• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Nobody listen to Frank in the past hour. It's awful. Meltdown mode

About Ahearn, tight toupees, shortage of parmesan due to global warming? What?

Just for fun (I know he is not the guy) here are some fun numbers for this NBA season. 

Ahern is 1 of 6 assitant coaches on an NBA team with a 23-46 record..

Ahearn was hired as a Grizzlies' assitant to help with "shooting development" ... the Grizzlies are last in the NBA in shooting percentage.

22 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I may listen later to see if any of the ranting is amusing.

I assume that it’s a mix of him still upset that his friend Travis got fired, and that his choice of Ahearn isn’t getting hired.

Also, SLU doesn’t like getting scooped, so if he’s on the radio trying to say that Schertz isn’t getting hired, which is what I read that he was doing, there’s a good chance that he’s running interference on Chris May’s behalf. Remember, this is the same operation that when news broke 8 years ago that SLU was hiring Ford, they denied it for 1-2 days and then announced that they were hiring Ford. 

3 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I may listen later to see if any of the ranting is amusing.

I assume that it’s a mix of him still upset that his friend Travis got fired, and that his choice of Ahearn isn’t getting hired.

Also, SLU doesn’t like getting scooped, so if he’s on the radio trying to say that Schertz isn’t getting hired, which is what I read that he was doing, there’s a good chance that he’s running interference on Chris May’s behalf. Remember, this is the same operation that when news broke 8 years ago that SLU was hiring Ford, they denied it for 1-2 days and then announced that they were hiring Ford. 

He knows its basically a done deal as well.

20 minutes ago, SLU-Geo said:

Just for fun (I know he is not the guy) here are some fun numbers for this NBA season. 

Ahearn was hired as a Grizzlies' assitant to help with "shooting development" ... the Grizzlies are last in the NBA in shooting percentage.

Goodwin 's shooting percentage and free percentage has went down since going to Memphis.  

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I am excited about Schertz coming in.  New blood and a coach that may be much better at managing a team and a game is inspiring hope.  That being said, reading the ISU message board has made me realize that the idea of a coach coming in, doing really well, and then leaving for a P6 conference, but leaving your team in a much better place is just not the way of the world anymore.  A whole bunch of guys on this board keep commenting about not minding getting a coach on the rise even if there is a danger of losing that coach in a few years to a better job, because our program will be in a better spot.  Well, this is the example about how that is simply an outdated concept.  Schertz, if what we are hearing is correct, is going to bring most of his better players to SLU.  ISU will absolutely be back to ground zero after this happens.  They will absolutely not be in a better place than when he arrived.  If he does great things for us and then leaves in a few years, taking all of our best players, we will be in the same spot we were now and after Crews.

Again, I am excited about the idea of Scherz coming in.  However, this is why I would have preferred a guy who's a really good coach, but just didn't work out at a P6 school who will appreciate the idea of staying with us long term even after raising the program up.

ISU is in a much better spot than before they hired Schertz.  Schertz made the job more attractive to other coaches, increased the financial commitment the school was willing to make to the program,  increased their fundraising levels and increased awareness of the program across the country.  It is now a program that is more attractive to coaches and players.  Now they just need to hire the right guy to build on that.

TheChosenOne and 93sporty like this

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

If you have the right person picking coaches, it's just fine. 

See VCU-

Within the first 2 years after a coach leaves, they bring in someone and make the tourney + they made extra cash for the AD with the buyout.  And it will happen with Odom next year. 

2008–09 Anthony Grant 24–10 14–4 1st NCAA First Round
2009–10 Shaka Smart 27–9 11–7 5th CBI Champions
2010–11 Shaka Smart 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 Shaka Smart 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA Third Round
2012–13 Shaka Smart 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Third Round
2013–14 Shaka Smart 26–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Second Round
2014–15 Shaka Smart 26–10 12–6 T-4th NCAA First Round
2015–16 Will Wade 25–11 14–4 T-1st NCAA Second Round
2016–17 Will Wade 26–9 14–4 2nd NCAA First Round
2017–18 Mike Rhoades 17–14 9–9 5th None
2018–19 Mike Rhoades 25–8 16–2 1st NCAA First Round
2019–20 Mike Rhoades 18-13 8–10 7th [a]
2020–21 Mike Rhoades 19–7 10–4 4th NCAA First Round
2021–22 Mike Rhoades 22–10 14–4 2nd NIT Second Round
2022–23 Mike Rhoades 27–8 15–3 1st NCAA First Round

23-24 - NIT

24-25 Likely NCAA if Odom isn't picked up this summer

- While Shake and Wade are outstanding coaches, Rhoades is eh, and Odom is another one we could have gotten with our resources. 

Their last hire was before free agency and NIL.  Same with Xavier, as someone mentions later.  With the new way things are done in the NCAA, these examples don't apply.  A coach can leave, take most of your team, and leave you in shambles immediately after having you in a good spot.  That's the difference now.  As ISU fans.

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

Their last hire was before free agency and NIL.  Same with Xavier, as someone mentions later.  With the new way things are done in the NCAA, these examples don't apply.  A coach can leave, take most of your team, and leave you in shambles immediately after having you in a good spot.  That's the difference now.  As ISU fans.

And then you can hire another up and coming coach who can ALSO bring their team with them. It's lame as fuok, IMO for things to be the way they are but that's a conversation for another day.

Soderball likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

And then you can hire another up and coming coach who can ALSO bring their team with them. It's lame as fuok, IMO for things to be the way they are but that's a conversation for another day.

I don't disagree with that.  My only point is that the idea of leaving a programs in better shape than you arrived is not nearly what it used to be.

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

What's your method for SLU to avoid a coach moving on if they're successful?

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't disagree with that.  My only point is that the idea of leaving a programs in better shape than you arrived is not nearly what it used to be.

In the ISU case, you are correct. I genuinely feel for their program and fans, they deserved the NCAA bid and they truly would have been in a much better spot with the NCAA money. Insult to injury. But I think 95% of the time the school getting pillaged will be compensated greatly by NCAA bids or buyout.

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

What's your method for SLU to avoid a coach moving on if they're successful?

None.  That wasn't my point.  If Scherz gives us four great years and then moves on taking most of our team with him, I will be extremely happy for the four years he gave us.  I will also by just as upset as the ISU fans that we will be back to square one.  I don't think there is anything to the idea (anymore) that our program will have been elevated.  A new coach will have to come in a start from scratch.

My thought was that we have a better chance to hold onto a coach who has already been to the P6 and understands that a program in our position is actually preferred over another move to P6 and stays here long term.  Most on this board wanted to avoid that type of coach simply because Ford left a bad taste in their mouths and that describes him.  Another coach in the same position as Ford won't necessarily be another Ford.  He could just be the next great Billiken coach.

Regardless, I'm excited about Scherz and seeing what he can do.  Go Bills.

ACE likes this

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I listened to the Opening Drive and the last two segments of today's show, and I don't know what you are upset about, unless it is the other two segments.

Frank stated he talked on the phone to several people actively involved with the search.  He stated Schertz has talked directly (not through his agent) to Dr. Chaifetz, Fred P, Chris May and Joe Conran.  Apparently Schertz won't accept any job until his team is out of the NIT.  He is still in the running for other jobs.

Frank asked Dr. Chaifetz if he 'was your guy'.  Chaifetz reportedly said, "We are talking to other coaches, some who are coaching in the NCAA Tourney."  The only other name that Frank and Rammer talked about was Bryce Drew.  Bob commented that Grand Canyon has several Dr. Chaifetz level backers.

Corey Tate, as current Interim Coach, goes to the office each day.  So does Harriman.  Jimerson is interested in staying, but hasn't committed.  (He apparently likes Coach Tate.)

Parker has heard from quite a few P6 schools. 

Outside of the SLU talk, the story on the Iowa lineman was interesting.  This football player originally committed to Iowa but flipped to Alabama on signing day.  At the beginning of the Jan portal, he transferred to Iowa.  Now, 3 months later, he is transferring back to Alabama.

I’m interested in your reaction. Where was the meltdown mode as I missed it. 

majerus mojo likes this

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

In the ISU case, you are correct. I genuinely feel for their program and fans, they deserved the NCAA bid and they truly would have been in a much better spot with the NCAA money. Insult to injury. But I think 95% of the time the school getting pillaged will be compensated greatly by NCAA bids or buyout.

You are correct about the buyout idea and about NCAA credits.  If a coach gets you to the tournament multiple years in a row, it's a great benefit financially to the AD.

1 hour ago, SLU-Geo said:

But number one for outside the arena shooting percentage. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I listened to the Opening Drive and the last two segments of today's show, and I don't know what you are upset about, unless it is the other two segments.

Frank stated he talked on the phone to several people actively involved with the search.  He stated Schertz has talked directly (not through his agent) to Dr. Chaifetz, Fred P, Chris May and Joe Conran.  Apparently Schertz won't accept any job until his team is out of the NIT.  He is still in the running for other jobs.

Frank asked Dr. Chaifetz if he 'was your guy'.  Chaifetz reportedly said, "We are talking to other coaches, some who are coaching in the NCAA Tourney." 

Corey Tate, as current Interim Coach, goes to the office each day.  So does Harriman.  Jimerson is interested in staying, but hasn't committed.  (He apparently likes Coach Tate.)

Parker has heard from quite a few P6 schools. 

Outside of the SLU talk, the story on the Iowa lineman was interesting.  This football player originally committed to Iowa but flipped to Alabama on signing day.  At the beginning of the Jan portal, he transferred to Iowa.  Now, 3 months later, he is transferring back to Alabama.

The Kayden Proctor thing is mind-boggling, but somebody at Alabama opened the purse strings. Proctor being from Iowa, just probably looked around IC and thought life was just a bit more to his liking in Tuscaloosa. It’s a toss-up who has the better O-line heritage (or O-line U as the kids say), but Iowa couldn’t move the ball with a D9 bulldozer last season under Brian Ferentz, so it makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

The Kayden Proctor thing is mind-boggling, but somebody at Alabama opened the purse strings. Proctor being from Iowa, just probably looked around IC and thought life was just a bit more to his liking in Tuscaloosa. It’s a toss-up who has the better O-line heritage (or O-line U as the kids say), but Iowa couldn’t move the ball with a D9 bulldozer last season under Brian Ferentz, so it makes sense. 

I don't know if Proctor was a money thing so much as wanting to get back with his friends at Alabama.  He made the announcement right after returning from a spring break trip he took with some of his former Alabama teammates.

4 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

What, and I figured he was more interested in the Alabama Aerospace Engineering program than the Iowa Animal Care degree!  So it's about money and not education?

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

If you have the right person picking coaches, it's just fine. 

See VCU-

Within the first 2 years after a coach leaves, they bring in someone and make the tourney + they made extra cash for the AD with the buyout.  And it will happen with Odom next year. 

2008–09 Anthony Grant 24–10 14–4 1st NCAA First Round
2009–10 Shaka Smart 27–9 11–7 5th CBI Champions
2010–11 Shaka Smart 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 Shaka Smart 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA Third Round
2012–13 Shaka Smart 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Third Round
2013–14 Shaka Smart 26–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Second Round
2014–15 Shaka Smart 26–10 12–6 T-4th NCAA First Round
2015–16 Will Wade 25–11 14–4 T-1st NCAA Second Round
2016–17 Will Wade 26–9 14–4 2nd NCAA First Round
2017–18 Mike Rhoades 17–14 9–9 5th None
2018–19 Mike Rhoades 25–8 16–2 1st NCAA First Round
2019–20 Mike Rhoades 18-13 8–10 7th [a]
2020–21 Mike Rhoades 19–7 10–4 4th NCAA First Round
2021–22 Mike Rhoades 22–10 14–4 2nd NIT Second Round
2022–23 Mike Rhoades 27–8 15–3 1st NCAA First Round

23-24 - NIT

24-25 Likely NCAA if Odom isn't picked up this summer

- While Shake and Wade are outstanding coaches, Rhoades is eh, and Odom is another one we could have gotten with our resources. 

In this era the AD needs to have the next coach in mind at all times.  The good years, the bad years, always. The AD (and boosters) should have 3-4 names whose agents they are prepared to call with very little notice. Sustainable success will involve being able to have your coach poached and immediately turn around and make another good hire..

52 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

None.  That wasn't my point.  If Scherz gives us four great years and then moves on taking most of our team with him, I will be extremely happy for the four years he gave us.  I will also by just as upset as the ISU fans that we will be back to square one.  I don't think there is anything to the idea (anymore) that our program will have been elevated.  A new coach will have to come in a start from scratch.

My thought was that we have a better chance to hold onto a coach who has already been to the P6 and understands that a program in our position is actually preferred over another move to P6 and stays here long term.  Most on this board wanted to avoid that type of coach simply because Ford left a bad taste in their mouths and that describes him.  Another coach in the same position as Ford won't necessarily be another Ford.  He could just be the next great Billiken coach.

Regardless, I'm excited about Scherz and seeing what he can do.  Go Bills.

-who are some of these coaches? if using their time as an assistant are you including May and Dutcher?

HenryB likes this