Transfers - 2023

ACE

Interesting comments from today's Field of 68.

There is also suggestions that some schools are giving a 'walk on' significant NIL deals to compensate them for lack of a scholarship.  That will put them over the 13 limit.  So do you want the money, and be the 14th or 15th man on the team, or do you want a scholarship, with less NIL money, and play basketball at a 'lesser' school.

2. The portal never sleeps

Kentucky will enter the slow summer months with one open roster spot. But it’s hardly the only program still in search of players.

Among high-major programs, 17 schools still have an open scholarship, including likely preseason Top 25 teams such as Kansas, Marquette, North Carolina, Texas and Baylor.

Whether that’s a hindrance (depth is only an issue when you have injuries), or a bonus because of future flexibility (why use a scholarship on a guy who’s going to ride the bench?) is TBD.

And what about the schools over their max number of scholarships?

Per Andrew Parrish’s scholarship tracker, more than 25 programs are at 14 or more scholarship players. Some may re-enter the portal and others may play overseas. Then again, with about 500 players still in the transfer portal, things could still get messy this summer.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Scoop said:

Good sign he left NYC without committing and is liking SLU on social media. We should know something this week. Come to the Lou, Big Dawg!

Obviously I won’t care if he ends up a Billiken, but doesn’t the fact that he hasn’t committed with it being the end of June point to him not being sold on SLU? Like I said, if he ends up here who overly cares, but certainly an odd one. It feels like he has been hoping for other programs to jump in and make him a better offer so to say.

Also, does anyone know where there is a roster that includes the most recent guys Harriman has helped us land?

In press this offseason, Ford and his staff have stressed the importance of recruiting players who want to be here. Dandridge hit the portal on May 10. We first saw SLU linked to his name on May 22, meaning we contacted him sometime during those 12 days, and meaning it's been over five weeks that we've been actively recruiting him.

I don't blame him for pursuing NIL, but I wonder what dollar amount he's holding this whole thing up over. And I have a hard time classifying him as someone who really wants to be here if he's just playing SLU and Memphis off each other.

billiken_roy and JMM28 like this

Know it won't matter , but saw Penny got a 3 game suspension for a recruiting violation 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting comments from today's Field of 68.

There is also suggestions that some schools are giving a 'walk on' significant NIL deals to compensate them for lack of a scholarship.  That will put them over the 13 limit.  So do you want the money, and be the 14th or 15th man on the team, or do you want a scholarship, with less NIL money, and play basketball at a 'lesser' school.

2. The portal never sleeps

Kentucky will enter the slow summer months with one open roster spot. But it’s hardly the only program still in search of players.

Among high-major programs, 17 schools still have an open scholarship, including likely preseason Top 25 teams such as Kansas, Marquette, North Carolina, Texas and Baylor.

Whether that’s a hindrance (depth is only an issue when you have injuries), or a bonus because of future flexibility (why use a scholarship on a guy who’s going to ride the bench?) is TBD.

And what about the schools over their max number of scholarships?

Per Andrew Parrish’s scholarship tracker, more than 25 programs are at 14 or more scholarship players. Some may re-enter the portal and others may play overseas. Then again, with about 500 players still in the transfer portal, things could still get messy this summer.

With NIL, high dollar programs are never over the scholarship limit.  You switch the player to walk-on and NIL can pay his tuition.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

In press this offseason, Ford and his staff have stressed the importance of recruiting players who want to be here. Dandridge hit the portal on May 10. We first saw SLU linked to his name on May 22, meaning we contacted him sometime during those 12 days, and meaning it's been over five weeks that we've been actively recruiting him.

I don't blame him for pursuing NIL, but I wonder what dollar amount he's holding this whole thing up over. And I have a hard time classifying him as someone who really wants to be here if he's just playing SLU and Memphis off each other.

I'd put him in the tool column and pull any offer out there at this point. He isn't a guy who is good enough to play the late night booty call role. He is a defense only guy who has a real problem with fouls. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

This bothers me.  In certain situations I 100% agree, this late in the game, with not a lot of talent left, you gotta make it work the best you can even if he truly just wants the money and doesn't care where. 

11 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I'd put him in the tool column and pull any offer out there at this point. He isn't a guy who is good enough to play the late night booty call role. He is a defense only guy who has a real problem with fouls. 

Maybe he just wants a few trips and to be "wined and dined" ...... nothing wrong with wanting to have a good time.

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Maybe he just wants a few trips and to be "wined and dined" ...... nothing wrong with wanting to have a good time.

Would be me if I was a college player. 

The definition of "it's getting late" is changing.  Looking at the scholarship tracker linked in the Field of 68, only 4 A10 teams have 13 on the roster. (Another source shows Fordham with 13).  With over 500 players still in the portal (and more joining daily), there will be movement up until school  begins across the country. 

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The definition of "it's getting late" is changing.  Looking at the scholarship tracker linked in the Field of 68, only 4 A10 teams have 13 on the roster. (Another source shows Fordham with 13).  With over 500 players still in the portal (and more joining daily), there will be movement up until school  begins across the country. 

Have you taken a gander through that list?  rough guess is about 30% of that list are players who would be borderline walk on's at our level or higher, and another 30% shouldn't be playing at this level.   Really only a handful of the players we have a realistic shot at could help make our team better on paper.  And most teams like you mentioned in the A10 have a strong idea of their starting 5, and probably just looking to add bench pieces. That's not us, at all. We're needing possibly 2 starters.   Also why is it ok to "bank" off of hoping that other players enter the portal late, that's incredibly risky, and stupid tbh if that's the goal.  This offseason has not gone to plan, we're striking out on players left and right. We're entering July with too many question marks still to be answered. The pool we have to choose from has dwindled in terms of talent.

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't think the definition of late will ever change (summer school and various summer team activities still have essentially the same start time), the prevalence of guys still finding a home into July or even up to the beginning of the school year may though. I don't think needing to add key pieces into July will ever be a good thing, but potentially puts us in a unique spot with a big like Dandridge who could be looking at a starting spot here.

We’re not banking on late arrivals to the portal, we’re definitely swinging a lot and missing. Before NIL Ford would have landed his guys by now. We just don’t have enough money to compete for these guys and that’s all that matters. 

MB73 likes this

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

We’re not banking on late arrivals to the portal, we’re definitely swinging a lot and missing. Before NIL Ford would have landed his guys by now. We just don’t have enough money to compete for these guys and that’s all that matters. 

100% agree.  The issue, this is what it is now. 

Our recruiting the past few years has been pretty poor. Something needed to change and hopefully the addition of Harriman and whoever the other guy is gives us that needed boost. It certainly hasn't helped that the talent locally has been down so much and the market for transfers has now appeared to go to a level we are seemingly unable to.

29 minutes ago, willie said:

Since foreign players can't play in the NIL is that our answer to recruiting? 

Foreign players can play NIL.  The only thing is no part of the deal can be in the US for visa reasons.  

So hypothetically if their was a  SLU grad who lives in Sydney and owns a NBL team, that SLU grad could make NIL payments in Australia to an Australian SLU basketball player for using their NIL in Australia.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Foreign players can play NIL.  The only thing is no part of the deal can be in the US for visa reasons.  

So hypothetically if their was a  SLU grad who lives in Sydney and owns a NBL team, that SLU grad could make NIL payments in Australia to an Australian SLU basketball player for using their NIL in Australia.

I think programs are finding ways to ensure International athletes are able to benefit from NIL beyond just that scenario which I agree would likely be the cleanest.

Teams with 2 or more open schollies as of June 24. 

High majors with 2+ scholarships still open:

ACC Georgia Tech Miami North Carolina Notre Dame

Big East Georgetown Marquette

B10 Michigan Nebraska Rutgers

B12 Baylor Kansas Kansas State Texas West Virginia

PAC12 Stanford UCLA

SEC Kentucky