Billiken Victory Fund

SluSignGuy

Just now, slubillikens43 said:

If he did stay he'd actually have a legit backup in Medley next year

Maybe.  If he stayed, I think we would desperately need another solid ball handler, maybe a CG. 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Troy and group, thanks for putting this together, I realize it is very new but don't understand this quote "The fundraising in the last week has gained a lot of momentum. I’m comfortable saying we will have all the money we need in 30 days.”

I am sure the wild speculation will begin

The Valley Sucks likes this

23 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Troy and group, thanks for putting this together, I realize it is very new but don't understand this quote "The fundraising in the last week has gained a lot of momentum. I’m comfortable saying we will have all the money we need in 30 days.”

transfer portal opens

1 minute ago, SLU_Nick said:

How much money do we need? 

not directed at little bill.  What is the going rate for someone who can stay in front of their man on defense? 

This is a high end example of money in the transfer portal:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nijel-pack-transfers-to-miami-former-kansas-state-star-to-earn-800000-in-nil-deal-with-lifewallet/

33 minutes ago, courtside said:

$800,000 for two years.  That gets your family out of any debt it may have and really start some intergenerational wealth.  Let's hope players don't blow it all by the time they're 30.  Some will, yes, but schools should make personal finance education at least available.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

I would bet that this is for this cycle. For the spring recruiting and existing roster players that will stay

2 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

$800,000 for two years.  That gets your family out of any debt it may have and really start some intergenerational wealth.  Let's hope players don't blow it all by the time they're 30.  Some will, yes, but schools should make personal finance education at least available.

Here's a counter example for those that cannot afford that or choose not to go that route. Ed Cooley who is very good at landing transfers, and Shaka Smart, who has had zero healthy ones. There isn't just one way to do it. You just have to be good at the way you do it or combination of the ways you do it:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-how-marquette-became-one-of-college-basketballs-best-teams-despite-shunning-transfer-portal/

13 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think the NCAA is going to regret just sharing a portion of the TV money with athletes and being done with it. Oh well, they deserve what they are getting, unfortunately we are getting it too

Agreed. I expect this to look like the Yankees or the Dodgers buying free agents with the Royals and the Pirates on the outside looking in. And I expect intra-team jealousies and squabbles too. 

No matter the money or the players they decide to pay, their pool of players is just not going to be the same as a program like Mizzou. SLU is a middling team in a low mid-major, a one bid conference. A conference where they are treated like a red-headed step child, a conference that has either the worst officiating EVER or officiating that is acting out a conference directive as to who wins. I think it is a combination of both. SLU is what it is and I can't figure out why they remain in the A-10. There must be a buyout or a contractual obligation they have to fulfill before leaving. They would do better to get together with other teams of their ilk, like Memphis, and Cincinnati , who are located in the midwest and forming a conference grouping in an already established conference, much like the team in the current Big East did when they changed the membership so drastically. SLU has come a long way from the West Pine Gym and Kiel era. Back then it was a revelation when Rich Grawer re-lit the fire for SLU basketball. He did it with the help of some local kids who wanted to play. Times have changed. I just wish SLU would get into a conference where some rivalries and regional competition could be reborn. The A-10 could not be a more BLAH home for the Bills.

"No matter the money or the players they decide to pay, their pool of players is just not going to be the same as a program like Mizzou. SLU is a middling team in a low mid-major, a one bid conference"

Spoken like almost every Missouri fan I ever met.  Why are you here?  

Troy hit Frank's show also.  Troy mentioned that while the athlete may be "looking good" with NIL money, he hopes those families that need support will also benefit through the student.  Rammer asked how the Collective will communicate with players on a frequent basis, yet still stay away from studies and the practices, games, etc.  Keeping the players focused on their athletic job will be a huge challenge. 

If you have a business and want a particular athlete, you go through the Influencer App, the school approves and registers the business, and then the business can communicate directly with the athlete.  Has nothing to do with the Collective.  You can support anyone you chose through this pathway.

Collective, of course - wink wink - cannot participate in recruiting. Troy says it is a state law, and the NCAA says 'there shall be no enticement for matriculation'.  

BVF can be mentioned by the coaching staff during recruiting. 

Good news, MBM's, there is no maximum $$ you can denote.   

BVL cannot honor a request that $$ to go to a selected athlete. That would go thru the App.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

stmdragons and majerus mojo like this

57 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

They would do better to get together with other teams of their ilk, like Memphis, and Cincinnati , who are located in the midwest and forming a conference grouping in an already established conference, 

When you say teams of their ilk you mean public football schools?

UC has 50,000 undergrads.

Box and Won likes this

18 hours ago, BC1764 said:

No matter the money or the players they decide to pay, their pool of players is just not going to be the same as a program like Mizzou. SLU is a middling team in a low mid-major, a one bid conference. A conference where they are treated like a red-headed step child, a conference that has either the worst officiating EVER or officiating that is acting out a conference directive as to who wins. I think it is a combination of both. SLU is what it is and I can't figure out why they remain in the A-10. There must be a buyout or a contractual obligation they have to fulfill before leaving. They would do better to get together with other teams of their ilk, like Memphis, and Cincinnati , who are located in the midwest and forming a conference grouping in an already established conference, much like the team in the current Big East did when they changed the membership so drastically. SLU has come a long way from the West Pine Gym and Kiel era. Back then it was a revelation when Rich Grawer re-lit the fire for SLU basketball. He did it with the help of some local kids who wanted to play. Times have changed. I just wish SLU would get into a conference where some rivalries and regional competition could be reborn. The A-10 could not be a more BLAH home for the Bills.

No matter the money or the players they decide to pay, their pool of players is just not going to be the same as a program like Mizzou.

Money talks and BS walks.  Sad, or not so sad, but true.  Imagine a person who has one sack of money in from them to do one thing in one location away from home.  Or two sacks of money in front of them to do the same thing, but in a different location, also away from home.  I know what I would do.

18 year olds like money, and like more money even more.  Not so different from fast food workers, doctors, salespeople.  

I really don't feel like donating to this as long as Ford is couch.  He's demonstrated that no matter what talent he has he doesn't get results.  If I thought it would make a difference I'd be on board.

Schasz likes this