I would Love to see Caleb Love come home and play for SLU

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually thinking one might have better odds at winning the lottery than SLU getting even a visit from Caleb Love now.  No, he has many P-5 teams to choose from that will have the NIL $'s he needs to sign on the dotted line.

2 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I was actually thinking one might have better odds at winning the lottery than SLU getting even a visit from Caleb Love now.  No, he has many P-5 teams to choose from that will have the NIL $'s he needs to sign on the dotted line.

Thanks for the hot take.

Fraz likes this

Just to be clear, Tristian is a big unofficial SLU fan..  While sure it makes sense, he's always been one for bright lights.   I still give this a very small chance of happening. 

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Caleb is a CBC grad.  One of SLU's biggest donors (maybe the biggest) is a CBC grad and the biggest donor to CBC.  

Is that armored car anywhere near 8200 Forsyth?

Perhaps Justin and Larry can help with this as well

18 minutes ago, gabriel said:

I wouldn't put our chances at zero. He was objectively bad this year at UNC and the fans let him know about it. Might want to go to a school where he can take 20 shots without the national pressure and develop his shot more before making a run at the league. 

I very much agree with this. The past season has hurt Love's stock - and for a kid with NBA aspirations, I imagine he'll prioritize "fit" (i.e., being the centerpiece of an offense) over NIL. UNC fans have also (justifiability, for the most part) been tough on him throughout his career, so a friendly hometown crowd probably also works in our favor.

I would still bet on him going to a P5 team, but I don't think our odds are as hopeless as others on this thread seem to believe.

11 minutes ago, gabriel said:

I wouldn't put our chances at zero. He was objectively bad this year at UNC and the fans let him know about it. Might want to go to a school where he can take 20 shots without the national pressure and develop his shot more before making a run at the league. 

Love had an incredible NCAA tournament run last year & hit an iconic shot in an iconic game.  Outside of March / April 2022, he was mostly objectively bad his entire UNC career.

Career shooing line FG% - 36%, 2 pt FG% - 39.7%, 3pt FG% - 31.7%, FT% - 81.5.  With the except of the FT%, I'm guessing Wiz would tell you those are all Fs.  Career assists & rebounds are both 3.3 per game.  Career assist to T/O ratio 1.2.  

I wouldn't consider Jordan Goodwin a good shooter at all.  Here is is career line at SLU.  FG% - 42.3%, 2pt FG% - 42.3%, 3pt FG% 27.1.  I understand the competition levels are different, but IMO Love like Jordan Goodwin on offense with more volume & worse shot selection, worse finishing at the rim, better 3pt shooting, worse PG skills, and nowhere near the effort/motor & rebounding.  I'm saying Goodwin is / was a much better player overall despite being similarly inefficient on offense.  I'd take Love in a heartbeat, but acting like he's too good for SLU is a little crazy.

Zink and gabriel like this