Transfers - 2024

ACE

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

That hurts. Hope slu and Dayton can dominate the next 3 years. Think they can use each other to get to big east. 

Worked for butler after we waxed them three times in one season…

We are not the only school playing for keeps in the A10 and that is a good thing. Strong teams that earn at-large bids are good for the A10 and good for us. It helps our strength of schedule, potential  quad 1 wins, attendance and creates more games with national  appeal. And, if a new conference were to emerge, Dayton is a likely partner. So I like a strong Dayton and a stronger A10. The whole idea behind a greatly improved Billiken program is that we can play and beat tournament level teams. I would love to see us beat a ranked Dayton tem 3 times next year!

I generally  don't do a review on a player unless they are coming for a visit or a reputable source has the prospect as a finalist (top 3).  And I especially try to avoid players we have lost to other teams. In the case of Posh,   I am going to make an exception because ...1) He was a player the computer liked  AND  2)  He is going to Day  a team we will be battling with for a top spot in the A10.

On the Offensive side he was not quite the Schertz ideal player but on the defensive side he could have been the defensive guard Stu mentioned we were looking for. 

First let's look at the report card....He has a full stat sheet...with a full sample size in almost every category (exceot 3P shooting... only the last year did he make the cut)

C- / C- / C / B+...FG /2P / 3P / FT

Asts...........A+...59th ITN...a good fit here

Stls..........A+.....16th ITN

Ast/TO ....A-...an OT side note here...Meadows (you remember him) finished with an A+ in this category...83rd ITN

Bottom line ...Posh will be another thorn in the thorn bush (Day). The good news is we will be better equipped to deal with Day this year than last and will have a better chance at beating them.  As for prospects, their are still many good ones that are left in the portal  as good as Posh or better  ...would that make them  "more Posh" ?

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I generally  don't do a review on a player unless they are coming for a visit or a reputable source has the prospect as a finalist (top 3).  And I especially try to avoid players we have lost to other teams. In the case of Posh,   I am going to make an exception because ...1) He was a player the computer liked  AND  2)  He is going to Day  a team we will be battling with for a top spot in the A10.

On the Offensive side he was not quite the Schertz ideal player but on the defensive side he could have been the defensive guard Stu mentioned we were looking for. 

First let's look at the report card....He has a full stat sheet...with a full sample size in almost every category (exceot 3P shooting... only the last year did he make the cut)

C- / C- / C / B+...FG /2P / 3P / FT

Asts...........A+...59th ITN...a good fit here

Stls..........A+.....16th ITN

Ast/TO ....A-...an OT side note here...Meadows (you remember him) finished with an A+ in this category...83rd ITN

Bottom line ...Posh will be another thorn in the thorn bush (Day). The good news is we will be better equipped to deal with Day this year than last and will have a better chance at beating them.  As for prospects, their are still many good ones that are left in the portal  as good as Posh or better  ...would that make them  "more Posh" ?

Ouch.  That’s a nice get.

It’s probably pretty obvious at this point based on who they signed that Holmes isn’t coming back.  

10 hours ago, wgstl said:

It’s probably pretty obvious at this point based on who they signed that Holmes isn’t coming back.  

I agree he likely is gone.  I have seen one mock draft where he is the last pick in round 1, and most mocks have him a second rounder.  He has declared for the draft, but he hasn't entered the portal.  So he either goes pro or he goes back to Dayton.  He has not made any public announcement of his intentions, per David Jablonski the Daily Dayton News Flyer beat writer.

But he was fairly quite last season also when he filed for the draft. 

The one way he could return to Dayton is a not so stellar NBA Combine performance coupled with a substantial NIL package.  This year's Draft has been labeled as somewhat weak, so that could enter into the equation.  Players have until mid-June to withdraw from the Draft.

Dayton's lineup right now is Malachi Smith returning from injury, Javon Bennett, Enoch Cheeks, Posh Alexander, Nate Santos, Isaac Jack, and Zed Key.  The first four are point guards and only Cheeks goes over six feet.  Long way to go in the Gem City.

Holmes does nothing for me.  He has little game outside five feet so it's always dunks and putbacks.  Sure, he took and made more three pointers this year but he had to do that to offer proof to the NBA he had more.  He does not.  Obi Toppin had a better exterior game and he's been a mediocre first rounder since drafted.  DaRon is going to trade the Step van Bussels and Rocus Jocuis' of the A10 for Karl Anthony Townes, the Joker, Rudy Gobert, and Anthony Davis.  Sorry --- I don't think so.

Holmes has been the best of the A10 for two or three years but that isn't saying much given the dearth of comparable big men in the conference.  

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Dayton's lineup right now is Malachi Smith returning from injury, Javon Bennett, Enoch Cheeks, Posh Alexander, Nate Santos, Isaac Jack, and Zed Key.  The first four are point guards and only Cheeks goes over six feet.  Long way to go in the Gem City.

Holmes does nothing for me.  He has little game outside five feet so it's always dunks and putbacks.  Sure, he took and made more three pointers this year but he had to do that to offer proof to the NBA he had more.  He does not.  Obi Toppin had a better exterior game and he's been a mediocre first rounder since drafted.  DaRon is going to trade the Step van Bussels and Rocus Jocuis' of the A10 for Karl Anthony Townes, the Joker, Rudy Gobert, and Anthony Davis.  Sorry --- I don't think so.

Holmes has been the best of the A10 for two or three years but that isn't saying much given the dearth of comparable big men in the conference.  

Obi’s had a resurrection of sorts at Indy. If Holmes does return I’d see UD as the A10 fave. VCU seems to be hurt by the portal so far. Davidson has made some moves, but who knows. Can you, who studies the A10, give us your thoughts as to who appears to have benefited the most when all the dust settles? 

Fraz likes this

As of yesterday there were 38 open scholarships in the A10.  Only Loyola and GW are full.  So a lot is still to be determined.  But I agree with @wgstl that Loyola has a good portal class.  Reynolds is coming back so St. Joe will be good.  GW has their young core returning as well as a few nice portal picks.  Duquesne has a highly rated portal class also.  St. Bonnie has 5 and VCU has 6 open scholarships, so they could make significant additions. VCU had a commit de-commit today.  More money from S. Carolina.

With significant additions for just about every A10 team, chemistry will be critical. 

@slu72: I'll do my best but will refrain from anything until the rosters have been set.  Hoosier give a nice composite above and the bottom line will be how quickly a team builds chemistry and how they compete in their OOC schedule.  A10 teams have a tendency to play absolutely no one (not their fault) and compile gaudy OOC records.  Some teams will now use this time to find the rotation ---- much like Duquesne did last year.  It's not the same anymore, just like it was different for Ford dealing with the portal and NIL.  

9 hours ago, Taj79 said:

6'11 All American who makes 50% of shots from catch and shoot & shoots 38% from 3.  Yeah he sucks.  

Obi was drafted into an awful situation in NY and injuries have hurt him.  He and Holmes are completely different players.  I expect Holmes to be a solid big man in the NBA for years to come.

As the Bills player acquisition situation  has cooled a bit  in recent days , I thought I would ask the computer who it liked. In other words, ...Who is available that would best fit The Bills/ Schertz system?

Answer ...Chaz Lanier SG from N Fla...6'4...175.....has played 4 years there( 1 yr remaining)...current teams that are reported to have interest ...KY , Tenn , BYU.

This guy is a Majerus type player (180+ slash) checking in at 183.....

51/ 60.3/ 44/ 88 =   A+ / A+/ A+ (66 ITN) / A+ (53rd ITN) =   FG/ 2P / 3P/ FT plus 4.8 rpg.

He would be a good get....The point is there are still plenty of good players available at this time.

41 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s a great article on what Coach Schertz is thinking as he tries to fill out the roster. Yes, it’s behind a paywall.

Hard to comment and appreciate when you can't open it.  No use posting such when it's not readable by the post dispatch.

If it's that important for us mbm's to read, cut and paste the article please.

almaman likes this