Transfers - 2023

ACE

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont care if it is $17,500 this is proof we needed to be all in on Nil.   I hate this nonsense, but it is what it is and now college basketball cant put the toothpaste back in the tube.  we needed to go all in initially banking on hitting the March Jackpot with hopes that would jumpstart us to the future.   i fear this is the beginning of the end.   D3 coming in the next 10 years?

I think D3 is a bit dramatic, but I have the same fears you do.  If it is the beginning of the end for us, it is also the beginning of the end for VCU, Dayton, St. Mary's, St. Joe's, Belmont, etc.  If success is going to be directly tied to how much money your donors want to pay for a team, we're screwed and all other similar schools are screwed as well.  It doesn't matter when we decided to go all in.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how much money will it take to be competitive in the NIL game? Would 500 k a year do it?  If that would be the number why can’t it be done? You would have to raise 10 million with a 5% endowed payout. Twenty plus million was raised for the Champion Center. It seems to me an Endowment approach could be done  Raising 10 million once would be easier then raising 500k every year . I also don’t believe anybody is paying Jimmie Bell 175k.  

14 minutes ago, willie said:

So how much money will it take to be competitive in the NIL game? Would 500 k a year do it?  If that would be the number why can’t it be done? You would have to raise 10 million with a 5% endowed payout. Twenty plus million was raised for the Champion Center. It seems to me an Endowment approach could be done  Raising 10 million once would be easier then raising 500k every year . I also don’t believe anybody is paying Jimmie Bell 175k.  

500k is probably the level needed for A10, if I were a speculative man. That would retain developed starters and give a budget for a good transfer or two each year. 

there’s a good story by Andy Witry about collectives and their budgets. Like I said before, a ton of bull out there from all sides. 

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/college-basketball-transfer-portal-nil-collectives-deals-name-image-likeness/

14 minutes ago, willie said:

Ya this is why I'm confused. If SLU basketball truly has the backing of major doners like we hear about than we should be able to be very competitive. We don't have a football program to share money with... We won't be competing with Texas but we should be able to compete with schools of our level. 

32 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya this is why I'm confused. If SLU basketball truly has the backing of major doners like we hear about than we should be able to be very competitive. We don't have a football program to share money with... We won't be competing with Texas but we should be able to compete with schools of our level. 

Perhaps the major donors are not interested in putting money in a non taxable deduction fund.  They can give the money to SLU and then take the deductions but I wonder if the NIL funds can be considered a charity.

8 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya this is why I'm confused. If SLU basketball truly has the backing of major doners like we hear about then we should be able to be very competitive. We don't have a football program to share money with... We won't be competing with Texas but we should be able to compete with schools of our level. 

A major SLU donor overpaying for Yuri and watching the most disappointing season/worst team chemistry in recent memory probably plays into the situation. 

think about what lighting 6 figures on fire, then watch SLU finish 97 in the NET must feel like.   

I’d be done with donating to NIL for life if that ever happened to me. 

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Perhaps the major donors are not interested in putting money in a non taxable deduction fund.  They can give the money to SLU and then take the deductions but I wonder if the NIL funds can be considered a charity.

The Victory Fund is tax deductible. Straight out of Troy’s mouth. 

I think we all agree it Luechtefeld was running the collective we wouldn't be having this problem. 

Also no way he got $175k in Starkvegas.

13 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

A major SLU donor overpaying for Yuri and watching the most disappointing season/worst team chemistry in recent memory probably plays into the situation. 

think about what lighting 6 figures on fire, then watch SLU finish 97 in the NET must feel like.   

I mean I had some good times as a fan last year. Obviously it wasnt the year everyone expected but there were plenty of good moments (Many can be attributed to Yuri).

If that's the case though then they were never a fan to begin with. If you expect to win in sports everytime you lace em up you're due for a rude awakening. 

Maybe there aren't that many big money fans, I just remember May saying stuff along the lines of "People asking me what its going to take to make a winner here" during the new Athletic Center presser. Now you have a direct way to make a "winner".

But point taken and I don't disagree. It would be disappointing to see that money not achieve what should/could of happened.

22 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

You might be done, but someone worth $1B+ won’t be done

8 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

Frank just said he heard Jimmy got $175k to go to Miss St.

Read an article this morning where the coach of Washington State U was asked what it would cost WSU to be competitive in the PAC -12. He said $1 to $1.5 million NIL money would get you a top 50 team. 

If SLU aspires to be a Top 50 team, where will that type of coin come Fromm?  

billiken_roy likes this

How much money do you just hand over to Thames, Hughes, Hargrove, Rivera (now gone), Cisse, and Traore?  I'm ignoring Jimerson and Parker right now.  How much per man?  Say $5k?  If that were the case, wouldn't Hargrove be pissed?  Of course, realistically, he hasn't really done anything over four years to warrant that.  Even if you had $500k to $1.5 million, how are you deciding which bum to back in this race?  If I paid anything to Armando Bacot last year, I'd demand a full refund.

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

500k is probably the level needed for A10, if I were a speculative man. That would retain developed starters and give a budget for a good transfer or two each year. 

there’s a good story by Andy Witry about collectives and their budgets. Like I said before, a ton of bull out there from all sides. 

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/college-basketball-transfer-portal-nil-collectives-deals-name-image-likeness/

If "A10 level" is all we are striving for, might as well just close the doors.   We are done.   We have to act like we are going to be big-time and matching the members of the underachieving A10 isn't going to do it 

$500,000 is a fail 

Adman likes this

Don’t agree. 30 to 40 k on average should always you to recruit a very competitive roster. Lots of players out there. Changing sports I think Luther Burden got a lot of bucks. Not sure Missouri got their hoped for return. I would expect prices will come down. In my original post 500 k was just a number but I believe would be a very competitive number. 

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

If "A10 level" is all we are striving for, might as well just close the doors.   We are done.   We have to act like we are going to be big-time and matching the members of the underachieving A10 isn't going to do it 

$500,000 is a fail 

1 minute ago, willie said:

Don’t agree. 30 to 40 k on average should allow  you to recruit a very competitive roster. Lots of players out there. Changing sports I think Luther Burden got a lot of bucks. Not sure Missouri got their hoped for return. I would expect prices will come down. In my original post 500 k was just a number but I believe would be a very competitive number. 

3 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I mean I had some good times as a fan last year. Obviously it wasnt the year everyone expected but there were plenty of good moments (Many can be attributed to Yuri).

If that's the case though then they were never a fan to begin with. If you expect to win in sports everytime you lace em up you're due for a rude awakening. 

Maybe there aren't that many big money fans, I just remember May saying stuff along the lines of "People asking me what its going to take to make a winner here" during the new Athletic Center presser. Now you have a direct way to make a "winner".

But point taken and I don't disagree. It would be disappointing to see that money not achieve what should/could have happened.

North Carolina went to the title game 2 years ago, Paid all the starters and returned everyone, then missed the tournament. 

I do not agree that there is a direct way to make a winner. 

I hate NIL a lot if can’t tell.  Lol 

8 hours ago, willie said:

Don’t agree. 30 to 40 k on average should always you to recruit a very competitive roster. Lots of players out there. Changing sports I think Luther Burden got a lot of bucks. Not sure Missouri got their hoped for return. I would expect prices will come down. In my original post 500 k was just a number but I believe would be a very competitive number. 

$500K = 20-12 and 4th place in the one bid A-10 and an early spring break.   fail.

12 hours ago, willie said:

The Victory Fund is tax deductible. Straight out of Troy’s mouth. 

Interesting.  I wonder how he pulled that off.  In order to be considered tax deductible you have to show how you provide support to the community.  I understand that groups play a bit fast and loose with that all the time.  Just curious what he claims he is doing.

10 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

North Carolina went to the title game 2 years ago, Paid all the starters and returned everyone, then missed the tournament. 

I do not agree that there is a direct way to make a winner. 

I hate NIL a lot if can’t tell.  Lol 

That is exactly on point. Spend all the money you want on NIL deals for players, there is NO guarantee of an NCAA appearance or any success for that matter. A lot of people tend to forget that

Yesterday May 11 was the last day to enter the portal. However schools have 48 hours, until May 13, to submit the request to the NCAA portal. So a few more names may show up. What I found out today is that Grad Transfers can still enter. They have no May 11 deadline. 

21 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

That is exactly on point. Spend all the money you want on NIL deals for players, there is NO guarantee of an NCAA appearance or any success for that matter. A lot of people tend to forget that

Hopefully someone at Billiken HQ can understand the moneyball aspect of all of this....