ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I think Allen can Start at PF and play backup center

Agreed and I would note that we have started and played more power forward types at center under Ford. So is the thought that now that we have Dalger we would still look to add two bigs which would be a guy like Allen who is more a power forward and then more of a true 5 like a Bell?

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

Agreed and I would note that we have started and played more power forward types at center under Ford. So is the thought that now that we have Dalger we would still look to add two bigs which would be a guy like Allen who is more a power forward and then more of a true 5 like a Bell?

I hope. 

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I can buy into that. I would certainly take Ware as the more true power forward type! And Jimmy Bell really does seem like an ideal fit not knowing whether that is an option.

Ware seems like a risk.  I would love to have him in addition to another center who is likely to play. But we already have 2  questionable centers.

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Remember, presumably, Rivera could also be in the mix at the 4 along with Dalger.  Ideally, I think an experienced 5 would be a priority, plus we desperately need another combo guard. I don't think Medley and Hughes as our only ballhandlers is enough.  We had Yuri and Hughes last year and were still short another ballhandler.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Remember, presumably, Rivera could also be in the mix at the 4 along with Dalger.  Ideally, I think an experienced 5 would be a priority, plus we desperately need another combo guard. I don't think Medley and Hughes as our only ballhandlers is enough.  We had Yuri and Hughes last year and were still short another ballhandler.

Can't Noland handle the ball?

Dalger 

37.6/  40(2P)  / 35 / 67.7

Shooting grades....

F- / F- / B- /  D-

Bottom line... above average 3P guy

Kuany

35.9 /  40.1  /  29.8 / 82.3

Shooting grades...

F- / F- / F- / A+

Bottom line...Great FT shooter

3 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

Can't Noland handle the ball?

I suppose he can help a bit, but he's definitely not a facilitator.

RM taught us - the value of having a couple of stretch bigs and the value of having multiple versatile guards who can handle the ball reliably and distribute.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Remember, presumably, Rivera could also be in the mix at the 4 along with Dalger.  Ideally, I think an experienced 5 would be a priority, plus we desperately need another combo guard.

I agree with that. The 5 position needs to be the priority. I was saying if we were looking to add a 4 and 5 still I would take Ware or Allen as the 4 and Bell as the 5, but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the type of lineup we have played much under Ford.

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Dalger 

37.6/  40(2P)  / 35 / 67.7

Shooting grades....

F- / F- / B- /  D-

Bottom line... above average 3P guy

Kuany

35.9 /  40.1  /  29.8 / 82.3

Shooting grades...

F- / F- / F- / A+

Bottom line...Great FT shooter

Dalger appears to be the better rebounder and he's younger, so IMO that's why seems like a better option.

TheChosenOne likes this

23 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Leaving this here:

https://twitter.com/treyballc/status/1654139564775071744

Medley is always recruiting for SLU on twitter, so probably nothing here.  That being said Lance Ware would be a great fit IMO.  Didn't get much playing time for Kentucky, but his rate stats were pretty good.

He was stuck behind Tshiebwe and to a lesser extent Toppin.  I would definitely take a flyer on this kid and hope you get your own version of Bryce Hopkins.  

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

Dalger appears to be the better rebounder and he's younger, so IMO that's why seems like a better option.

much better rebounder. 

Just now, brianstl said:

He was stuck behind Tshiebwe and to a lesser extent Toppin.  I would definitely take a flyer on this kid and hope you get your own version of Bryce Hopkins.  

Seems like a high risk at this point.  If he doesn't pan out, we're beyond screwed unless we get Allen.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

He played a whole season after his injury - if the injury is the risk

I just don't see how a guy who couldn't start for the last three seasons on a team that wasn't as good as the Billikens is less risky than a guy that was stuck behind a two time All-American who was the best big man in the country.

cgeldmacher likes this

31 minutes ago, ACE said:

I suppose he can help a bit, but he's definitely not a facilitator.

RM taught us - the value of having a couple of stretch bigs and the value of having multiple versatile guards who can handle the ball reliably and distribute.

Our top two assists leaders on the 2018-19 (pre-Collins team) were Isabell at 3.6 apg and Goodwin at 3.4 apg.

Top two on the 2017-18 team were Goodwin at 4.0 apg, and Bess at 2.2 apg.

I believe we will see a more tradition offense next season, not based on one ball handler.  Do we have the guys that can do that?  Time will tell.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

He just don't see how a guy who couldn't start for the last three seasons on a team that wasn't as good as the Billikens is less risky than a guy that was stuck behind a two time All-American who was the best big man in the country.

They were good his first year there, with a few veterans at forward. Started a handful of games this year.  My point is, Ware never played.  He was a fan favorite and a big team guy, perhaps Cal wanted him there as long as possible and knew as a 3rd center you will never see much of him. 

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

They were good his first year there, with a few veterans at forward. Started a handful of games this year.  My point is, Ware never played.  He was a fan favorite and a big team guy, perhaps Cal wanted him there as long as possible and knew as a 3rd center you will never see much of him. 

We got to see even less of Hopkins at Kentucky.  Guys like Hopkins and especially Ware were screwed when it came to getting playing the moment Tshiebwe transferred in.  And Ware was the second center on the team averaging about 10 MPG over 28 games.  My guess is Ware got indications that Tshiebwe is coming back next season and decided he wants to go some place he isn't stuck behind an All American and former CPOY for another season.  

So yeah, I would be a little more excited about getting Ware than Allen.  The upside potential is much higher and the floor is about the same.

ACE likes this

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We got to see even less of Hopkins at Kentucky.  Guys like Hopkins and especially Ware were screwed when it came to getting playing the moment Tshiebwe transferred.  And Ware was the second center on the team averaging about 10 MPG over 28 games.  My guess is Ware got indications that Tshiebwe is coming back next season and decided he wants to go some place he isn't stuck behind an All American and former CPOY for another season.  

So yeah, I would be a little more excited about getting Ware than Allen.  The upside potential is much higher and the floor is about the same.

To be clear, other than Medley tweeting at Ware there is no indication SLU has reached out or that he would be interested in SLU.

I'd probably take Ware over Allen as well mainly because I agree he has a higher ceiling and I think he's more of a 5 has more potential as a rim protector on defense.  I also think (not positive) that Ware has 2 season of eligibility left and Allen as 1.

All that being said, even with recent commitments, I'm still more worried about our depth inside than at guard and I'd take both.  With some fluidity in the positions, I think some combo of Medley, Hughes, Parker and Noland can handle the 1/2 with Jimerson/Hargrove/Thames at the 3.  4/5 is Dalger and 3 guys who are question marks (Rivera, Zhang, and van Bussel).

brianstl likes this