Transfers - 2024

ACE

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be incredible if all 5 starters become Billikens. Would like Hughes, Thames, and GibJim to stay, and see what develops with the rest of the roster. Exciting time to be a Billken fan!!

I would expect we would know in a few days, maybe by the end of this week. Typically when a player follows a coach, it seems to happen very quickly. If any of these players are still on the market next week, we can take that as a sign that they are shopping around and not likely to follow Schertz.

TheChosenOne likes this

8 minutes ago, Ibruce said:

From Trilly:

Indiana State Transfers

Avila and Swope are locked in to go with Schertz

Kent more than likely going

Waiting for more info on Larry

Conwell has the biggest market and will likely test it before deciding

Damn it! He's a fun player to watch. If it doesn't happen for us, Gibby would be a hell of a good Plan B.

Hopefully Conwell factors in that he thrived under Schertz.

45 minutes ago, ACE said:

Damn it! He's a fun player to watch. If it doesn't happen for us, Gibby would be a hell of a good Plan B.

Hopefully Conwell factors in that he thrived under Schertz.

Conwell is already a 2X transfer, so it isn't surprising he is looking around and see what is out there $$ wise.

15 hours ago, davidnark said:

LHJ, shot 35% from 3, which is very average for a D1 combo guard. He was also a starter on one of the worst defensive teams in the country. I don't recall him shutting down anyone, and he didn't light up the steal stats, so I am not sold on the good defender narrative. 

I could not like your post, so I had to do it this way.  Agree with everything you said.  I don't think that Hughes is as good defensively as the MBM narrative.  That being said, I also think he's a better three point shooter than he showed last year.  I think he's staying, so my hope is that he buys fully into Schertz's system, stops taking bad shots, and becomes a much better player.  I've said it many time before, Hughes elite skill is three point shooting.  That is what he has shown since high school.  Yet, he has moments, many of them last season, where he thinks he needs to be his dad.  If he just lets the three point opportunities come to him, as they will under Schertz's offense, we will like the results a lot better next year.

Tough few days for the Sycamores.  Getting hit with the hard reality of modern college basketball.  It sucks and I would actually feel sorry for them if their board wouldn't have been such A$$es about everything over the past week or so.  It is a fan base that was completely detached from reality.  This all would have still happened even if Schertz would have stayed.  That is why he knew he had to get out of there now and he was as nice as possible about it.

Bizziken, TheDude and Fraz like this

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Tough few days for the Sycamores.  Getting hit with the hard reality of modern college basketball.  It sucks and I would actually feel sorry for them if their board wouldn't have been such A$$es about everything over the past week or so.  It is a fan base that was completely detached from reality.  This all would have still happened even if Schertz would have stayed.  That is why he knew he had to get out of there now and he was as nice as possible about it.

A few thoughts on ISU and the internet:

- I haven't gone over to the ISU message boards. I'm sure some of it has been nasty but it's to be expected.

- Fan bases don't speak as one unified voice and definitionally anyone that posts a lot on a message board is going to be an outlier. Taken further, if all you do is read the loudest, most obnoxious voices in a group that is already loud an obnoxious (i.e. internet posters) you are going to get a bad view of that fanbase/group.

- I've seen a lot of people on this board and twitter over the past few weeks say something along the lines "I/we won't react poorly if this happens to us in a few years because it means we will have had a great couple of years." I think that's complete B.S. If the same thing was happening to us that is happening to them, people would be naturally pissed and it only takes 5% of the posters to make an entire fanbase look crazy. Is Billikens.com and Billiken twitter really so unified in thought that 5% of this board couldn't make us look stupid and unreasonable???