Transfers - 2024

ACE

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Who has Loyola and GW brought in that’s impressing everyone?

I looked at Verbal Commits Transfers for the following; I don't know anything about the metric used to valuate each player.  If you are curious about the metric, contact SBUnfurled.

GW: Castro, 6'11" F Providence, Hansen 6'9" C Cornell, and Moss 6'3" PG William & Mary

Loyola: DeLoach 6'9" F Georgia (2 yrs at VCU), Moore 6'3" PG Drexel, and Nwaokorie 6'7" F UC San Diego.

You would need to get their stats from previous schools.  The only one I am familiar with without looking anything up is DeLoach.  First, he was on Schertz recruit list, and second he was pretty good at VCU.  At Georgia he was a bench player.

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

We have in the team 3 returning players that we have all seen play. The question here is not whether or not they can play, but how much they will improve under Schertz. Then we have the two from ISU both of who we recognize as key players with the Schertz system. Then we have Pikaar and McCottry, freshmen and totally unknown in terms of their play. I think that Schertz is likely to get the majority of the remaining players from the same unknown group of freshmen players. I doubt that he is going to pick a large number of well known players for this season, maybe one or two more tops.

This will show, hopefully to our total satisfaction, just how good Schertz is at both selecting players, developing them in a short time and playing them. This is promises to be a very interesting season.

39 minutes ago, laker119 said:

IMG_4691.thumb.jpeg.df41f86b267252caa5012eb3146bd026.jpeg

Let’s get this Tuesday started off right.  Former top 100 recruit, Whitney Young in Chicago grad.

In Schertz we trust but on paper this guy doesn’t move the needle. 
That said lots of spots to fill and 6’8 depth is never a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m ok with HCJS taking a few shots on some former highly ranked recruits transferring down a level. You never know if they’re gonna be Javon Bess or Ash Yacoubou.  But worth the occasional shot. 

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Question...Would Avila have moved the needle for you a couple of years ago? How about Swope a couple of years ago...a 5' 10"  170lb player?  Trust the process.

GoSluBills and RUBillsFan like this

Not a stretch 4, but looks like he has legit power forward size, listed at 6' 9" 221. Hasn't played much for Miami, but was highly  regarded out of high school. While he wouldn’t stretch the floor, if you have an inside guy who requires a double team, it leaves an open shooter on the perimeter.  It depends  on how he develops. I'm sure Schertz has explained how he fits.

18 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Question...Would Avila have moved the needle for you a couple of years ago? How about Swope a couple of years ago...a 5' 10"  170lb player?  Trust the process.

Not sure. I would need to see their stats coming out of high school to make any type of guess.

I know stats don’t tell the entire story but sometimes it’s all I have.

13 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Not sure. I would need to see their stats coming out of high school to make any type of guess.

I know stats don’t tell the entire story but sometimes it’s all I have.

Believe me , I understand data and stats but as a wise elder once said..."Trust the Force  Luke"

59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I’ll take a shot on 4 star top 100 kid that played AAU ball with Avila.  

not just building a roster with sheer talent.   looking for chemistry.  

brianstl, TheA_Bomb and BLIKNS like this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I like it. Big man who played 20+ games for an ACC team and also played in the elite 8 and final four 2 seasons ago. Not a superstar but I'm a fan

And finally a power forward with the prototypical power forward size! He had a lot of big-time programs recruiting him just two years ago. Pus, he would have received quality coaching at Miami, spent two years in an ACC strength and conditioning program, and competed against some dudes day in and day out. I think this is the profile of transfer we should expect to see a lot of for programs at the level of SLU.

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Exactly we need guys that are culture fits, if Avila knows him and likes his work ethic.  Or a coach is familiar that matters.  Can't be a C. Gordon with all the talent but a malcontent.

We need guys willing to buy into a system, share the ball and play hard.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I guess it’s been too long for most to remember how Majerus built his rosters. Everyone is enamored with what a kid is ranked at 17 and not what he projects to do in a system. 

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

And finally a power forward with the prototypical power forward size! He had a lot of big-time programs recruiting him just two years ago. Pus, he would have received quality coaching at Miami, spent two years in an ACC strength and conditioning program, and competed against some dudes day in and day out. I think this is the profile of transfer we should expect to see a lot of for programs at the level of SLU.

Good point about the strength and conditioning program. Casey is listed at 6-9....going into his senior year of high school, he weighed 180 pounds...now he's listed at 220...takes time to blossom in a body that has changed that much.

billiken_roy likes this

Just throwing out a couple of names - because I know Schertz needs my help with recruiting.

What about Brickus or Brantley from LaSalle? Each very productive A-10 players on a team with a poor supporting class and no bigs - they've never played with a big like Avila.  Both are very similar - good assist totals and can score. Brickus is smaller, but was more efficient, 3rd team A-10 pick. Brantley is bigger and has nice rebounding totals for a guard. Not sure how each plays defense. I think one of these guys could thrive here.

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Check out Ryan Conwell's stats and South Florida or Jayson's Kent's stats at Bradley.  We'd have been very underwhelmed to add those type of guys.

Zink likes this

From the sounds of it, Brickus is playing a masterful game of chess leveraging A10 teams against one another only to go P5 to the highest bidder. He's not coming here.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

this guy will probably have a ton of high major interest, but seems like a Schertz type player. 6’8” stat sheet stuffing guard. 

This guy looks like he'll be a stud... would be wild to land him. Too perfect tbh.

dazedandconfused likes this