Coaching Carousel 2024

Official changes so far:

School Conference Former Coach New Coach
Bryant America East Jared Grasso Phil Martelli, Jr
Cal Poly Big West John Smith TBD
Central Arkansas ASUN Anthony Boone TBD
Charleston Southern Big South Barclay Radebaugh Saah Nimley
Coastal Carolina Sun Belt Cliff Ellis Benny Moss (INTERIM)
DePaul Big East Tony Stubblefield Matt Brady (INTERIM)
Detroit Mercy Horizon Mike Davis TBD
Fairfield MAAC Jay Young Chris Casey (INTERIM)
Houston Christian Southland Ron Cottrell’s TBD
IUPUI Horizon Matt Crenshaw TBD
Loyola Maryland Patriot League Tavaras Hardy TBD
Ohio State Big Ten Chris Holtmann Jake Diebler (INTERIM)
Old Dominion Sun Belt Jeff Jones Mike Jones
Pacific WCC Leonard Perry TBD
Pepperdine WCC Lorenzo Romar TBD
Southern Illinois Missouri Valley Bryan Mullins TBD
Washington Big Ten Mike Hopkins  
West Virginia Big 12 Bob Huggins Josh Eilert (INTERIM)

Coaches that have signed new contracts extensions:

McDermott at Creighton

Coaches that are supposedly safe:

Woodson at Indiana

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Crazy that it has been 17 years since SIU last made the NCAA tournament.  In the 15 previous seasons before that they went 9 times with two Sweet Sixteens.

Parrish and Norlander were discussing on their podcast how SIUC had 2 big time players in the B10 this season on their team last year and didn't win the MVC.  Just shows you can't be good in just one area unless you're really really elite in that area.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Crazy that it has been 17 years since SIU last made the NCAA tournament.  In the 15 previous seasons before that they went 9 times with two Sweet Sixteens.

-we lost to them by 39 or 41 and it wasn't that close

14 hours ago, brianstl said:

Wow. What a journey for Danny Sprinkle the last 5 years: head coach at his Alma mater Montana State, then off to Utah State where he has the Aggies at 25-5 and ranked in the top 25 in his first year where expectations were definitely not high, now possibly back to his home state of Washington for a P6-1=5 job? Spokane just 75 miles from his hometown. Curious to see how he does at Washington because If I were Danny, that Zags job would be at the top of my list once Few retires. 

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Wow. What a journey for Danny Sprinkle the last 5 years: head coach at his Alma mater Montana State, then off to Utah State where he has the Aggies at 25-5 and ranked in the top 25 in his first year where expectations were definitely not high, now possibly back to his home state of Washington for a P6-1=5 job? Spokane just 75 miles from his hometown. Curious to see how he does at Washington because If I were Danny, that Zags job would be at the top of my list once Few retires. 

I think long term UW is a better job than Zags. Just more alumni support, more money, bigger conference.  What the Zags have done is amazing but if it lasts past Few I'll be surprised.

billikens747, JMM28 and Zink like this

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think long term UW is a better job than Zags. Just more alumni support, more money, bigger conference.  What the Zags have done is amazing but if it lasts past Few I'll be surprised.

Definitely agree P5 has more resources than Gonzaga. Long term though, I fully expect the Zags to be playing in a P5 conference. UW is definitely a great job but I get the impression it’s more of a football school. Parlaying that UW job into a better P5 job > Gonzaga job. 

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Definitely agree P5 has more resources than Gonzaga. Long term though, I fully expect the Zags to be playing in a P5 conference. UW is definitely a great job but I get the impression it’s more of a football school. 

The only P5 conference (after the PAC 12 disintegrates) that they could be in is the Big East.  No football will keep them out of the others.

1 hour ago, TRN said:

The only P5 conference (after the PAC 12 disintegrates) that they could be in is the Big East.  No football will keep them out of the others.

We’ll see, I wouldn’t rule anything out at this point. It’s not like BE would be bad move. National Championships this century: BE 6, P12/B10 1.  Again, just personal opinion but to me a basketball-centric school with a foundation of 2 decades of success would be more appealing to me than a middle-of-the-road P5 school. Especially If that school was in my backyard. But money talks and it would definitely be a gamble.

Assuming Sprinkle has lot of success at U Dub then the next step would be a top P5 job which is clearly a better landing spot than Gonzaga. 

10 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

We’ll see, I wouldn’t rule anything out at this point. It’s not like BE would be bad move. National Championships this century: BE 6, P12/B10 1.  Again, just personal opinion but to me a basketball-centric school with a foundation of 2 decades of success would be more appealing to me than a middle-of-the-road P5 school. Especially If that school was in my backyard. But money talks and it would definitely be a gamble.

Assuming Sprinkle has lot of success at U Dub then the next step would be a top P5 job which is clearly a better landing spot than Gonzaga. 

If Sprinkle has success at UW he won’t leave. UW Is a major athletic school in a very major conference. They may not be in the blue blood category, but they ain’t exactly chopped liver either. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If Sprinkle has success at UW he won’t leave. UW Is a major athletic school in a very major conference. They may not be in the blue blood category, but they ain’t exactly chopped liver either. 

And they will be a Big Ten team, you don’t leave that for a basketball only school.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Good point. I somehow simultaneously know UW is moving to the B10 but also forget they’re moving to the B10  

1 hour ago, TRN said:

And they will be a Big Ten team, you don’t leave that for a basketball only school.

Yeah I guess that was a pretty bad take on my part. Boy is my face red. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Good timing, SLU hires Schertz he does well in 3-4 years gets hired  away by a Blue Blood we replace him with McCollum after he does well at SMS. Keep the machine going.

Long range planning

2 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Porter Moser to DePaul?

I hope so as a Texas fan I hate seeing Moser who I like at DePaul.  But as a Texas fan he's 0-6 vs Texas so that's nice too 

Can't blame him for wanting out of OK

9 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

Porter Moser to DePaul?

A coach leaving KenPom’s top-ranked college basketball conference a year after an at-large bid to take a coaching position at a basketball-only school where coaches seem to go to die? Some on here would say impossible. 

Updated List:
School Conference Former Coach New Coach
Bryant America East Jared Grasso Phil Martelli, Jr
Cal Poly Big West John Smith TBD
Central Arkansas ASUN Anthony Boone TBD
Charleston Southern Big South Barclay Radebaugh Saah Nimley
Coastal Carolina Sun Belt Cliff Ellis Justin Gray
DePaul Big East Tony Stubblefield Matt Brady (INTERIM)
Detroit Mercy Horizon Mike Davis TBD
Fairfield MAAC Jay Young Chris Casey (INTERIM)
Houston Christian Southland Ron Cottrell TBD
IUPUI Horizon Matt Crenshaw TBD
Loyola Maryland Patriot League Tavaras Hardy TBD
Missouri State Missouri Valley Dana Ford TBD
Ohio State Big Ten Chris Holtmann Jake Diebler (INTERIM)
Old Dominion Sun Belt Jeff Jones Mike Jones
Pacific WCC Leonard Perry TBD
Pepperdine WCC Lorenzo Romar TBD
Southern Illinois Missouri Valley Bryan Mullins TBD
UIC Horizon League Luke Yaklich TBD
Washington Big Ten Mike Hopkins  
West Virginia Big 12 Bob Huggins Josh Eilert (INTERIM)
Western Carolina SoCon Justin Gray TBD
William & Mary CAA Dane Fischer TBD