Coaching Carousel 2024

55 minutes ago, DOC said:

We’re in a great position right now. And as bad as the contract/buyout was, it hasn’t affected SLU basketball one bit. It’s been a non-factor. We have plenty of money for Schertz and we wouldn’t have gotten him if he didn’t get NIL assurances. If a few of his players sign then this will be an absolute home run hire for May. 

It is like a 12-20 season just never happened.

May needs a home run hire to keep his job.  Anything less with his track record and he's fired in disgrace.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It gives them room to go up.  If it doesn't work he can go in 3 years.  If it does he's extended with a pay raise.  This is how a rational program works.

It also has an auto renew clause that I believe adds clarity to the mythical Ford contract extension. 

3 hours ago, Bizziken said:

This slots him in as the 59th highest paid college basketball coach. Seems REALLY low for a blue blood-adjacent program. 

Kelsey's like their seventh choice and is being paid accordingly.  I think this is a good fit.  The program has cratered and Kelsey is a good enough X's and O's coach to make them NIT-worthy in two years and back to the NCAA in three.

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

It is like a 12-20 season just never happened.

May needs a home run hire to keep his job.  Anything less with his track record and he's fired in disgrace.

Torch, Pestello is quitting next year, who is going to fire May if he screws up again? I do not think Pestello is likely to fire May. I think May will probably stay until the new President takes over and decides May has to go. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Torch, Pestello is quitting next year, who is going to fire May if he screws up again? I do not think Pestello is likely to fire May. I think May will probably stay until the new President takes over and decides May has to go. 

A good hire now does not wash away what he did with Crews and Ford.

TheA_Bomb likes this

12 hours ago, Bizziken said:

This slots him in as the 59th highest paid college basketball coach. Seems REALLY low for a blue blood-adjacent program. 

The perks may put Kelsey's overall salary way over the top. Things like a radio show (is Louisville a TV show?). Product endorsements. Recall Spoon had a bunch> Nextall phones, My Olive pickles, Lou Fusz, SLUCare, etc.. Did Ford get any of those?

24 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

The perks may put Kelsey's overall salary way over the top. Things like a radio show (is Louisville a TV show?). Product endorsements. Recall Spoon had a bunch> Nextall phones, My Olive pickles, Lou Fusz, SLUCare, etc.. Did Ford get any of those?

Bommarito is the most obvious one. Obviously I don’t listen to the radio broadcasts unless I’m in a 2 men and a garden pickle, but I’m sure he had a radio spot or two. His teams also weren’t really good enough or popular enough to be in the forefront of St Louis sports. Unlike Spoon. 

On 3/29/2024 at 12:00 AM, thetorch said:

A good hire now does not wash away what he did with Crews and Ford.

So Doc Chaifetz is involved with the presumed Schertz hire, but he was not involved with the Crews and Ford hires?

Interesting choice. I wonder if this means he wasn't a serious option at SLU or we moved quickly when he was playing the field and when the musical chairs stopped and CoC was what was left? 

This is a Bobby Cremins type hire for them which worked out before.

I'm good with Schertz.  Love the 5 out offense.