Transfers - 2024

ACE

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

watching indiana state in the NIT, i got the impression shertz was all about scoring and dared his opponent to outscore them.   defense was secondary.   this is the one aspect of shertz that concerns me.   

but i remember a billiken club meeting with soderberg where he said, he valued defense first and offense was secondary.   this his offense slowed down the pace.   i got the impression it was an effort to "rest" his team.   i didnt like that at all. 

before i die, i want to see a billiken team that goes all out on both ends.   it can be done.   plenty of teams play hard on both ends.   remember the Huggins cincy teams in our Conference USA days.   our how about shaka's VCU teams playing Havoc defense and their defense would lead to fast break opportunities.   of course there was the tark UNLV days, or the Loyola Marymount days.   it can be done.   and if it comes together, it will be glorious and Chaifetz will become the hottest sports ticket in St. Louis.  

Statistically Indiana state had the number 1 defensive efficancy in the valley. 

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

watching indiana state in the NIT, i got the impression shertz was all about scoring and dared his opponent to outscore them.   defense was secondary.   this is the one aspect of shertz that concerns me.   

but i remember a billiken club meeting with soderberg where he said, he valued defense first and offense was secondary.   this his offense slowed down the pace.   i got the impression it was an effort to "rest" his team.   i didnt like that at all. 

before i die, i want to see a billiken team that goes all out on both ends.   it can be done.   plenty of teams play hard on both ends.   remember the Huggins cincy teams in our Conference USA days.   our how about shaka's VCU teams playing Havoc defense and their defense would lead to fast break opportunities.   of course there was the tark UNLV days, or the Loyola Marymount days.   it can be done.   and if it comes together, it will be glorious and Chaifetz will become the hottest sports ticket in St. Louis.  

Statistically Indiana state had the number 1 defensive efficancy in the valley. 

Aquinas and Littlebill like this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

He's not good offensively no matter the system. Great defender though.

I'm not on Trilly's discount, but don't know where the Roddie Anderson stuff is coming from.  Best I can tell, nothing on Twitter linking him to SLU and none of the coaches are following him.

That being said, I think adding a defensive minded guard makes a lot of sense with our current roster makeup.  We know that our 3 likely biggest minute guys (Avila, Swope, Gibson) are more offensive minded players.  Thames & Hughes profile as guys who could be good on defense, but that wasn't really the case last season when our team defense was awful.  I don't know about Dotzler or McCottry.  In any event, adding a guard who can play lock-down defense seems like it could be more beneficial than another scoring guard.

27 minutes ago, ACE said:

I like these transfer videos that are out there - including captions with stats. 

That is a nice video. He seems very athletic. So I asked the computer for a report card.  The slash reads as follows FG/2P/3P/FT. Also it printed out 2 report cards.  The first one is a UCSD 2023. The 2nd is a Boise St. 2024. The reason it printed out 2 was because the UCSD was a full sample size across the slash.  The second one is a small sample size across the slash...in the end not much difference.

UC SD........F- / F- / F- / B-

Boise St.....F- / F- / F- / F-

The rest of the stats were underwhelming...rebs 3 -3.8...assists not bad but were canceled out by TOs and a decent steal rate of 1.2.  Pts =13.1 UCSD ...6.5 BSU. Not to mention all stats were the same or worse  in the second year....trending down.

So with all that in the hopper, I asked the computer ...Would you take this guy?

The computer answered...Yes ..he would be a good 10-13th player.  He might take the spot knowing he is a top 5(aren't they all) and we would take him as an experienced roster filler with a "who knows what might happen attitude".

Brickus to Nova.

Jack Clark back in the A-10 to VCU. I thought a player like that might fit the mold of a Schertz player. Although he's taken a bunch of 3s in his career, he doesn't make them a very good rate.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not on Trilly's discount, but don't know where the Roddie Anderson stuff is coming from.  Best I can tell, nothing on Twitter linking him to SLU and none of the coaches are following him.

That being said, I think adding a defensive minded guard makes a lot of sense with our current roster makeup.  We know that our 3 likely biggest minute guys (Avila, Swope, Gibson) are more offensive minded players.  Thames & Hughes profile as guys who could be good on defense, but that wasn't really the case last season when our team defense was awful.  I don't know about Dotzler or McCottry.  In any event, adding a guard who can play lock-down defense seems like it could be more beneficial than another scoring guard.

I am, and there isn't anything on there as far as I can tell. I think the only thing linking us with him is @brianstl's post

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

4 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Interesting strategy. Surprised the school doesn’t pick up his hotel stays or has a corporate/university code partnership with Marriott to lessen the financial load. 

They are paying for his hotel stays - his point was that he won't get the points since he is not traveling.  School pays but he gets the points.

1 hour ago, Slufan10 said:

Cam'Ron Fletcher just entered the portal. Would love to have him!! Also Davion Bradford and Mario McKinney Jr. are in the portal.

Fletcher has actually been solid in limited minutes on very talented teams, while the other two have been unimpressive throughout their college careers. 

He’d bring elite athleticism, great rebounding, and above average defensive chops. Plus it’s always nice to have more locals, all else being equal. 

4 minutes ago, Zink said:

Fletcher has actually been solid in limited minutes on very talented teams, while the other two have been unimpressive throughout their college careers. 

He’d bring elite athleticism, great rebounding, and above average defensive chops. Plus it’s always nice to have more locals, all else being equal. 

He has had two unfortunate season ending knee injuries in two years.  

12 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

So he has either 2 or 3 more years left. 

Possibly 3.  Covid year 20-21 he played 9 games at Kentucky

21-22 he played 29 games at FSU

22-23, 10 of 32 games at FSU due to Dec 3 injury

23-24, 7 of 30 games at FSU due to Dec 2 injury