and suspect none of us ever will.  But that is what galls me.  We were long past the decision point for this fiasco back in early December.  I too no longer say "oooh, the Billikens are on, stop what I'm doing."  I bagged on local trips I have never bagged on in the past.   I've returned every SLU email with the diatribe about "free the three," or "#makeadecision" and I've even sent emails to May and others saying move it.  But it is not Chris May with whom I am angry. 

When is the last time good old Billikenswin showed up to blow blue Kool-Aid smoke up our skirts?  Where is Wendelprof and the rest of the admin apologists?  I really don't know who if anyone is advising Pestello on any of this but that's a big FAIL in my book.

I don't believe for one nano-second that anyone raped anyone nor that anyone assaulted anyone.  Yet lives are being ruined.  SLU continues to amplify the situation they just want to go away.

I am still watching when I can from afar.  But my enthusiasm has long been depleted. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I assume he's only suspended from the bball team and not school.  The latter would seem to screw some things up academically. 

Either way, what a joke.  Essentially SLU Title IX got it all wrong, but has to save face somehow. 

the article says he is off campus immediately.  i assume he forfeits the semester academically and will have to make it up in the summer if his "2 months" are like March and april.   

all in all if that is the way it is working he surely stays.   shame for the team they have worked so hard through this injustice and definitely overachieved.   going with 7 players the rest of the season with a bigger part now for hines doesnt seem to bear well for the remaining few games.   

13 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

The found innocent of sexual assault is key language here for clearing his name.  But........ if I am one  of the other three players I view this as saying I am guilty of sexual assault.  It clears Goodwin and stains the other three.

TaLBErt likes this

1 minute ago, Westy03 said:

I might be reading this wrong but why would he apologize if he wasnt coming back.  

That's how I read it as well.  I assume it was part of the deal with the school.

1 minute ago, Westy03 said:

I might be reading this wrong but why would he apologize if he wasnt coming back.  

Agree. My only worry is all the other coaches who are in his ear for the next 2 months. But even Goodwin's dad's comment made it seem like he's coming back.

Just now, Cowboy said:

-I don't get the excitement on here, one of the most important recruits turned players in our history has just been kicked out of school

But not permanently. If he comes back all that is lost is this semester of classes and basketball and the let's be honest the basketball wan't really going anywhere, despite peoples dreams of a strong finish.

7 minutes ago, Zink said:

Phew. Let’s go get them next year. 

This is the best possible outcome. My biggest fear was that they would let him play out the season  and then he would have been strongly encouraged to transfer. This way, we FINALLY have closure and can look ahead to next year.

Billikid likes this

Just now, Cowboy said:

-I don't get the excitement on here, one of the most important recruits turned players in our history has just been kicked out of school

It is outrageous but considering his departure would have decimated the program for years, this is a positive. 

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Agree. My only worry is all the other coaches who are in his ear for the next 2 months. But even Goodwin's dad's comment made it seem like he's coming back.

The thing SLU has protecting itself here is that he would have to sit a year.  No way the NCAA grants him a waiver if he is going to be able to play here next season.  

Appears a decision is final, don't know what it is. Received this a minute ago at 8:43am :  

Saint Louis University has concluded the Title IX investigation that began on Sept. 2, 2017. The parties have been notified of the final decisions, which were determined by an Appeal Panel. With the notifications to the parties, these cases are closed. Throughout this Title IX investigation, the University followed its Sexual Misconduct Policy.

Just now, Box and Won said:

Two months is kind of a dumb suspension, but hey, this is SLU we're talking about.  Two months takes us to April 13.  Finals end on May 15.

That was my first thought. It's just a weird choice for a period of time.

He basically misses six games - five left on the schedule, and an A10 Tournament game, MAYBE 7 if we get lucky and win one without any ball handlers and just two subs.

But can he take classes remotely while he's suspended from campus? I hope they don't just crater a semester of academics for him. That'd be messed up. I'm just going to assume he has arrangements made and can come back on campus and finish and take finals.

Zink likes this

Just now, Cowboy said:

-perhaps you folks know JGood and his family and that gives you reason to think he will return to school in the summer, continue to play for and graduate from Saint Louis University, I don't know them but I have my doubts

Go back and look at every picture taken of him with the students after wins.

Billikid likes this

Just now, brianstl said:

It will be interesting to see if Bishop tries to get an injunction.  There is some reason he stayed through all this unlike Graves and AD.  It gives me the feeling he is going to fight this.

Bishop's situation is definitely curious. 

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

Two months is kind of a dumb suspension, but hey, this is SLU we're talking about.  Two months takes us to April 13.  Finals end on May 15.

This kinda makes me think they have an arrangement where he will do class work remotely. This was obviously a sort of plea deal worked out with his family which would indicate he plans on staying.