Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

It doesn’t. It changes us from a 500 team to a possible 20 win team that doesn’t even get close to an nit invite …. Like last year 

You may be right that next year’s team is a .500 team, but I am not ready to concede that at this point.  I am impressed that you have been able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of all of the new unseen players, and added to the improved returnees, decide on July 15th that this adds up to a .500 team.

6 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I totally agree but then he shouldn't bit.ch and moan about NIL/portal and say multiple times we only want kids who want to be here. Dandridge is the only way this team can be a tourney team (barring an upset run in the A10) tourney so ill wait it out but I also don't mind if the staff says it's time to move on. But Ford once again is speaking out his a$s

I have been as hard as anyone when it comes on Ford’s results and I understand the frustration.  I mocked that comment when it was made, but it is nothing more than coach speak.

1 hour ago, CenHudDude said:

You may be right that next year’s team is a .500 team, but I am not ready to concede that at this point.  I am impressed that you have been able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of all of the new unseen players, and added to the improved returnees, decide on July 15th that this adds up to a .500 team.

Thank you. It’s a strength past down from my dad. 

but really, under ford how many non local kids, who aren’t ranked players, done as frosh.   

27 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Most interesting paragraph in the article was the last:

Barring a couple of individual surprises, Saint Louis isn’t projected to be a top-half A-10 team. And maybe the big man from Memphis doesn’t want to spend his last year in a situation not likely to win, despite having minutes and a large role to offer. That being said, this particular recruitment has had many twists and turns so maybe the Billikens could have one last push in them to try and land this commitment.

58 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Most interesting paragraph in the article was the last:

Barring a couple of individual surprises, Saint Louis isn’t projected to be a top-half A-10 team. And maybe the big man from Memphis doesn’t want to spend his last year in a situation not likely to win, despite having minutes and a large role to offer. That being said, this particular recruitment has had many twists and turns so maybe the Billikens could have one last push in them to try and land this commitment.

OK Harry, go get a foreign big…nobody will remember this guy from Memphis after Zhang Dynasty’s coming out party…

AGB91 and David King like this

8 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

TOTALLY agree.  as torch mentioned, dandridge isnt good enough to get in the ncaa.  so if he makes us a 15 win team vs a 12, who cares.  we would suck regardless.  

12 wins? Ouch. 

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Thank you. It’s a strength past down from my dad. 

but really, under ford how many non local kids, who aren’t ranked players, done as frosh.   

This is a totally new era of re-stocking.  Your assessment of 15 wins may be correct. I’m an optimist though and am not ready to write off the team on July 15th without seeing any of the new players.  We will know soon enough.

If we only win 12 or 15 games next year then the calls for a change will be really loud.  I know some may say well give him his last year he is building something but I would counter that he had 8 years to build something.  I hope the team is very successful and yes I will probably renew my tix but after that maybe not if things are not that better.  I am not buying any hype like some have said lets see the new players and let it play out.

Last year we had proven really good players returning.   Imo the hype was deserved.   This year I think we all can see maybe we have some talent (particularly the guards/wings), but except jimerson, it is unproven and there is no reason to be anything but in the dark on our bigs.  So now we all are in "show me" mode with no patience whatsoever.   

Ford now deserves all the coldness for letting it get like this.  Show us coach.  

No mention of NIL $’s in the Dandridge write up. More about where he could get minutes. If that’s truly the deciding factor, it should be easy for him. We’re the clear winner.  But let’s get real. This is all about the Benjamin’s. Can we match the biggies is the issue?

23 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

For me, I'm okay with Ezewiro (assuming he qualifies), Magassa, Zhang, van Bussel, and Sotirov going into the season.  Got plenty of fouls to give with our Bigs and should be oh so interesting.

Got the feeling Dandridge could be a "cancer" .... maybe better without a "me, me, me" player.

That second part is a valid concern and certainly how he has handled this recruitment doesn’t alleviate those concerns. With regards to your first part, it would be much easier to tell him to buzz off if we knew Ezewiro would be eligible. Does anyone know when the NCAA will get to winter athletes? I don’t have the Tweet in front of me from Goodman, but I recall he Tweeted that the majority of second time undergrad transfers were being denied waivers with minimal exceptions. Assuming Ezewiro is even 50/50, that puts us in a much tougher spot.

Remember in early June when folks were questioning our lack of success in the transfer portal and those in the know hinted at Rucker and Dandridge coming on board in the near future? I assume the past 5+ weeks and this spring/summer as a whole has not gone as planned.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Last year we had proven really good players returning.   Imo the hype was deserved.   This year I think we all can see maybe we have some talent (particularly the guards/wings), but except jimerson, it is unproven and there is no reason to be anything but in the dark on our bigs.  So now we all are in "show me" mode with no patience whatsoever.   

Ford now deserves all the coldness for letting it get like this.  Show us coach.  

Really? "Ford now deserves all the coldness for letting it get like this".  IMO Ford bears near zero blame for letting it "get like this". 

I think the blame goes to this crazy new NIL system that the courts have allowed.  I don't have issue with players "earning" money for their "NIL"  But I don't see very many players truly using their "Name, Image & Likeness" to legitimately make endorsement dollars.  Dandridge will have near zero demand for endorsements in the St. Louis Market.  So how does he garner so much NIL attention?  It's the highest bidder wins.  Seems like college sports are now a very slimy, dirty business.  I don't blame Ford one bit for this drama.  He can get in the "slim" with the big moneyed Power 5 guys for players like Dandrige who seem to be playing one school against another for the biggest payday he can get, or he can walk away.  Either way, Ford is not getting my "coldness" .....  

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

No mention of NIL $’s in the Dandridge write up. More about where he could get minutes. If that’s truly the deciding factor, it should be easy for him. We’re the clear winner.  But let’s get real. This is all about the Benjamin’s. Can we match the biggies is the issue?

Whenever they say its not about the money, its always about the money.

Lord Elrond likes this

16 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

But I don't see very many players truly using their "Name, Image & Likeness" to legitimately make endorsement dollars.  Dandridge will have near zero demand for endorsements in the St. Louis Market.  So how does he garner so much NIL attention?  It's the highest bidder wins.

That's right. The only athlete I am seeing that is truly utilizing NIL as I think it was intended is Luther Burden who had DJ (RIP) helping him get lined up with various local businesses. In a very short period of time it became exactly what it was said to not be. I think A&M started the ball moving in the wrong direction on the football side and then everyone had to follow suit to keep up and then it got to basketball and now here we are with the transfer market exploding.

28 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Really? "Ford now deserves all the coldness for letting it get like this".  IMO Ford bears near zero blame for letting it "get like this". 

I think the blame goes to this crazy new NIL system that the courts have allowed.  I don't have issue with players "earning" money for their "NIL"  But I don't see very many players truly using their "Name, Image & Likeness" to legitimately make endorsement dollars.  Dandridge will have near zero demand for endorsements in the St. Louis Market.  So how does he garner so much NIL attention?  It's the highest bidder wins.  Seems like college sports are now a very slimy, dirty business.  I don't blame Ford one bit for this drama.  He can get in the "slim" with the big moneyed Power 5 guys for players like Dandrige who seem to be playing one school against another for the biggest payday he can get, or he can walk away.  Either way, Ford is not getting my "coldness" .....  

fords horrible floor coaching and player development led to the very underachieving season last year.   Last year should have been the greatest billiken season ever.   instead it left the fan base in major disappointment.   you dont think that underachieving season affected recruiting and fund raising and keeping players that were previous committed?   i do.  big time.   I agree the NiL is horrible and will eventually kill division one basketball as we know it.   soon to come a division 1 and a division 1A and we likely blew any chance of moving up to a bigger and better conference.  but had ford won big like imo we should have last year, we would be poised for all good things.   now we sit here hoping (unrealistically) imo.  

i was always the biggest billiken homer in the world.   but no more.   it is time to put up.  and if ford cant make that happen pretty dam quick, we need to move on.   we need to committ a hell of a lot more $ to the program to at least try to compete in the NiL.   again i dont like it.  but it isnt going away.   so now we have to buck up or face being nothing but a future buy team.   but at least we are a top academic school right?

Bizziken and TheA_Bomb like this

When you think about people saying NIL money has made college athletics a dirty business, its actually made it cleaner. Prior to NIL passing, getting top recruits was a slimy under the table behind closed doors business, eg a poor kid suddenly arrives on campus driving a new Jeep Wrangler. NIL money has now somewhat leveled the playing field at least at the P5 level where their big moneyed donors can fight it out in the free agent market. But it’s all being done in the light of day. 
What has made college sports a little crazy is the portal. Doing away with the year sit out rule has made recruiting of HS players a virtual non factor in building a program thru player retention and development. The portal is a program killer. 

Agree that it isn't NIL by itself that's the threat.  It's the combination of the NIL and the portal, which is defacto free agency.  If a mid-major program was a major player before the portal, they can leverage their winning tradition to continue being a major player.  So what's that, about 7 programs?  Everybody else is just fighting for survival.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

That second part is a valid concern and certainly how he has handled this recruitment doesn’t alleviate those concerns. With regards to your first part, it would be much easier to tell him to buzz off if we knew Ezewiro would be eligible. Does anyone know when the NCAA will get to winter athletes? I don’t have the Tweet in front of me from Goodman, but I recall he Tweeted that the majority of second time undergrad transfers were being denied waivers with minimal exceptions. Assuming Ezewiro is even 50/50, that puts us in a much tougher spot.

The NCAA Waiver Desk is going full bore on football two time transfers right now.  I have no idea when they will finish up there.  If we hear in August on Brad, I would be happy.  The way I am looking at this is that until Ezewiro is granted a waiver, I'm not counting on him suiting up this season.

Also, SLU hasn't heard on Thames' medical redshirt waiver.  The Waiver Desk has a lot going on right now.