10 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

The last comment about those fers are literally buying our program, they should feel like scum. 

Ha! Welcome to men’s college basketball, where ya been?

It's just a human response. And we could very well be in the same boat in a few years if Schertz does well here.

I definitely feel for ISU. It's just a really bad chain of events: (1) get snubbed by the NCAA committee (in favor of a hilariously underqualified UVA team?), (2) transfer portal opens and (3) lose your coach to a fellow mid-major. Basically have to start from scratch, and you don't even get the national exposure that would've come with Cream Abdul-Jabbar in the tourney.

(With that said, I'm excited as hell for this hire and hope he brings some of the ISU players with him.)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

I would like IS to won the whole NIT, then HCJS comes to SLU on a roll, and recruits and mines the portal like a champ!!!

I don't - I want ISU to lose tonight and have Schertz hired first thing tomorrow so he can get to work for SLU. Names are hitting the portal every day - a lot of work to do!

David King and Box and Won like this

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

I don't - I want ISU to lose tonight and have Schertz hired first thing tomorrow so he can get to work for SLU. Names are hitting the portal every day - a lot of work to do!

I mean there’s no way Schertz is just popping bottles celebrating his SLU job and not working the portal and whatnot already. 

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

They have to at least beat Butler. F Butler.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean there’s no way Schertz is just popping bottles celebrating his SLU job and not working the portal and whatnot already. 

I want him 100% focused on the SLU job and not have to deal with this NIT distraction.. Also, the longer the NIT thing drags on, it opens the possibility that things with SLU could unravel. 

gobillsgo and thatskablamo like this

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

I want him 100% focused on the SLU job and not have to deal with this NIT distraction.. Also, the longer the NIT thing drags on, it opens the possibility that things with SLU could unravel. 

it's official. chill out and enjoy it.

it's a little less hard work being a Billiken fan today. Take it easy. I'll be watching tonight. Go trees.

i mean if our new guys go out there and suck in the NIT then we can panic and worry if we made the right call. Let's just bring in the reigning NIT champions and queue the Pit Bull and not worry about it.

Tonka likes this

I am excited about Schertz coming in.  New blood and a coach that may be much better at managing a team and a game is inspiring hope.  That being said, reading the ISU message board has made me realize that the idea of a coach coming in, doing really well, and then leaving for a P6 conference, but leaving your team in a much better place is just not the way of the world anymore.  A whole bunch of guys on this board keep commenting about not minding getting a coach on the rise even if there is a danger of losing that coach in a few years to a better job, because our program will be in a better spot.  Well, this is the example about how that is simply an outdated concept.  Schertz, if what we are hearing is correct, is going to bring most of his better players to SLU.  ISU will absolutely be back to ground zero after this happens.  They will absolutely not be in a better place than when he arrived.  If he does great things for us and then leaves in a few years, taking all of our best players, we will be in the same spot we were now and after Crews.

Again, I am excited about the idea of Scherz coming in.  However, this is why I would have preferred a guy who's a really good coach, but just didn't work out at a P6 school who will appreciate the idea of staying with us long term even after raising the program up.

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I am excited about Schertz coming in.  New blood and a coach that may be much better at managing a team and a game is inspiring hope.  That being said, reading the ISU message board has made me realize that the idea of a coach coming in, doing really well, and then leaving for a P6 conference, but leaving your team in a much better place is just not the way of the world anymore.  A whole bunch of guys on this board keep commenting about not minding getting a coach on the rise even if there is a danger of losing that coach in a few years to a better job, because our program will be in a better spot.  Well, this is the example about how that is simply an outdated concept.  Schertz, if what we are hearing is correct, is going to bring most of his better players to SLU.  ISU will absolutely be back to ground zero after this happens.  They will absolutely not be in a better place than when he arrived.  If he does great things for us and then leaves in a few years, taking all of our best players, we will be in the same spot we were now and after Crews.

Again, I am excited about the idea of Scherz coming in.  However, this is why I would have preferred a guy who's a really good coach, but just didn't work out at a P6 school who will appreciate the idea of staying with us long term even after raising the program up.

bad take. SLU will be receiving probably 6-8 million in buyout cash at least from the poaching school, if not more.

We can then go poach the newest flavor-of-the-month. SLU has billionaire backing. Terre Haute has corn. Dr. Richard "Mark Cuban" Chaifetz can buy a lot of f'in corn.

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Again, I am excited about the idea of Schertz coming in.  However, this is why I would have preferred a guy who's a really good coach, but just didn't work out at a P6 school who will appreciate the idea of staying with us long term even after raising the program up.

If you have the cash to bring in a successful coach and the NIL bank to entice players, you can rebuild instantly.   Please Coach Schertz get us to 2 or 3 Tournaments and then, if you have to, leave us for the Big 10!!!! 

Tonka and Soderball like this

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If you have the right person picking coaches, it's just fine. 

See VCU-

Within the first 2 years after a coach leaves, they bring in someone and make the tourney + they made extra cash for the AD with the buyout.  And it will happen with Odom next year. 

2008–09 Anthony Grant 24–10 14–4 1st NCAA First Round
2009–10 Shaka Smart 27–9 11–7 5th CBI Champions
2010–11 Shaka Smart 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 Shaka Smart 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA Third Round
2012–13 Shaka Smart 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Third Round
2013–14 Shaka Smart 26–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Second Round
2014–15 Shaka Smart 26–10 12–6 T-4th NCAA First Round
2015–16 Will Wade 25–11 14–4 T-1st NCAA Second Round
2016–17 Will Wade 26–9 14–4 2nd NCAA First Round
2017–18 Mike Rhoades 17–14 9–9 5th None
2018–19 Mike Rhoades 25–8 16–2 1st NCAA First Round
2019–20 Mike Rhoades 18-13 8–10 7th [a]
2020–21 Mike Rhoades 19–7 10–4 4th NCAA First Round
2021–22 Mike Rhoades 22–10 14–4 2nd NIT Second Round
2022–23 Mike Rhoades 27–8 15–3 1st NCAA First Round

23-24 - NIT

24-25 Likely NCAA if Odom isn't picked up this summer

- While Shake and Wade are outstanding coaches, Rhoades is eh, and Odom is another one we could have gotten with our resources. 

ARon likes this

8 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

If you have the cash to bring in a successful coach and the NIL bank to entice players, you can rebuild instantly.   Please Coach Schertz get us to 2 or 3 Tournaments and then, if you have to, leave us for the Big 10!!!! 

I’ll take 1

12 minutes ago, Soderball said:

bad take. SLU will be receiving probably 6-8 million in buyout cash at least from the poaching school, if not more.

We can then go poach the newest flavor-of-the-month. SLU has billionaire backing. Terre Haute has corn. Dr. Richard "Mark Cuban" Chaifetz can buy a lot of f'in corn.

who?

18 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

That's how we ended up with Ford. 

9 minutes ago, House said:

I'm trying to figure out where some of you are getting that Schertz is a done deal.  I saw Trilly's smoke tweet, but that really didn't say anything.  What did I miss?

He said originally Schertz was the front runner for SLU job.  He then mentioned again that a deal was near complete.   Then he said its would be announced after ISU season was over, then posted the smoke tweet. 

OkieBilliken likes this

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Yeah so many bad takes 

I'm afraid to win because we might lose a coach?!

ISU is better of today than they were before Schertz. He showed the world that ISU can win the MVC, be ranked and get national attention. He got boosters involved and willing to pony up money for NIL.  That raised their profile with perspective coaches, players, media, the community.  They can hire McCollum, Ahearn basketball Jesus and win again.  Rebuilds are 1 to 2 year propositions now.

SLU is way better off today.  If IU wants Schertz in 3 years that means we've won some games likely in the NCAA tournament. Then we go poach McCollum and SMS cries. Win win win

Soderball and majerus mojo like this

53 minutes ago, House said:

I'm trying to figure out where some of you are getting that Schertz is a done deal.  I saw Trilly's smoke tweet, but that really didn't say anything.  What did I miss?

It's done. Trilly has confirmed on his discord channel (which is pay for access) that's it's a done deal. 

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If you have the right person picking coaches, it's just fine. 

See VCU-

Within the first 2 years after a coach leaves, they bring in someone and make the tourney + they made extra cash for the AD with the buyout.  And it will happen with Odom next year. 

2008–09 Anthony Grant 24–10 14–4 1st NCAA First Round
2009–10 Shaka Smart 27–9 11–7 5th CBI Champions
2010–11 Shaka Smart 28–12 12–6 4th NCAA Final Four
2011–12 Shaka Smart 29–7 15–3 2nd NCAA Third Round
2012–13 Shaka Smart 27–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Third Round
2013–14 Shaka Smart 26–9 12–4 2nd NCAA Second Round
2014–15 Shaka Smart 26–10 12–6 T-4th NCAA First Round
2015–16 Will Wade 25–11 14–4 T-1st NCAA Second Round
2016–17 Will Wade 26–9 14–4 2nd NCAA First Round
2017–18 Mike Rhoades 17–14 9–9 5th None
2018–19 Mike Rhoades 25–8 16–2 1st NCAA First Round
2019–20 Mike Rhoades 18-13 8–10 7th [a]
2020–21 Mike Rhoades 19–7 10–4 4th NCAA First Round
2021–22 Mike Rhoades 22–10 14–4 2nd NIT Second Round
2022–23 Mike Rhoades 27–8 15–3 1st NCAA First Round

23-24 - NIT

24-25 Likely NCAA if Odom isn't picked up this summer

- While Shake and Wade are outstanding coaches, Rhoades is eh, and Odom is another one we could have gotten with our resources. 

You can do this same analysis with Xavier, but over a longer period of time as @Pistol did on a recent MMP episode.  Bob Staak 1985, Pete Gillen 1994, Skip Prosser 2001, Thad Matta 2004, Sean Miller 2009, Chris Mack 2018 were all hired away by high major programs.  It wasn't until Travis Steele that they fired a coach.  6 coaches in a 34 year window moving on to a higher profile (at the time) job.

You can also go back further with VCU to Jeff Capel being hired by Oklahoma in 2006.  5 coaches in an 18 year window moving on to a higher profile job.

Butler is another example,  but a little different because they usually hired from within.  Barry Collier 2000, Matta 2001, Todd Lickliter 2007, Brad Stevens 2013, Brandon Miller (dud), and Chris Holtmann (2017).  5 out of 6 coaches in an 18 year window moving on to a higher profile job.

Heck Creighton an example over a longer stretch of time.  Eddie Sutton 1974, Tom Apke 1981, Willis Reed (sort of), Tony Barone, Rick Johnson (dud), Dana Altman 2010.  5 of 6 coaches in 37 years moving on to a higher profile job.

You can point out that not all those guys worked out when they moved up a level, but who cares from the perspective of the lower profile school.  They got some success out of the guy, got paid for him to be hired elsewhere, and moved on.

That is the formula.  Put non-coach resources in place to be successful / attract a good, young, up & coming coach, make a good hire of a good, young up & coming coach, don't worry about that coach moving on, re-invest in the program when it has success and that coach gets bought out, rinse, repeat.

Eventually you hope to be in a position where the coach is happy enough & your program is big enough that they decide to stay (Gonzaga).  That's the dream, but it happens organically & could take a few cycles of hiring good young coaches for it to happen or it may never happen & that's okay too.

I’ve thought about it, and I’m pretty sure it’s best if ISU just loses tonight.  Don’t need Larry Blurred to have any more national exposure prior to transferring to SLU.  I don’t want some big name school poaching him from under our noses.  Schertz without his guys is still an attractive candidate. Schertz with his guys, and a few more portal additions, is a likely A10 favorite year 1. 

slufan13 likes this

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

You can do this same analysis with Xavier, but over a longer period of time as @Pistol did on a recent MMP episode.  Bob Staak 1985, Pete Gillen 1994, Skip Prosser 2001, Thad Matta 2004, Sean Miller 2009, Chris Mack 2018 were all hired away by high major programs.  It wasn't until Travis Steele that they fired a coach.  6 coaches in a 34 year window moving on to a higher profile (at the time) job.

You can also go back further with VCU to Jeff Capel being hired by Oklahoma in 2006.  5 coaches in an 18 year window moving on to a higher profile job.

Butler is another example,  but a little different because they usually hired from within.  Barry Collier 2000, Matta 2001, Todd Lickliter 2007, Brad Stevens 2013, Brandon Miller (dud), and Chris Holtmann (2017).  5 out of 6 coaches in an 18 year window moving on to a higher profile job.

Heck Creighton an example over a longer stretch of time.  Eddie Sutton 1974, Tom Apke 1981, Willis Reed (sort of), Tony Barone, Rick Johnson (dud), Dana Altman 2010.  5 of 6 coaches in 37 years moving on to a higher profile job.

You can point out that not all those guys worked out when they moved up a level, but who cares from the perspective of the lower profile school.  They got some success out of the guy, got paid for him to be hired elsewhere, and moved on.

That is the formula.  Put non-coach resources in place to be successful / attract a good, young, up & coming coach, make a good hire of a good, young up & coming coach, don't worry about that coach moving on, re-invest in the program when it has success and that coach gets bought out, rinse, repeat.

Eventually you hope to be in a position where the coach is happy enough & your program is big enough that they decide to stay (Gonzaga).  That's the dream, but it happens organically & could take a few cycles of hiring good young coaches for it to happen or it may never happen & that's okay too.

Drake, too, since the day Dr. Tom came back to campus. Keno, Ray Giacoletti, Niko Medved, possibly DeVries. 

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’ve thought about it, and I’m pretty sure it’s best if ISU just loses tonight.  Don’t need Larry Blurred to have any more national exposure prior to transferring to SLU.  I don’t want some big name school poaching him from under our noses.  Schertz without his guys is still an attractive candidate. Schertz with his guys, and a few more portal additions, is a likely A10 favorite year 1. 

Agreed. Rooting for SMU tonight.