Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love labels. I guess I'm in the... initially lukewarm on the Ford hire, but quickly enthused based on the staff he assembled and the quick rebuild of the roster thru recruiting of quality transfers, locals like Goodwin and East Coast players, but then recognized the bad break of S2 in slowing down the rebuild, but quickly optimistic again following the trip to the Dance, and further encouraged with the next three seasons, but disappointed in how it played out with some bad luck of one season being canceled, another being derailed due to team COVID and the 3rd blown up by the Perk season-ender - robbing us of at least 1 certain trip to the Dance and possibly more during this period, but then becoming less enthusiastic about recruiting and staff with the Forte hire and misguided recruiting strategy, along with a failure to round out last year's roster, and further disappointed with the on-court performance and now not impressed with the recruiting efforts this offseason, but really even more than Ford MUCH more worried about the impacts of the NET, free agency and NIL on most non-P6 programs like SLU... crowd.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

further encouraged with the next three seasons, but disappointed in how it played out with some bad luck of one season being canceled, another being derailed due to team COVID and the 3rd blown up by the Perk season-ender - robbing us of at least 1 certain trip to the Dance and possibly more during this period

When was the certain trip to the Dance?

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

When was the certain trip to the Dance?

2020-21.

With wins over LSU and NC State finished the non-conference portion of the season at the end of December, ranked in the Top 25. Then didn't play again for over a month due to covid. As it turned out, they were still in the "Last Four Out" of the NCAA Tourney and finished the regular season with the best NET of any team to miss the Dance.

AGB91 and slufan13 like this

4 hours ago, ACE said:

I love labels. I guess I'm in the... initially lukewarm on the Ford hire, but quickly enthused based on the staff he assembled and the quick rebuild of the roster thru recruiting of quality transfers, locals like Goodwin and East Coast players, but then recognized the bad break of S2 in slowing down the rebuild, but quickly optimistic again following the trip to the Dance, and further encouraged with the next three seasons, but disappointed in how it played out with some bad luck of one season being canceled, another being derailed due to team COVID and the 3rd blown up by the Perk season-ender - robbing us of at least 1 certain trip to the Dance and possibly more during this period, but then becoming less enthusiastic about recruiting and staff with the Forte hire and misguided recruiting strategy, along with a failure to round out last year's roster, and further disappointed with the on-court performance and now not impressed with the recruiting efforts this offseason, but really even more than Ford MUCH more worried about the impacts of the NET, free agency and NIL on most non-P6 programs like SLU... crowd.

Great post.  You can label me as in that "camp" as well.

12 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Well, wasn't worried in early June about those last two spots ...... but dang, getting late.

It seems like a giant game of musical chairs, or maybe everyone is playing chicken. There are hundreds of players who were on someone’s roster last year who have eligibility left, went to the portal, but still don’t have a spot on a team. Meanwhile, St Louis is hardly the only team with roster spots open. Maybe this is the new normal?

16 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

It seems like a giant game of musical chairs, or maybe everyone is playing chicken. There are hundreds of players who were on someone’s roster last year who have eligibility left, went to the portal, but still don’t have a spot on a team. Meanwhile, St Louis is hardly the only team with roster spots open. Maybe this is the new normal?

Imagine it’s the new normal, wonder how much of the slowdown might be due to NIL dealings? Nerve wracking.

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Is the drop dead date to get a schollie tied to when school starts or before? 

I would think that the last day to register for classes in the fall is the deadline to get a player in. Otherwise, how would they be academically eligible? 

I'm trying to be cool on these open spots. But it's been a while.  Like Pitbull says, "don't stop the party. " So come on surprise us with a difference maker.

Bizziken likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

And where’s Zheng? I’m beginning to think he’ll be a no show. 

It’s been reported that he will be here soon. What makes you think he’s not coming? Or are you just sitting around waiting to hate on the program at every opportunity, hoping you might be correct?

gabriel likes this

33 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm trying to be cool on these open spots. But it's been a while.  Like Pitbull says, "don't stop the party. " So come on surprise us with a difference maker.

Best I can do is a “project” to sit on the bench for 1-2 seasons then transfer. Sorry

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Best I can do is a “project” to sit on the bench for 1-2 seasons then transfer. Sorry

I feel like you're trying to stop the party and I don't like it

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I would think that the last day to register for classes in the fall is the deadline to get a player in. Otherwise, how would they be academically eligible? 

Yes but it use to be that after some date in early to mid summer you had to sign a financial agreement rather than get a schollie - just semantics I guess.

1 hour ago, gabriel said:

His twitter likes have a ton of SLU in them, including liking one about the new assistant.

west pine bills think nothings happening on that front but they don’t know much and all things are pointing towards him still coming here.

Hope so—he’s rated by one source as one of the top 5 transfers still available:

https://nesn.com/bets/2023/06/top-30-available-players-in-college-basketballs-transfer-portal/amp/

1 hour ago, gabriel said:

His twitter likes have a ton of SLU in them, including liking one about the new assistant.

west pine bills think nothings happening on that front but they don’t know much and all things are pointing towards him still coming here.

At some point it has to get to a sh!t or get off the pot moment. The majority of the roster is on campus. He’s either in or out. Nothing is going to change between now and August 20th.