2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

39 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Hard to win on the road. USU saw that last night. Only loss is an overtime defeat by Bradley in Peoria.

CBB has the largest home field advantage of any sport at any level in the country.

Jimerson is easily worth 20 a night though. Billikens shooting has been historic even in Myrtle Beach. AS A TEAM we are outshooting Stephen Curry in most games.

We should start shooting in the volume Curry does.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Travis Ford would’ve embraced being a great mid major head basketball coach instead of looking at slu as a stepping stone back to a P5 job he would’ve done a lot better and maybe enjoyed it more. I just see a desperate coach screaming at the end of his rope with no where else to go now. It’s a bad situation and I do feel bad for the kids bc it’s not their fault they aren’t more talented, they were put in this position by adults hired to do a job they didn’t do well. AD and the coach. 

NextYearBill likes this

Since every post inevitably comes down to trashing Ford, I figured this was a good as spot to put this. We hear some names of coaches we’d like to see replace him. One that never gets mentioned is Chris Carawell Assoc HC at Duke and a St Louis native. Learned under Coach K and would imagine he’s been a prime recruiter for the Devils. Of course Duke is about as easy a pitch as there is. Coach knocks on door. Kid hugs him and says yes, yes, yes! But I would think if Ford goes, and I don’t think that’s gonna happen, Carrawell should at least be explored. 

9 hours ago, slu72 said:

Since every post inevitably comes down to trashing Ford, I figured this was a good as spot to put this. We hear some names of coaches we’d like to see replace him. One that never gets mentioned is Chris Carawell Assoc HC at Duke and a St Louis native. Learned under Coach K and would imagine he’s been a prime recruiter for the Devils. Of course Duke is about as easy a pitch as there is. Coach knocks on door. Kid hugs him and says yes, yes, yes! But I would think if Ford goes, and I don’t think that’s gonna happen, Carrawell should at least be explored. 

Coach K disciples don’t have a great track record as NCAA head coaches though.  There have been a ton of them and Mike Brey is the only really successful one at an A10 level or above (who isn’t currently coaching Duke).

10 hours ago, slu72 said:

I don't mind the concept but Coach K's recruiting tree isn't great as others have said. STL native is a plus.

Main thing is can he deliver players?

We need a D Sprinkle at SLU. We need someone that can bring a Great O.

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'd take the Vermont coach. Yeah yeah not from the area but he can coach. He wins.

-I've given the "not from this area" idea a little thought and with NIL, I should say a good NIL program, I think that is less of a factor than it was 5 years ago

10 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'd take the Vermont coach. Yeah yeah not from the area but he can coach. He wins.

He had a pretty messy scandal a couple of years back involving an alleged cover-up of sexual assault allegations against one of his players. I would imagine he’d have been poached by someone already if not for that. 

28 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

He had a pretty messy scandal a couple of years back involving an alleged cover-up of sexual assault allegations against one of his players. I would imagine he’d have been poached by someone already if not for that. 

Good info, yeah that's probably why.  Someone of this profile would be good but all kinds of profiles could work.  Just need the right person, right place right time.  Look at Shaka killed it at VCU, mediocre at Texas, killing it at Marquette. Early Romar was good, current Romar horrible.  Ya just don't know look for what you think you need at your school scour the landscape and make a hire.  I wonder if 4 years is still standard or could you get away with 3 year initial contract?

33 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

UMass kicked the tires on him before hiring Martin. A few articles came out from the Amherst newspapers and he was allegedly removed from consideration after negative backlash. 

258 is an insane number for this program. That's even worse than I expected. I knew it would be 200+, but that puts us on the edge of the bottom 100 teams in D-I right now.

SIUE is 253.

The next worst team in the A10 is Rhode Island at 192.

SLU would be second from the bottom in the Valley - Valpo is 291.

Here's SLU's non-conference schedule:

Southern Indiana - 333
Illinois State - 161
Wyoming - 187
Vermont - 115
Wichita State - 88
Dartmouth - 319
Utah State - 34
SIUC - 80
Drake - 56
Hofstra - 67
Louisiana Tech - 44
NC State - 53

This means SLU is a bad loss for Illinois State and Wyoming and would be a very bad loss for anyone else coming up. It also means we will be the underdog in every A10 matchup.

-how does CFord react to the now 39 point loss? on his postgame interview, which I give him credit for doing since the previous game he scurried to the tunnel, he said he has to figure out how to coach this team which to me is different than why aren't my players wired like JGood?

4 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-how does CFord react to the now 39 point loss? on his postgame interview, which I give him credit for doing since the previous game he scurried to the tunnel, he said he has to figure out how to coach this team which to me is different than why aren't my players wired like JGood?

The worst part about the Jgood reference was that Jgood wasn't some overlooked kid that just worked hard, he was a 4* top 75.

stmdragons and JMM28 like this

Perhaps the set up is complete, let them underestimate us, never see us coming !! Time to Rock 'n Roll????

AGB91 likes this

I'll guess a 1-3 finish to non-conference play. And around a 6-12 A10 mark. Which might be on the high end but it's more about the fact that I still think the A10 is awful. 

So 11 (or 12 if you count the non D1 games) wins. Maybe you grab one in Brooklyn.

Even though we all disagree with May's 20 win benchmark, this team likely isn't coming anywhere near that. 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I'll guess a 1-3 finish to non-conference play. And around a 6-12 A10 mark. Which might be on the high end but it's more about the fact that I still think the A10 is awful. 

So 11 (or 12 if you count the non D1 games) wins. Maybe you grab one in Brooklyn.

Even though we all disagree with May's 20 win benchmark, this team likely isn't coming anywhere near that. 

You Sir are an optimist. 0-4 in non-conference, 4-14 at best in the A10, first game knockout in Brooklyn. 9 wins total this year.  Hopefully I am proven wrong.

Brace for impact.  You saw the team quit. When that happens sh#t has a way of snowballing and other off court things happen/bubble up.

You're a senior doing your best and your losing coach who can't run a practice is yelling at you on TV?!? Better hope there's no skeletons in that closet because people will only take so much before they start spilling it.

It's going to get worse before it gets better Billiken fans.