Transfers - 2024

ACE

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I donated enough to cover a few pairs of Robbie Avila goggles.  I'm basically a Chaifetz now. Probably private jet to the home opener (Honda Pilot).

stmdragons likes this

49 minutes ago, slu72 said:

What are we down to, 5 returnees? A lot of work to do for Coach Schertz. 

Just bodies pretty much leaving.  Id fight for jimmerson the rest, meh.

thatskablamo and AGB91 like this

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Travis Ford clearly could not coach up  our current roster.  I would be very interested in seeing what Coach Schertz could do with them.

The whole roster is essentially gone.  Depends on how you take that ... good or bad.  But one thing is certain, there will be no "he was a Travis Ford recruit" excuses as next year unfolds.  

NextYearBill likes this

1 hour ago, SLUMS81 said:

Travis Ford clearly could not coach up  our current roster.  I would be very interested in seeing what Coach Schertz could do with them.

I wouldn’t.  Start over fresh and move on with a few exceptions.

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

100% agree. I wish every one of them well in their basketball and college careers, but no one else besides Gibson is a good fit for the new system. Move/cut without the ball and elite passing and shooting--that is what is needed for all 5 positions. 

I really think Gibby, Curcic, and Thames (if he improves his shooting) are the only ones who could realistically fit into Schertz’s system.  Hughes is too selfish with the ball, and in love with the mid range, which Schertz despises. I guess those things could be unlearned, but I don’t know if it’s worth it. Might sound harsh, but we need to rid ourselves of almost all of the Travis Ford era. Talk about a roster filled with a bunch of different parts that never made any sense. 

slufan13 likes this

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

I really think Gibby, Curcic, and Thames (if he improves his shooting) are the only ones who could realistically fit into Schertz’s system.  Hughes is too selfish with the ball, and in love with the mid range, which Schertz despises. I guess those things could be unlearned, but I don’t know if it’s worth it. Might sound harsh, but we need to rid ourselves of almost all of the Travis Ford era. Talk about a roster filled with a bunch of different parts that never made any sense. 

Posting without looking at the stats bites me again, didn’t realize Thames was 36% from 3. With his athleticism and ability to get to the rim, there’s a spot for him if he wants to stay.  

HoosierPal and cgeldmacher like this

20 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

The Hughes family transcends the Travis Ford era. And Curcic and Thames aren't any more deserving of a spot than LHJ is. I hope Schertz sees a place for him.

25 minutes ago, Compton said:

The Hughes family transcends the Travis Ford era. And Curcic and Thames aren't any more deserving of a spot than LHJ is. I hope Schertz sees a place for him.

If coach wants to keep LHJ for reasons beyond just basketball talent, I understand, but Thames has an entirely different level of athleticism.   

40 minutes ago, davidnark said:

If coach wants to keep LHJ for reasons beyond just basketball talent, I understand, but Thames has an entirely different level of athleticism.   

I don’t get the narrative that Hughes wouldn’t fit in Schertz’s system. Good 3 point shooter,good defender. Won’t have to handle the ball as much. Not a knock on Thames but I see him as a better fit. I know Thames had better 3 point numbers but it was a small sample on mostly open shots. 

5 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t get the narrative that Hughes wouldn’t fit in Schertz’s system. Good 3 point shooter,good defender. Won’t have to handle the ball as much. Not a knock on Thames but I see him as a better fit. I know Thames had better 3 point numbers but it was a small sample on mostly open shots. 

LHJ, shot 35% from 3, which is very average for a D1 combo guard. He was also a starter on one of the worst defensive teams in the country. I don't recall him shutting down anyone, and he didn't light up the steal stats, so I am not sold on the good defender narrative. 

11 minutes ago, davidnark said:

LHJ, shot 35% from 3, which is very average for a D1 combo guard. He was also a starter on one of the worst defensive teams in the country. I don't recall him shutting down anyone, and he didn't light up the steal stats, so I am not sold on the good defender narrative. 

We all think Gibson is a great shooter. What was his percentage. Not much better than Hughes. Our lack of an inside game limited open 3’s. Larry was usually given the top defensive assignment. Yes I know this was by default. We were a terrible defensive team because we couldn’t protect the rim. Too much help vs guarding the line . This is my biggest Ford defensive criticism. I am not trying to make him sound like an All American but I think he would be a strong rotation player. 

cgeldmacher likes this

34 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Any loss on the French guy? Any SLU players leaving now I assume got the talk from shertz already. Gibson being there today gives me hope he stays. Nothing wrong with a complete rebuild, and the isu players plus 3 solid transfers is a good roster 

Loved Gibby was there.  I really hope he’s stays.  Deep down I think he will.

Cement the SLU legacy as an all time great and win some games in the new system on the way out