GDT: SLU v. Dayton

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

Sometimes people don’t post because they’re, you know, watching the game. 

There are plenty of people who are prolific posters when the Bills are getting crushed but go strangely silent, or nearly so, when the Bills are winning or, especially when they are exceeding expectations. 

AGB91 and slufanskip like this

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Parker not playing sucked but I can understand it. Sore? Tired? Hurt? 

Not playing a big and giving Holmes gimmies? That one is tough to explain. 

From the post-game interview, sounds like Ford was upset with their shot selection, especially the forced shots at the rim. 

2 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Sometimes people don’t post because they’re, you know, watching the game. 

Or maybe have better things to do. Or maybe watching on a stream on the laptop and you post have to stop watching. But whatever, so weird to flex on posters for being silent during a close loss.

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Or maybe have better things to do. Or maybe watching on a stream on the laptop and you post have to stop watching. But whatever, so weird to flex on posters for being silent during a close loss.

Yeah exactly. It’s weird to track people’s posting habits. I used to love being super active in GDTs, until I realized I was missing large chunks of the game by posting. Everyone does it their own way, and I’m certainly not judging how anyone is or isn’t posting. 

1 minute ago, MariaReynolds said:

There are plenty of people who are prolific posters when the Bills are getting crushed but go strangely silent, or nearly so, when the Bills are winning or, especially when they are exceeding expectations. 

Ferret them out they must not be real fans like you.

How many Ford fans go strangely silent when the team is losing?

What a great game. Such effort. Nearly won. Ranked team. Won the first half. (is that what you wanted?)

Stop being a Ford fan be a Billiken fan.

14 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

This team played their guts out. Down five with under a minute left to the #21 team in the country on their home floor where they virtually never lose.  A handful posters were consistently positive.  And yet many (most?) of the rest were just salivating for a Billiken meltdown - so obvious.  WTF?!?!  Is this not YOUR team?  And a bunch of "regular" posters were pretty silent which one can only assume was because the Billikens weren't getting destroyed.  

The snark from the MBAs every time the Bills made a mistake was disgusting.  There are a lot of us who still support this team. And many of us are the ones the others talk about - the ones writing the big checks. But a lot of us are sick of the MBAs on this board.  If you really hate Travis and the team THAT much, go post on the opponents board.  Let those who support the team enjoy reasonable discussion (at least in GDTs) about the team we love and support regardless of who the coach or AD is. 

What’s encouraging is this team has heart and doesn’t give up. 

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Game Day Threads and possibly message boards in general aren't for you. Check out every single game day thread on every single message board they're all like this over the top.

Anyway, your frustration is not with us. It's really with Ford. If you're a SLU fan you're not a Ford fan. Anyone with basic understanding of basketball can see he's not the answer at SLU.

I don't give a flying fuq if you or the Pope are tired of me and other posters. We're the most engaged fans you'll find. We're right you're wrong. We will continue until they're fired or SLU starts winning for real.

PS fire Ford fire May

You're dead wrong on this.  You think you know what engagement with this program is, but you're mistaking that with hyper-activity on social media.  

You weren't like this 15+ years ago. Not sure what happened to you. 

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Game Day Threads and possibly message boards in general aren't for you. Check out every single game day thread on every single message board they're all like this over the top.

Anyway, your frustration is not with us. It's really with Ford. If you're a SLU fan you're not a Ford fan. Anyone with basic understanding of basketball can see he's not the answer at SLU.

I don't give a flying fuq if you or the Pope are tired of me and other posters. We're the most engaged fans you'll find. We're right you're wrong. We will continue until they're fired or SLU starts winning for real.

PS fire Ford fire May

if you are referring to me, pay me no mind in the GDT.  I either have us winning the final 4 or getting relegated to D2.  It just happens that when our defense is kenpom 250+, you get more of the latter.  

we are about to play in the PiG of a one bid conference.  What are we supposed to be supportive and positive about here.  If you are a positive fan at this point, I conclude that your main team must be the cardinals or something. 

The ride or dies like abomb, 05, Roy, Taj, desert, JMM, franchise, etc are all completely aligned.  The results are unacceptable and there needs to be accountability as soon as possible.  

SLU_Lax likes this

Just now, MariaReynolds said:

You're dead wrong on this.  You think you know what engagement with this program is, but you're mistaking that with hyper-activity on social media.  

I'm not on any social media unless you count this message board.

15 years ago SLU was spending LaSalle level money playing vs better teams. Now we're getting La Salle results spending near the top in the conference. The conference is worse than it's ever been.

So the demands are legitimate. The results don't match the expenditure.

The coach can't coach.

Be a Billiken fan

This is my post. From my point of view, SLU's team made a great and incredible effort to win this game and wound up losing by only 5. They just could not beat Dayton at their home, which really was not expected to happen. I thought they made their best effort and lost by only  5 pts because it was Dayton at their home arena. I thought they did all they really could, and deserved great praise and honor from Ford. After all, some things cannot be achieved. The effort was there.

I did not see the game but listened to it. 

I cannot fathom why Ford decided to blame their poor effort in his post game talk. THIS WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO SUPPORT THE EFFORT OF A WEAK TEAM AGAINST A SUPERIOR OPPONENT.

Ford lost a great opportunity to be able to ask the team for greater effort

SLU_Lax likes this

46 minutes ago, TRN said:

So, we didn’t play Bruce or Brad the last 5 minutes or so.  Someone needs to explain how that’s a good move with Holmes taking over.  Clueless coaching, but we only lost by 5.  Put lipstick on the pig.

Unfortunately their poor decision making was killing us at that stage of the game, on both sides of the ball.  We didn't have an answer for Homes but at least TJ did enough to help cut into the deficit.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This is my post. From my point of view, the SLU's team made a great and incredible effort to win this game and wound up losing by only 5. They just could not beat Dayton at their home, which really was not expected to happen. I thought they made their best effort and lost by only  5 pts because it was Dayton at their home arena. I thought they did all they really could, and deserved great praise and honor from Ford. After all, some things cannot be achieved. The effort was there.

I did not see the game but listened to it. 

I cannot fathom why Ford decided to blame their poor effort in his post game talk. THIS WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO SUPPORT THE EFFORT OF A WEAK TEAM AGAINST A SUPERIOR OPPONENT.

Ford lost a great opportunity to be able to ask the team for greater effort

I thought he blamed bad shot selection, referring to Parker and EZ, and fumbling balls back to Dayton in situations where we should’ve had it. Jimerson and EZ’s losing control which led to Dayton baskets were crucial to the loss.

38 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

This team played their guts out. Down five with under a minute left to the #21 team in the country on their home floor where they virtually never lose.  A handful posters were consistently positive.  And yet many (most?) of the rest were just salivating for a Billiken meltdown - so obvious.  WTF?!?!  Is this not YOUR team?  And a bunch of "regular" posters were pretty silent which one can only assume was because the Billikens weren't getting destroyed.  

The snark from the MBAs every time the Bills made a mistake was disgusting.  There are a lot of us who still support this team. And many of us are the ones the others talk about - the ones writing the big checks. But a lot of us are sick of the MBAs on this board.  If you really hate Travis and the team THAT much, go post on the opponents board.  Let those who support the team enjoy reasonable discussion (at least in GDTs) about the team we love and support regardless of who the coach or AD is. 

I would never question the work ethic of the players - the guys have consistently worked their tails off this entire season and I'm grateful for every single one of them. 

But if the state of our program is celebrating losses to our biggest rival because the game was "close." Then this is a program that I, and I assume many others, don't want to be a fan of moving forward. We play the games to win. We work all season to make the tournament. We keep setting arbitrary goals (play close on the road to a ranked Dayton team, win 20 games, etc.) to make us feel okay with underachieving. 

I would have died for this program 3 years ago, now I am struggling to even pay attention. If the leadership continues to show that they are okay with mediocrity, then they will continue to lose more and more fans like myself. 

29 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

You were on this forum 15+ years ago? You joined 6 years ago this month. Wait...MariaReynolds is Shane Ford...Shane Ford is MariaReynolds...oh my GOD, MariaReynolds is a MAN.

(why can't I add the Ace Ventura plunger GIF?!)

31 minutes ago, gabriel said:

I would never question the work ethic of the players - the guys have consistently worked their tails off this entire season and I'm grateful for every single one of them. 

But if the state of our program is celebrating losses to our biggest rival because the game was "close." Then this is a program that I, and I assume many others, don't want to be a fan of moving forward. We play the games to win. We work all season to make the tournament. We keep setting arbitrary goals (play close on the road to a ranked Dayton team, win 20 games, etc.) to make us feel okay with underachieving. 

I would have died for this program 3 years ago, now I am struggling to even pay attention. If the leadership continues to show that they are okay with mediocrity, then they will continue to lose more and more fans like myself. 

The fact that we hung around all game with Parker on a minute restriction bodes well for this team going forward.  I gave a best case scenario a couple of weeks back and I think we're right on track:

QUALITY OF PLAY

Early Jan:
C+ (With a healthy Meadows and Hughes)

Mid Jan:
B- (With a 75% Parker in the lineup and a healthy Thames)

Early Feb:
B (With a 85% Parker in the lineup)

Late Feb:
B+ (With a 95% Parker in the lineup and the freshmen playing like sophomores)

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that we hung around all game with Parker on a minute restriction biodes well for this team going forward.  I gave a best case scenario a couple of weeks back and I think we're right on track:

QUALITY OF PLAY

Early Jan:
C+ (With a healthy Meadows and Hughes)

Mid Jan:
B- (With a 75% Parker in the lineup and a healthy Thames)

Early Feb:
B (With a 85% Parker in the lineup)

Late Feb:
B+ (With a 95% Parker in the lineup and the freshmen playing like sophomores)

Dayton played really bad. I wouldn’t go that far. 

44 minutes ago, MariaReynolds said:

You're likely one of Ford's relatives or "people back in Kentucky" .. i'll be very glad when Ford is gone and you are gone.

I've been watching this team for 33 years. Screw Travis Ford and screw you.

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

SLU did a lot better than I thought they would. Dayton is taking a tumble in the NET ratings.

They sucked. I watched the game and the most shocking part was just how bad Dayton was. Their shooting was just horrendous. That #0 they had was open for a reason and just kept hucking junk at the backboard. Poor shot selection. How is that team ranked? Yikes.

I'd take Meadows or Medley over what i saw of Bennett in that game. Kid is just not a good baller.

And yeah this game could well knock them out of the rankings. Horrible game for them. At home, too.

I'll also note I've never seen a failed coach carry around an actual self-fanbase like CTF does. Bunch of defensive posters on this forum with accounts made post-2016. Very telling. Romar & Sodie & even Rickma didn't have this stuff popping up.

This must be the insufferability of dealing with University of Kentucky fans. Go back to Lexington. I don't like UK. It's unsurprising to hear the kind of drivel that his defenders post on twitter considering the locale they're emanating their "stuff" from. Shameful that a university would continue to have an arena named after A. Rupp, too. Take that one home, "MariaReynolds"

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

What’s encouraging is this team has heart and doesn’t give up. 

THJ is in the running for my favorite Billiken ever. He's gritty, he's hometown, and he's just a fantastic representative of SLU and STL in general. He's also become a pretty damn good player. Chalk me down as a big-time Hargrove fan. Big part of why these guys do battle even when it's tough IMO. He makes big plays and energizes the team.

Prime problem for SLU right now is the PG play and Ezewiro's fitness. We aren't generating enough turnovers and we aren't protecting the rim like we should.

cgeldmacher likes this

This was a game we could have won.  Like in most close games there are many factors that you could point to that would change the outcome.  

When the computer misses big , it usually means something unusual or out of the ordinary has occurred .  In this game, there was an anomaly. In fact this is the 2nd time in 3 games this has happened.  The Bills lost at the foul line ....No,  this has nothing to do with a bad FT% (43% with only 3-7) .  The Bills lost because of FTAs. 

Ten days ago,  We lost to GM by 12 pts.  In that game , GM had 34 FTAs...15 extra shots...using season average FTAs plus game shooting % this resulted in an extra 12 pts for GM.  Meanwhile, The Bills only had 11 shots or 8 shots below normal resulting in 6 less pts than average....Total point swing...18 pts...or a 6 pt win over GM.

Fast forward to tonight's game against Day...The Flyers had 29 FTAs....10 more than average resulting in an extra 5 pts(Dayton shot a poor 55%). Meanwhile, The Bills were 14 FTAs below average which cost them 11 pts.  Total point swing 16pts or a Bills win by 11 changing nothing else but the FTAs.

These FTA swings are the equivalent of The Bills rolling two 12s in three attempts in a crap game. So what does this mean...were the dice loaded or was this some sort of a  basketball lightning strike?

Here is my take....It doesn't matter....The real take away is we played a 17th ranked team and played them down to the wire and lost by 5 at their place.   Six weeks ago we played Utah St which is now ranked at 20th (about the same as Day)  and again lost by 5.

Bottom line....There is no team that we can not play with.  Certainly within the A-10,  every team is beatable. home or away.  12 will not keep coming up on the dice....When those other numbers start to roll out The Bills have to be ready to play.  If  they are ready to play in a consistent (make at least their averages) and mistake free game (keep the TOs low)  they will get their share of wins.

OkieBilliken likes this

2 hours ago, MariaReynolds said:

You are purposely twisting words and making false accusations.

We all support the team. We know the players work hard.

Any evaluation of the team and program must be results based though. The results are bad considering -

We have a coach in his 8th year

We have the highest paid coach in the conference by far

We have the best facilities and highest spending in the conference

With all that how do we have the worst team in the conference?

Are you comfortable writing checks to failing institutions? If you are I can only assume you were not integral in actually acquiring any of the check writing money you have.

I support the team. I don't support losing. We were a top ten program less than ten years ago. Now we are top 230. We are in this place not because of people like me who criticize the direction of the program, but because of people like you who will blindly support the program financially no matter how poorly it is run. 

laker119, TheA_Bomb and SLU_Nick like this

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Holmes gets away with more fouls, both offensive and defensive, than anyone I can remember in the A10. 

difference in the game.  the difference in the number of total foul shots was the game.  the old basketball ref scream "call that on both ends" was evident last night.

MB73, VeniceMenace and Gremio14 like this