I would Love to see Caleb Love come home and play for SLU

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Perhaps Justin and Larry can help with this as well

Has Justin Tatum ever shown any willingness to push his son or any of his players toward SLU?  Apart from LHJ (and I doubt it was Justin guiding him to SLU) who is the last CBC grad to play for us?  

Not being a smart a** on either question, I’m genuinely asking. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Caleb can be a really good player, he can also kill a team.  I'm on the fence(if we even have a chance)because of this.  I wonder if Ford is willing to take the risk.  this could cost him a job - could also save him.  I know this sounds obvious, but I do wonder if Ford would even take the chance 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Has Justin Tatum ever shown any willingness to push his son or any of his players toward SLU?  Apart from LHJ (and I doubt it was Justin guiding him to SLU) who is the last CBC grad to play for us?  

Not being a smart a** on either question, I’m genuinely asking. 

The Jayson situation was tricky.  While yes that would have been awesome, if he was my son and crews was the coach I'd really have to look into playing elsewhere. 

As for Love, it was known from the beginning he wanted to play at a big program, nothing could be done.  

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Love had an incredible NCAA tournament run last year & hit an iconic shot in an iconic game.  Outside of March / April 2022, he was mostly objectively bad his entire UNC career.

Career shooing line FG% - 36%, 2 pt FG% - 39.7%, 3pt FG% - 31.7%, FT% - 81.5.  With the except of the FT%, I'm guessing Wiz would tell you those are all Fs.  Career assists & rebounds are both 3.3 per game.  Career assist to T/O ratio 1.2.  

I wouldn't consider Jordan Goodwin a good shooter at all.  Here is is career line at SLU.  FG% - 42.3%, 2pt FG% - 42.3%, 3pt FG% 27.1.  I understand the competition levels are different, but IMO Love like Jordan Goodwin on offense with more volume & worse shot selection, worse finishing at the rim, better 3pt shooting, worse PG skills, and nowhere near the effort/motor & rebounding.  I'm saying Goodwin is / was a much better player overall despite being similarly inefficient on offense.  I'd take Love in a heartbeat, but acting like he's too good for SLU is a little crazy.

I don't know what is going on with Love or if we have any chance with him.

That said, if you have a real chance to get Caleb Love... You better do everything you can to get him.  I don't care about his numbers at UNC.  I know his talent and he would instantly be the best guard in the A10.  Just as important, Caleb would instantly change how recruits and college basketball players across the country view the program.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I don't know what is going on with Love or if we have any chance with him.

That said, if you have a real chance to get Caleb Love... You better do everything you can to get him.  I don't care about his numbers at UNC.  I know his talent and he would instantly be the best guard in the A10.  Just as important, Caleb would instantly change how recruits and college basketball players across the country view the program.

I agree with your second point far more than your first. For almost his entire career, Love has wavered between average to actively harmful to his team. Maybe some of that is a product of his environment, teammates, etc., but outside of a very limited window last year, there's not much in his college track record to suggest that he can be a positive player over the course of a season.

With that said, he was still a multi-year starter for a blue blood program (and a top HS recruit), so I agree that a transfer to SLU would probably generate positive headlines.

Love has shown willingness to take over games in a not good way, like Yuri.  I'm worried Ford would give Love the same treatment Yuri got, which we know was not ideal.  

The fans at any power conference school in the country will only be mildly excited about Caleb coming to their program after his performance last season.  The fans in his hometown would be over the moon if he came here.

I hope he thinks to himself that he is better off showcasing what he can do against lesser competition in the A-10 than in the grinder that is the ACC or other conferences like Big10 or Big12.

I don't think it's that crazy to believe that there is a chance he could come home to play for the Billikens.  Signing him could start the snowball rolling downhill for signing other transfers who want to come in and put together a team that can make a run in the tournament without having to fight their way through a big conference schedule (see San Diego State, FAU, Gonzaga, Princeton, etc.)

3 hours ago, gabriel said:

I wouldn't put our chances at zero. He was objectively bad this year at UNC and the fans let him know about it. Might want to go to a school where he can take 20 shots without the national pressure and develop his shot more before making a run at the league. 

Yeah, no pressure here.   Here at Billiken's com it's one big holding hands prayer group.   No animosity at all 

dennis_w, rgbilliken and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

The fans at any power conference school in the country will only be mildly excited about Caleb coming to their program after his performance last season.  The fans in his hometown would be over the moon if he came here.

I hope he thinks to himself that he is better off showcasing what he can do against lesser competition in the A-10 than in the grinder that is the ACC or other conferences like Big10 or Big12.

I don't think it's that crazy to believe that there is a chance he could come home to play for the Billikens.  Signing him could start the snowball rolling downhill for signing other transfers who want to come in and put together a team that can make a run in the tournament without having to fight their way through a big conference schedule (see San Diego State, FAU, Gonzaga, Princeton, etc.)

agreed, a love commit would put us on the map in a big way.

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Why couldn't you just post the title of this thread as a reply to the 23 portal/transfer thread tho?

Because, silly, Caleb probably only checks billikens.com a few times a day and he might have missed it if it was buried in that thread.

JMM28, Zink, Fraz and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Love had an incredible NCAA tournament run last year & hit an iconic shot in an iconic game.  Outside of March / April 2022, he was mostly objectively bad his entire UNC career.

Career shooing line FG% - 36%, 2 pt FG% - 39.7%, 3pt FG% - 31.7%, FT% - 81.5.  With the except of the FT%, I'm guessing Wiz would tell you those are all Fs.  Career assists & rebounds are both 3.3 per game.  Career assist to T/O ratio 1.2.  

I wouldn't consider Jordan Goodwin a good shooter at all.  Here is is career line at SLU.  FG% - 42.3%, 2pt FG% - 42.3%, 3pt FG% 27.1.  I understand the competition levels are different, but IMO Love like Jordan Goodwin on offense with more volume & worse shot selection, worse finishing at the rim, better 3pt shooting, worse PG skills, and nowhere near the effort/motor & rebounding.  I'm saying Goodwin is / was a much better player overall despite being similarly inefficient on offense.  I'd take Love in a heartbeat, but acting like he's too good for SLU is a little crazy.

I wasn't going to check your numbers but I noticed on your Goodwin slash you had FG% and 2P% as the same which can't be if 3P% is lower.  I am sure it was just a typo...Here is what I have for Goodwin .............42.3/47.2/ 27.1/ 58....which grades out as D+ / D / F- / F-.

Here are the grades  on Love (numbers look OK)....................................................................F- / F- / D / A+.

I agree with you on taking Love...on the chance he returns to form and starts shooting 3s again at a B level (36%)and FTs when he was ranked 91st ITN (A+)

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Love has shown willingness to take over games in a not good way, like Yuri.  I'm worried Ford would give Love the same treatment Yuri got, which we know was not ideal.  

Caleb Love can get that treatment.

3 star pass-only recruits should never 

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Caleb can be a really good player, he can also kill a team.  I'm on the fence(if we even have a chance)because of this.  I wonder if Ford is willing to take the risk.  this could cost him a job - could also save him.  I know this sounds obvious, but I do wonder if Ford would even take the chance 

Welp now you’ve done it! Any chance we had at him you just pissed away. I read on this board that recruits read this stuff and are so soft that any negativity will scare them off.

Thanks a lot!! 

wgstl likes this

13 hours ago, dlarry said:

Welp now you’ve done it! Any chance we had at him you just pissed away. I read on this board that recruits read this stuff and are so soft that any negativity will scare them off.

Thanks a lot!! 

diary...Caleb Love would be nice for SLU but you shouldn't get your hopes too high. Lot's of Power 5 U's also want him too, and in UNC he's leaving a basketball U with a whole bunch of success in their past. No substantiated rumor on any leader so far, but it will be interesting to see who wins the NIL battle for his services. 

20 hours ago, wgstl said:

It’s impossible to kill a team that is already dead